The Dark Mod Forums

How Does One Go About Signing Up For The Wiki?

Renzatic

I guess the title explains it all. I'm rewriting my big Photoshop tutorial to be more Darkmod specific, and wanted to post it to the Wiki for future reference. The only problem is that I'm not given any option to register, only to log in. This leads me to believe that permission to edit the wiki is by invite only, and I have to harass one of you here before I'm given access.

So. Here I am. Harassing you all. Let me edit the wiki!

While we're talking about the wiki again, I'll stump my pet project again.

Please, anybody, if you know a mapping tip or tutorial or anything like that, get wiki access and add it to the Editing FAQ:

http://wiki.thedarkm...g_%26_How-To%29

Either add the answer directly if it's a few sentences or less, or make a post and just put the link in the answer if it's long.

I want it to be a kind of first-stop place to go to get answers or find where to go to get the answer.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Thanks to Greebo, I now have full access to the Wiki!

...and upon accessing it, I've quickly come to realize that adding anything new to it is a bit more complicated than simply editing a forum post. It seems I have to know at least a basic amount of HTML to get anything done. So now I've got a few questions. I'll list them below in an easy to follow bullet list.

-How would I go about adding a new subcategory to the Texture Tutorials page?

-Is there local storage for images? I have my current set hosted on my Dropbox account, which'll probably last me a good long while. But if at some point I happen to lose said account...

-Is there a way I can conveniently resize my images to fit snugly within the page, a way I can avoid having to go through an make smaller thumbnails of all my fullscreen shots? Can I use Javascript to float the fullsized (or nearly fullsized images) on top of the page? For example, something like this? It'd make navigating the tutorials that much easier.

I'm sure these questions aren't as easy as I believe they are, but if you're able to give me some good advice, I'll be greatly appreciative.

Short answer: Check out the wiki-tutorial! :)

Specific answers:

It's not really html, but common wiki-code. In addition to the tutorial I posted above, you can also check out the wiki-code tutorial pages at wikipedia.

- You can specify new headlines and such with "== headline ==". The amount of equal-signs before and after the headlinetext specifies the headline hierarchy.

- Yup: Toolbox -> upload file. Better upload the images there.

- Yeah, the wiki does that automatically depending on the way you include the images in the article.

I have just gone through the wiki tutorial and updated it, fixing a few mistakes, adding missing templates and formatting etc. If there are still questions, please post here and I will gladly answer them.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Sounds great! I intend on putting up some of the stuff I found out during the course of making a mission, a lot of good info is getting "lost" in the middle of countless pages and comments inside the forums, some of it should really be up there for everyone to find quickly (and sometimes at all).

- Yeah, the wiki does that automatically depending on the way you include the images in the article.

Alright. I'm a goodly way through the first tutorial (probably going to split the whole thing into 4 or 5 separate chunks), and I've got my pictures in, all resized and snug. The only problem is when you click the image to enlarge, it takes you to the wiki file page. I want it to expand inside it's own window. How do I go about setting that up?

Alright. I'm a goodly way through the first tutorial (probably going to split the whole thing into 4 or 5 separate chunks), and I've got my pictures in, all resized and snug. The only problem is when you click the image to enlarge, it takes you to the wiki file page. I want it to expand inside it's own window. How do I go about setting that up?

I don't think that's supported. You might be able to link directly to the wiki image file, but that is finicky, as it can break.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Just read through it (will actually do the exercise later), and I found it to be of brilliant quality, friendly explanations, funny comments, thorough step by step and abundance of images (an interesting example too). Loved it, already looking foward to the next one!

Edited by RPGista

Eh. I think I can live without it. It's a little hard to see the marquee selections, but everything else looks decent enough.

Here's the link to Part 1

Check and see if it's pretty easy to follow along with as is.

I can't follow it (no PS :) but here are few remarks:

The headline is a bit long (it wraps and is nearly 2 lines on my fontsize), and also the first "wall of text" is a bit intimidating. Maybe you can shorten these without losing information and witty remarks? :) (that would also help non-english speakers to understand it - often shorter is a better - but not too short :)

Also, I like how you laid it out with the keys etc. Looks very nice! :wub:

One thing that you could use is the templates for left mouse button {{LBM}} and right mouse button {{RMB}} - I feel they break up long texts and add a dash of color and make things easier to "skim".

Btw, about the images: when the wiki page for an image opens up,usually the user can click the image again to ge the "fullsize" version.

Forgot: The link to cgtextures is broken, and IIRC correctly, the free account is 15 mbytes.

Edit: Also, it might be worth to crop the screenshots. This one f.i. http://wiki.thedarkm.../Tile_Tex_5.jpg contains a lot of dead space around, which means in the preview you can't see any details, and if you hit the full version, you still see a lot of wasted space.

Also, don't use <b>, use three consecutive single quotes like '''So''' :)

(Don't take this to personal, I know how much time one can sink into making such tutorials, so this is very welcome :)

The headline is a bit long (it wraps and is nearly 2 lines on my fontsize)

Heh. I actually fretted about that for a bit. I wanted to go with something short and sweet, like "Alpha masks In Photoshop", but didn't think that was descriptive enough, because it's not just about alpha masks. It's about using alpha masks to tile a texture in Photoshop. Then I figured it's part of a series, so I need to throw that in there as well. Then I thought about how I could describe that in 5 words or less, realized I couldn't, and just said screw it. Then I went for broke.

