The Dark Mod Forums

The End Is Nigh

Sir Taffsalot

Our adoring fans don't have to just do hardcore things like bugfixes or making textures or models either. One thing they could do is just regular fan stuff... Make some fan art of our world. Write a fan-fic or a comic. Make a fansite. Remix a TDM ambient. Make a fan map of Bridgeport with all the districts & try to place the missions in it. Fun stuff like that would IMO do a lot of good just building buzz and letting people have fun with it, and letting outsiders see that TDM is fun & worth being a diehard fan of.

You mean things like this ??

jbxpYcOCkcXEPd.jpg

• Like 2

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Why is it threads like this get over 7000 view and 9 pages of replies yet more productive ones get nothing? I mean this thread has more views then the next 10 threads. Doom and gloom threads like these should be deleted, burned, salted and nuked, they are just pits where all the hate from various people gets poured into.

BTW Toni, awesome pic! <3

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Let's get this thread back on track (as per 1 page ago). Perhaps we need, something like THIS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX9u_UbOJH8

Yes, I realise this is a tutorial video for installing Day Z, but if you watch the whole thing, it is, in my opinion, rather idiot-proof. Steps from acquiring doom3, to installing an un-zipper, to downloading the mod, to installing it. Benefit of being a video, if the user is unsure at any time, they can simply rewind the video and re watch/listen the segment they're unsure on. With this video as a template, we could even have our non-English speaking members create localised versions of it, to spread the love further.

I'm basically ripping the content of this post from the MWLL forums, where a similar push for extra publicity is gaining extra steam to advertise the upcoming 0.5.7 patch, especially in the face of the MWO actions which are soaking up a lot of attention, so the effort has to be spectacular (in their case) to generate the needed interest.

Credit to user J-Me, for the basic layout and ideas.

Promotional material:

1. YouTube installation guide (the video I linked earlier is a good template).

2. Forum signature banners - make it pretty, catch people's eyes.

3. YouTube beginner tutorial.

4. YouTube asset tutorial - this doesn't quite 1:1 apply to TDM, so maybe something like an enemy guide, detailing techniques for dealing with various foes, like an expanded version of the clip Springheel put together.

5. YouTube trailers - I know we have a bunch of Let's Play videos on YouTube, and some videos about features that were upcoming at the time, but the ones I've seen come across more like tech-demo's, as if they were footage prepared mainly for an audience already familiar with the material.

Promotion:

A few options were listed here, I think they're still applicable.

-On other forums (especially ones about stealth gaming, thievery etc) (I think this one is actually being handled quite well so far, but it's included for completion)

-In the review and preview comments on gaming websites for articles on similar games

-On Reddit

-YouTube comments

-Social networking pages (We already have a Facebook page, I think?)

Maybe another push for gaming magazines, online and printed, Rock Paper Shotgun, Kotaku, and the other printed magazines that have run TDM stuff in the past.

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

We do have a pretty good installation video walkthrough from Komag for a while now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jutSmdqBVY

Im also pretty sure there was a video play of the Tutorial map, which should interest a lot of people flirtting with the mod - maybe collecting all those videos inside a "TDM official youtube channel" would be a good way of keeping it all together and easy to find. I remember thinking at the time, yeah but how is the combat system in the mod?, a couple of random TDM sword fight videos made me sure the mod was a complete package.

The thing is that a good amount of useful info such as this is scattered around this forum (or in this case, youtube), it would be great if authors would make sure to link all this info in a section on the main page or at least inside a clear index in here (I would say wiki, but it is likely only mappers go there). But then again, I havent noticed a substancial amount of people complaining they cant start the mod (despite a few like MKG earlier), so maybe its not much of an issue right now - I do like the idea of aproaching those online magazines and blogs for more repeated exposure.

Edited by RPGista

Once again. It's not a question of whether or not we need to promote, it's 'who' is going to do the work to achieve it? The team is spread very thin. We don't have the hands to pull all of this off on our own. That isn't doom and gloom, it's reality folks. We can delete the thread, or change the title, but burying our heads in the sand won't make the reality go away.

It's another good thing for players to do as fans if they want a way to contribute to the mod. We're all in this together.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I know it probably looked like another one of those "here's a long list of stuff that "we" need to do, and by we, I mean everyone else because I provided the list". Well, that isn't the intention. If we already have a bunch of the stuff on that list, awesome! Let's get links together, and build a promotion pack that everyone can use to spread the news. I didn't know Komag had already made a how-to for installing the mod, if he's OK with it, that's that part done. I'd honestly be happy if everything on the list was already checked off, that'd make life easy for everyone. Of course, that's somewhat unlikely.

I'm perfectly willing to help out. I've been thinking for the last 10 minutes on how to do a combat tutorial based on which enemy you're fighting, that aims to expand beyond what the tutorial mission gives you. Maybe even an equipment usage video, though I'm dubious as to how useful that would be.

maybe collecting all those videos inside a "TDM official youtube channel" would be a good way of keeping it all together and easy to find

I post a lot of TDM videos on my channel, so I've considered doing this, but I don't know much about Youtube channels...how would I collect videos that were made by other people?

-YouTube comments

This is quite useful, and very easy for even the most casual fan to do. Lots of people have said they like the walkthroughs, but I've found lots of them that have few likes and almost no comments. Imagine the impression on some random person clicking on a TDM video and seeing dozens of comments about, "TDM is awesome", compared to one that has nothing there at all. Not only does it make a good impression on casual visitors, but it encourages the person who posted it to make more.

There are plugins for browsers that allow you to download files off YouTube, KeepTube (for Firefox at least) being the last one I used. Alternatively, they could host them somewhere for you to download them from. That's if you want all the videos on the same channel. I think there are other ways, but to me that seems the easiest. Obviously you'd want to ask the uploader if they're ok with it.

Edited by Xarg

As for the youtube thing, Im not the right guy to ask as Ive never even uploaded a video there - still, I've seen countless playlists people make with random videos of a certain topic (lets say a band) gathered in one place. Im not sure if it would be the same for including them in your channel, but if not a channel, then a TDM Official playlist would have the same effect, I guess. Again, I dont think this is worth much trouble, but if simple enough, could be a nice way to avoid people overlooking important stuff (like many DR tutorials, the mod demos, the mission playthroughs, etc.).

@ Xarg - I dont even think permission would be necessary, they are all online, its just a matter of indexing the videos inside a single list.

Playlists, that's what I was thinking of! Good catch RPGista.

Yeah, I guess it's those moments when my adoration comes to the surface and the great commitment to the project breaks out. I made them some time ago when I had more free time. I am really sorry for posting them here in the wrong forum though. I won't let it happen again. Maybe I will post some of my other things lingerin' around on my hard drive in the right thread if you like them that much. Didn't imagine that. If you want, we can make a wallpaper for promotion (as I followed the discussion). don't know--

Thank you for your plaudit boys !

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

??? grayman, did I say somethin' wrong?

cj-bax.gif

haha demagogue - see what I did here ?? xD

Edited by SeriousToni

personally I'm always astonished when I see people on ttlg forum saying they prefer thief2 over thief 1 (or the contrary) and they don't know about the dark mod as they never tryed... I dunno how to encourage them to try more, but there you've a lot of potential players/mappers...