The Dark Mod Forums

Dishonored - game by Arkane studio

Diego

They don't hide that it is an action game, so the similarities might be stronger between hitman than thief. But this non linear map is much more thief than hitman! I enjoyed the hitman games, but every time I could choose a way of doing something it seemed like it was predicted by the mapper (you can either whack this conveniently lost postman or that also conveniently lost delivery boy). It's nice to see Thief being copied, in the good way, for a change.

Not being a fanboy here, Thief 1 and 2 are obviously successful games with lots of novel design ideas that just don't seem to be explored (copied in the good way). We see this happening all the time with all kinds of games. When something works it gets copied. It might even become a genre on its own, like wolfenstein > Doom > Duke Nukem. Same idea pushed further.

Well, Digi is working on this one (Thief FM - Cosas) and Purah (Calendra's -- Arx Fatalis). It's cool to see people you have worked on projects with go on to be successful industry artists. I will buy it for no other reason to support those guys. But I think it's going to be a cool game anyway.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Well, Digi is working on this one (Thief FM - Cosas) and Purah (Calendra's -- Arx Fatalis). It's cool to see people you have worked on projects with go on to be successful industry artists. I will buy it for no other reason to support those guys. But I think it's going to be a cool game anyway.

Really? How awesome!

Graphically it looks fucking horrible ie OLD, like clive barker's undying level of graphical fidelity. Typical console crap. God I'm so jaded.

Man I loved Clive Barker's Undying. SUDDEN... URGE... TO REINSTALL!!! Anyone know if it works on Windows 7? =-P

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Man I loved Clive Barker's Undying. SUDDEN... URGE... TO REINSTALL!!! Anyone know if it works on Windows 7? =-P

It should work decently it's Unreal Engine (not sure which version). I mean even The Wheel of Time works pretty decently on Win 7 so hopefully you don't have issues.

Now I wasn't talking about gameplay, it could be brilliant, but it's just the graphics level leaves a lot to be desired.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am still a little bit in doubt if Dishonored would meet my expectations. Can I play it like a Thief game?

I bought Fallout 3 in the recent Steam Summer Sale and I was kinda disappointed because especially the art design and immersion wasn't at the high level of perfection I expected and most people described. You can now say: "Oh, you ignorant bastard." But it was one of my frist trips into first person RPGs, and it just don't felt right. (I will soon see, if I will make the same mistake with Skyrim again.)

So... should I buy it or will I get frustrated by art design and too many open world options again?

Btw.: eurogamer: Dishonored's Corvo used to sure look a lot like Thief's Garrett

I recommend watching a Let's Play before you buy a recent game (hell, even for many older games there are Let's Plays. This way, you can easily get an impression of what is waiting for you. Also, I'm currently running a Let's Play of the German P&C adventure game "Deponia" parallel to my work. I'd never play an adventure game myself, but it's entertaining watching others do it, especially if you don't need to extremely concentrate on what's happening on the screen (as opposed to an FPS, for example).

Watching a Let's Play of Skyrim might be a good idea, while at the same time keeping in mind that there are tons of mods out there that drastically improve the look/feel of vanilla Skyrim.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I saw some episodes from a Dishonored Let's Play now. There is one thing I want to ask someone who have already bought the game: Is there an option to turn off all these "Press F to take" etc. overlays?

Can I qicksave?

I hope there will be a fan who will create a HD Texturepack for this game... it is definitely needed.

@7upMan: About Deponia: Yes, with Harveys new Eyes and The Whispered World they did a great job but Deponia isn't in a scenario I like. Fun fact: Have you noticed, that the german voice actor for Rufus is the one from the Congstar commercial and "Schnösel" from Werner and "Ups die Pannenshow"?

Edited by Radiant

The voice actor for Rufus is Monty Arnold, a well known comedian. I for one like his voice. As a matter of fact, I like all the voice acting. My resistance toward buying and playing Deponia for myself is beginning to waver, as I find that in

, I know the way to solve some riddles way earlier than Gronkh himself. But personal favour is generally something that cannot really be discussed. You either like it - or you don't.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

So... should I buy it or will I get frustrated by art design and too many open world options again?

Now there's a question.

I'm only a little way in, but so far it's not as good as Thief and I've got some small grumbles and some actual proper sizeable grumbles too (faux open world stuff included). But that said, I'm having a blast and I'm loving being in the world and soaking up the vibe, the art, the atmosphere and all that. I can't remember the last time I could say that about a AAA game. Ok I can. It was 13 years ago and it had Looking Glass Studios' logo on the box.

Yes, you can turn almost everything annoying off.

I am still a little bit in doubt if Dishonored would meet my expectations. Can I play it like a Thief game?

