The Dark Mod Forums

Dishonored - game by Arkane studio

Diego

I'm now in the Flooded District and something cool happened.

I found High Overseer Campbell as a weeper at the bottom of the refinery, as I elected to let him live as an outcast Heretic

yeah,thats pretty cool,i noticed it too

too bad there's no

Pendelton brothers over there

btw its kinda overrated game,much better than any modern game though,but still overrated.i alredy wrote why over ttlg thread :

The whole point of magic is making game easier for today gamers which is rather dumb.Blink is dumbed down version of rope arrows from Thief and perks like Agility is version of augmentations from Deus Ex,but unlike Deus Ex they require nothing and always activated.I'm not even want to mention "Dark Vision" which allows you to find secrets and see AI vison field,Rat Swarm you mentioned,time stopping and that dumb "Fus Ro Dah" power...

Only cool magic is "Possesion" because it allows you to go through nonobvious ways.

Also looking for runes is not challenging in any way,because "Heart" could show you their direct location.

kinda overrated game

Talking on the levels... they are nice,but overall design is soooooo Half Life 2'ish which is pretty damn bad

Proceed with caution!

The whole point of magic is making game easier for today gamers which is rather dumb.Blink is dumbed down version of rope arrows from Thief and perks like Agility is version of augmentations from Deus Ex,but unlike Deus Ex they require nothing and always activated.I'm not even want to mention "Dark Vision" which allows you to find secrets and see AI vison field,Rat Swarm you mentioned,time stopping and that dumb "Fus Ro Dah" power...

Cough! Cough! Invisibility potions! Cough! Cough!

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

making the game easier for today players

Welcome to the new age :D

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Cough! Cough! Invisibility potions! Cough! Cough!

few questions : how long invisibility lasts and how much potions player have ?

its lasts no longer than minute and player usually have no more than 1 or 2 potions

in dishonored your powers is almost unlimited

Welcome to the new age :D

new age clearly sucks

I am amazed how people "eating" clearly poor games like mass effect,COD,skyrim ect.

the grass was greener back in my day

Proceed with caution!

and the sun shone brighter oh yeaheh

the flowers bloomed in 8 bit only

and the world seemed much happier for me

Refrain (whistle)

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

@ Shadowhide - I cant wait to see your reaction to Thi4f when Garrett can upgrade his Keeper powers eg summon a horde of burricks to fight for him or fire a laser beam from his mechanical eye, by finding various glyphs hidden throughout the levels.

You know its going to happen. Thank the ending of TDS for that.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

@ Shadowhide - I cant wait to see your reaction to Thi4f when Garrett can upgrade his Keeper powers eg summon a horde of burricks to fight for him or fire a laser beam from his mechanical eye, by finding various glyphs hidden throughout the levels.

You know its going to happen. Thank the ending of TDS for that.

i'm pretty sure thi4f is cancelled.It was announced in 2009 and there is no official news since then

um...i never finished TDS

Edited by Shadowhide

Proceed with caution!

Hehe, guess we didn't have to wait for you to get old :-)

I do agree that far too many games today are designed like theme parks where you could just sit back and enjoy the whole experience without much thought, that way you'll never miss all the cool things developers have created :-/

I'll hold off any opinions on Dishonoured until I get to play it (after a computer upgrade), but it does look pretty good from what little I've seen.

You don't have to use the powers. I was ghosting as much as I could without using Blink, only for a few emergencies. It's a real challenge, and fun. If there's a difference to Thief or TDM, it's if you're caught, in T2 or TDM I'll try to run away, but in Dishonored it's usually easier to just take them out. Trying to keep low chaos is what gave me the biggest incentive not to get caught.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Finished the game, all non-lethal. I didnt put any restrictions on powers, which makes things a lot easier. Possession and Bend Time II allow some unique ways to either circumvent or neutralize difficult patrols. I mean hell, theoretically with bend time 2 you could take out 10 guards that are all looking at eachother with 10 sleep bolts simultaneously and nobody would even see a body fall. I went pretty minimalist with expenditure of equipment and mana, though. mostly tried to keep things to just blink and x-ray vision, but double choking 2 guys having a conversation with bend time is just so much fun.