You gotta admit, "Texturing In Photoshop 1: creating a tileable texture using alpha mask sublayers" does tell you exactly what you're getting into. :P

But yeah. It could use a better name. I'll shorten it to Tiling Textures With Alpha Mask Sublayers...once I figure out how to do it.

and also the first "wall of text" is a bit intimidating. Maybe you can shorten these without losing information and witty remarks? :) (that would also help non-english speakers to understand it - often shorter is a better - but not too short :)

Problem is, that part needs to be a little wordy. I'll see if I can break it up a bit with a few screenshots to illustrate what I'm talking about.

One thing that you could use is the templates for left mouse button {{LBM}} and right mouse button {{RMB}} - I feel they break up long texts and add a dash of color and make things easier to "skim".

Agreed. I'll see where I can add them in at.

Btw, about the images: when the wiki page for an image opens up,usually the user can click the image again to ge the "fullsize" version.

Yeah, but you've got that extra interrupt between the thumbnail and the fullsized screenshot. I'm not too terribly worried about it, since RPGIsta says it's pretty easy to follow.

Forgot: The link to cgtextures is broken, and IIRC correctly, the free account is 15 mbytes.

Fixed and fixed.

Also, it might be worth to crop the screenshots. This one f.i. http://wiki.thedarkm.../Tile_Tex_5.jpg contains a lot of dead space around, which means in the preview you can't see any details, and if you hit the full version, you still see a lot of wasted space.

Will do. :D

(Don't take this to personal, I know how much time one can sink into making such tutorials, so this is very welcome :)

Ow. My feelings. :P

Nah. Don't worry about it. I want to make sure everything is as smooth and easy to get into as possible. If you've got a suggestion, then suggest away. ;)

One thing. I've cleaned up a couple of the shots, and tried uploading the replacement by using the "upload a new version of this file" link. Well, the wiki is showing the upload, but it's still displaying the old version on both the shot's page and the tutorial. Is there a way I can delete the old files and start from scratch? Right now, I've got a page showing 4 shots, each revert, revert, revert, current. I'm slopping up the wiki!

edit: eh. nevermind. It made the change on it's own time.

Photoshop: The Toolbar Explained is DONE (barring a few typos and whatnot that escaped me). A bit of extra fancy graphics work ended up taking me 2 extra hours to do. The good news is that two extra hours worth of work makes it a little easier to follow now.

Texturing In Photoshop 1: Creating A Tileable Texture Using Alpha Mask Sublayers is also DONE. Besides the namechange, which I'm still not sure how to do. I even added in the {{LMB}} templates for taste. Dunno if it makes it easier to follow, but it does look cooler.

Tell me what you think. The next parts will be coming up tomorrow.

One thing. I've cleaned up a couple of the shots, and tried uploading the replacement by using the "upload a new version of this file" link. Well, the wiki is showing the upload, but it's still displaying the old version on both the shot's page and the tutorial. Is there a way I can delete the old files and start from scratch? Right now, I've got a page showing 4 shots, each revert, revert, revert, current. I'm slopping up the wiki!

edit: eh. nevermind. It made the change on it's own time.

This is just the browser cache - when you restart your browser, or the next day or when you shif-f5 reload the page or when you clear the cache, or when Chutulhu is unhappy, the cache gets cleared and you see the new version :)

Anyway, about the headline:

Unless there are multiple tutorials covering the same topic with different techniques, there is no need to include he method/technique in the headline. Compare:

* Tutorial: Eating Oranges

* Tutorial: Eating Oranges with your Mouth

* Tutorial: Eating Oranges while not Having any Teeth

The first is just fine, even when it covers only one method - and it is actually the only way if it covers multiple methods, except you use "50 Ways to Eat an Orange" :)

The details on what to do and why can be in the article itself :)

Here is another tip: Include {{tutorial}} at the bottom, that automatically sorts the article into the Category:Tutorial http://wiki.thedarkm...tegory:Tutorial

You can also include [[Category:Photoshop]] as when you have more than one tutorial, they might be in their own category. If you do this, this page will appear:

http://wiki.thedarkm...toshop_Tutorial

You can then edit it's content to say something witty like "This category lists all photoshop tutorials" to get rid of the "this page is empty" message :)

Hope that makes sense, if you have troubles I can do it for you. Thanx!

Edit: Yeah, I lke the mouse button images for some reason ;) But it just occured to me they don't have a mouse-over title, so people might be confused. So I added one now :)

Alright. I'll add the tags and follow along with the rest once I'm a little more awake. After three odd hours spent tediously editing text, I barely even know where I'm at. :P

Oh, and I'm still not sure how to change the title of my first tutorial. The only way I can think to do it right now is to start a new page with a new title and paste everything into it, then wait for you to delete the old one.

Alright. I'll add the tags and follow along with the rest once I'm a little more awake. After three odd hours spent tediously editing text, I barely even know where I'm at. :P

No problem :) Also, just a small remark, while I am one of the "edit oh submit dang I need to fix atyposubmit no another typo"people (basically ADS with the submit button :) I'd still like you to go a little bit easier and do more edits before you submit - right now the recent changes list on the wiki overflows and one needs to view "more than 100" just to see anything else :) I think this will sort itself out a bit once you are more familiar with the wiki - but for now, please use the preview button a tad bit more ;)

Oh, and I'm still not sure how to change the title of my first tutorial. The only way I can think to do it right now is to start a new page with a new title and paste everything into it, then wait for you to delete the old one.

Oh sorry, I must have missed that. There is a "Move" button for each article at the top, which "moves" the article to a new name, and inserts a redirect into the old space. Redirects are basically an empty article with "#REDIRECT[[new name here]]" in them. Here is an example: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Editing&action=edit

If you are not seeing the move button, it might be that you don't have the proper permissions. Then please ask greebo if he can fix that. Otherwise, tell me the new name and I move it for you.

And go get some coffee, man, you deserve it! :D