You can play it similar to a Thief game, meaning trying to stay out of sight, knocking out guards, grabbing valuables etc. You don't need to kill a single person in the whole game if you don't want to, not even your "targets" - there's always nonlethal ways to take them out. The actual sneaking/hiding mechanics are different though - shadows don't make you "invisible", they only impact the distance somewhat at which guards can see you.

It's not really "open world", but focused missions/levels in which you can choose how to approach your goals.

Is there an option to turn off all these "Press F to take" etc. overlays?

You can turn off quite a lot of the UI, tho i haven't specifically checked for this one.

Can I qicksave?

Yes.

So far (on the second assassination mission), I am very happy about this game. After you turn up the difficulty and turn off a lot of the console-like handholding, it plays a lot like a more action-oriented Thief, and is pleasantly difficult (although I wish they had yet another level over Very Hard). I have no idea what constitutes superb graphics nowadays, but to my eyes, it looks very good and very distinct: watercoloury, slightly comic bookish, and very ambitious. There are some areas which not only look right out of a Thief mission, the stylistic touches suggest they might have been built or designed by Purah and/or Digital Nightfall. The story/background has depth and actual moral ambiguity.

I don't want to rush to conclusions, but so far, it looks like probably the best thing since Looking Glass walked the earth.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Thank you very much for all of your advices. ;)

Well, I have bought it yesterday and I have to say: It's really nice! :D

I found some nice tweaks in the official forum to get a nicer visual appereance:

Open: X:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Dishonored\DishonoredGame\Config\DishonoredEngine.ini

Search for [systemSettings] and set the following values:

AmbientOcclusion=True

DetailMode=4

MaxAnisotropy=16

MaxMultisamples=2 //Anti-Ailiasing mode 2,4,8, depending on your graphics card

One thing I wanna ask again: I've read a hint, that you can move faster when you havent equipped a weapon. But with which key can I put them away?

The game seems to sell good: http://www.gamesthirst.com/2012/10/22/dishonored-continues-to-sell-well-says-pete-hines/

Great news for Thief 4 and a sequel...

I don't want to rush to conclusions, but so far, it looks like probably the best thing since Looking Glass walked the earth.

I was also that enthusiastic about the game at first, but after some time I found it a little dry and repetitive. It is still a nice game nevertheless, but as far as enjoyment is concerned, it doesn't keep up with Deus Ex or Thief on the long run, in my oppinion.

I found some nice tweaks in the official forum to get a nicer visual appereance:

Open: X:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Dishonored\DishonoredGame\Config\DishonoredEngine.ini

Search for [systemSettings] and set the following values:

AmbientOcclusion=True

DetailMode=4

MaxAnisotropy=16

MaxMultisamples=2 //Anti-Ailiasing mode 2,4,8, depending on your graphics card

Hmn, I had also played around with these settings, but couldn't detect a major difference. I suppose you'll have to enable AO in the driver as well or this cvar is simply obsolete. Have to try DetailMode later though. I thought I had it already maxed out...

One thing I wanna ask again: I've read a hint, that you can move faster when you havent equipped a weapon. But with which key can I put them away?

Hold down the f key. It is even possible to only have one hand equipped. I can't reproduce that reliably however. Sometimes when I holstered my weapons and I press right mouse key, I only have e.g. blink equipped.

Finally played! well, I'm not disappointed at all, it's a great game! and the inspiration on T2 is so big you can almost draw a one to one correlation. Looking at the story alone we have The keepers, hammerites, an invented word like taffer (choffer?), Karras and it goes on. But it manages to do it without feeling like a cheap ripoff, it is a very original game and it is fundamentally different from thief in many levels.

I recommend playing it.

I was also that enthusiastic about the game at first, but after some time I found it a little dry and repetitive. It is still a nice game nevertheless, but as far as enjoyment is concerned, it doesn't keep up with Deus Ex or Thief on the long run, in my oppinion.

Agree on both. I quit after the second mission, went back and tried to continue, but quit again. I was so bored, can't believe it. I always finish games, even if I don't like them, but this was the first time I just quit. But I'd rather give my 50 Euro to Arkane than any other dev, so I'm ok with having bought this. Most seem to like it though and it seems to sell, so I guess it a good new start for Arkane.

By the way, I played a bit of Doom 3 expansion and I lol'd at the talking techno heart, which... can slow down time.

... Hold down the f key. ...

Thanks, that worked. I played it for 6 h (-30min for keyboard setup, etc.) now and I'm still in mission 1 like it seems. The tests I've read, talked about 12 h in total. So... does the testers just run through, alarming everything or am I just slow? (I really looked into every corner so far, because I don't wanna miss anything.)