Next up i'm going all-lethal on hardest difficulty, no power restrictions, possibly iron-man on a per-level basis. not expecting it to be hard, but I'm dying to let loose with the crazy power and equipment killing sprees. rats + springrazors = pwn.

Best of both worlds is ghosting through, saving regularly, then if you do get spotted, you can enjoy a bloodbath then reload and play it 'properly.' Second time through and I'm enjoying it as much as the first which is rare for me in this sort of game - well, in any sort of game except abstract games like pacman, chess, fracas (which I play endlessly.)

Funniest scene:

In Boyle party I came in the opposite way from my first play - top down. While trespassing upstairs I dashed into a small room, closed the door, nothing much there. Went to the door and looked through keyhole to see if coast was clear. Door disappeared and guard stood there! That's not the funny bit. I realised he must have just opened the door as I was looking through so I reloaded. No time to escape. I hid under a washstand or something and waited. Then I realised what sort of room this was. Immediately in front of me slight to the left was one of those chamber pot commode things. With a sinking feeling I watched the guard come in and take a leak practically in my face! He then left without washing his hands, the blaggard!

Later, when I joined the party, one guest I spoke to grumbled that I smelt like a sewer (though he might have said that anyway I don't know. Reminds me of the Thief guard comment 'smells like dead meat.' Anyway, hell I just remembered seeing a sewer entrance down in the basement but forgot to check it out! I've already escaped to Sam via the garden. I've found so many new things on this second playthrough I never saw before. For instance, I successfully completed the duel by lobbing a grenade from the balcony. It said something about don't worry about the mess! You can also shoot down the balloons with crossbow etc.

Ahaha that's classic.

The funniest thing I did was actually a bug -- breaking a conversation because, trained as I have been by Thief & TDM, I originally came into my room (at the very start) from the roof, and then I came downstairs to see

the owner & maid just standing in the hallway looking at each other silent. Then I walked to them & triggered the guy to go back upstairs to show me my room. I followed him all the way back up just for him to say "So this is your room" and stop. And then walking back downstairs & down the hallway I triggered the "opening conversation" where the owner & maid talk to each other (she says something like "Can we trust this new guy...?" after she's already seen me twice now). So the maid turned to the wall and started "talking" to the bar owner who was now upstairs responding to her... I ended up triggering the entire sequence completely backwards, lol.

I ended up replaying actual assassinations over a few times, just to try it different ways or to get the perfect or most clean kill, or especially if I found a different location that worked a lot better... And I liked how they throw in so different possibilities. Even if it's a normal kill you can get custom animations or something.

P.S. I didn't know what Fracas was until I just looked it up, but it reminds me that I play an Axis & Allies clone called Triple-A incessantly, which is in the same neighborhood. It has to be one of the most compulsive games for me, so I totally sympathize. The cool thing about Triple-A is that it has so many custom maps that use Axis & Allies rules, for ancient wars, the Napoleonic wars, WWI, parts of the Cold War, Martian wars & fantasy maps...

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I ended up replaying actual assassinations over a few times, just to try it different ways or to get the perfect or most clean kill, or especially if I found a different location that worked a lot better... And I liked how they throw in so different possibilities. Even if it's a normal kill you can get custom animations or something.

So, heres a good one for you. Unbelievably I've never seen this mentioned in any walkthrus, gamefaq threads, youtube videos, anything, but it seems like the official solution.

This is for removing Campbell non-lethally, and sparing Geoff Curnow. Dump both wine glasses. When they both start to leave and they're all chatty, don't freak out and start choking and shooting people. just use the vents up top and follow them to their destination. When they get to campbell's secret basement room, let them do their thing. If you took the sokolov painting, campbell reacts naturally and says "ohhh, maybe i put it in this corner, would you go look for it", and then when curnow turns his back, campbell takes out his sword to kill him (he would succeed), except, once his sword is drawn, you waste him, lethally OR non-lethally. Curnow turns around suddenly, realizes what's happened and turns into an ally, does not set off any alarm, does not find any bodies for game score. He walks up to you, thanks you, and runs his ass out of the mission with Campbell's back-up squad from the wine-drinking thing hot on his heels trying to finish the job(he doesn't die).

So, heres a good one for you. Unbelievably I've never seen this mentioned in any walkthrus, gamefaq threads, youtube videos, anything, but it seems like the official solution.

I watched a video series of somebody ghosting every mission, and they followed the method you mentioned in the spoiler. (Can't find it now. But he did a good job showing how to ghost each one.)

I even forgot in that mission that

poison was involved, since I took off a day from starting the mission to finishing it. Actually when I got to the dining room I didn't know what was going on until Campbell started dangling his key with the door and I first went behind the folded barrier, then at the last second I decided to climb up and realized you can crouch on top of the door... I was going to take him out with a crossbow, but I ended up shooting Curnow instead (thinking he was Campbell) & ran out only to find out I muffed up the whole thing. Fortunately I keep a save just before every assassination.

Funny how it all seems so obvious now, but the first time around I had no idea how things would play out & just improvised. I like that this game is good for improvising.

I wouldn’t call DISHONORED overrated. Sure, it may not quite surpass THIEF or DEUS EX, but it’s still on the right track. At least it’s one of the few FPS RPGs which actually tries to be attain the level of the THIEF/DX games. The morality system may be too binary to be like DX, but the game itself is still an impressive achievement. My friend and I believed that DISHONORED was what DX3 should have been (without the binary system), and I think this game will brink modern gamers back to the genre of games we’ve been crazy for.

As for the post which claimed the graphics are as bad as Clive Barker’s UNDYING: that observation perplexes me. The graphics here are nothing like UNDYING (unless you were fussing about the blood stain textures, which did feel kind of old), and besides, UNDYING’s graphics were not bad. Just because a game had polygonal 3D models doesn’t make it bad. THIEF and SYSTEM SHOCK 2 were very polygonal, yet I still like their graphics because of their unique quality. UNDYING actually the most advanced game based off of the UNREAL TOURNAMENT 1 engine (DNF was close, but as you know, it was never released on time). Any case, I love that game.

Even though DISHONORED is very THIEF inspired, at least it’s not quite the same as THIEF in terms of steampunk setting. Whatever expectations DISHONORED did not meet will probably be met in THIEF 4. I think that DISHONORED’s success may push Eidos to go even further for T4.

I’m curious, though, how a team like THE DARK MOD’s could improve on DISHONORED’s gameplay.

Spoiler: In the Flooded District, an assassin is trained in a manner similar to Garret’s training by the Keeper’s. Nice subtle homage to THIEF, eh?

DX 3 was excellent. I vastly prefer it over Dishonored, one reason being that DX 3 was not so damn easy compared to Dishonored. It's DX 2 that was utter crap. Are you maybe confusing something? ;)

excellent ? haha.Game with a third person cover,forsed gunfights with the bosses,"choose the button" ending,not mentioning absence of dynamic lights and mirrors that were in DX1

btw not sure if DX2 is utter crap as you say

Dishonored is better than DX3

Proceed with caution!

I'll admit, the "choose the button" ending was very disappointing, but the gameflow itself was very entertaining in my oppinion. In the end, that's just a question of taste I guess. DX 3 got me way more hooked than Dishonored did, though. But currently, Mask of the Ninja got me hooked way more than both of these games! ^^

No, actually I'm just a friend of mine's opinion. I know that DX3 suceeds in achieving the level of multiple paths as DX1, and I still haven't experienced it yet. It's just that DISHONORED required no third person perspective as DX3 does, and feels rather close to DX1's gameplay (with more weapon combos and athletic moves than the first). I've played only a little bit of DX2, and it did need to improve its stealth gameplay, that's for sure.

However, the game which I feel really surpasses DX1 is THE NAMELESS MOD (TNM). That's a game DISHONORED could have used pointers from (as well as from THE DARK MOD).

You know what would made dishonored more interesting, in my opinion? instead of arrows pointing to the current objectives, a detailed map. I feel these arrows pointing to the next objective push the player away from the environment. At least it doesn't have a minimap in the corner like lots of games have now and we end up playing staring at that tiny map and ignoring the expensive last generation graphics in front of us.