The Dark Mod Forums

FM Preview: Shadow of Opportunity

demagogue

One thing that stands out in the screen above is that you can see out the window. I know we had this discussion about TDM before, but it reminds me of the excellent visual work Fidcal did for Chalice of Kings. If you can't render the whole game world outside a window, you can have just a skybox there like Fidcal did. It looks much better than just a window that cannot be seen through at all.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

You know after watching the playthrough for Fuschard street Im tempted to knock up a small quick and dirty mission with the title of this thread, what do you lot think..?

In a later post, Demagogue explained that this really is a WIP. He might like some help with his project though :)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

You know after watching the playthrough for Fuschard street Im tempted to knock up a small quick and dirty mission...

I wouldn't, if I were you. To go with speed building you need to use prefabs which are used already too many times, then you'll end up with a city mission that will be another ordinary darkmod fm.

You know after watching the playthrough for Fuschard street Im tempted to knock up a small quick and dirty mission with the title of this thread, what do you lot think..?

BUT THIS IS MY MISSION! Please do not take the title of the FM I am currently working on.

Edit: Sorry I should have read down more. Thanks NBohr. Yeah this is my WIP mission (See I even changed the name of the thread to "FM Preview"). Even the description I gave is pretty much just what it is. Haha, no worries though Biker, I know you meant well. I like to build mostly by myself, but if I need some help I always know you're there. :)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I also like the description a lot, its complex, has texture and is creatively based on knowledge of history (which makes it 10x more interesting in my eyes), after the competition is done, if you feel the need, count me in for contributions, maybe with space sketching/conceptualisation or even models (will invest more on it in the near future). Looking foward to hear your progress.

then you'll end up with a city mission that will be another ordinary darkmod fm.

What's wrong with that? :P

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle  *  A Reputation to Uphold  *  A New Job  *  A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules  *  Speedbuild Challenge  *  New Mappers Workshop  *  Building Traps

We need a bunch of ordinary TDM FMs. Oodles and oodles of them, so people play them and discuss them and stay around and make their own. That's how it works.

• Like 2

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Also worth noting that Fiasco was in some people's top 5 missions list.

TDM Missions:   A Score to Settle  *  A Reputation to Uphold  *  A New Job  *  A Matter of Hours

Video Series:   Springheel's Modules  *  Speedbuild Challenge  *  New Mappers Workshop  *  Building Traps

Okay, this thread officially got ten times better. :D

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Haha, I was actually thinking about pasting in some TDM objects in my original screenshot, but then just went with the original. But actually remaking the room in TDM... nice work!

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

By the release of 1.08 which, as always, will be done when it's done.

You can at least track its progress a little from the bug tracker Roadmap (link at the top of this forum)

:excl: Xcen!

That is some great work.

That shot has simply whet my appetite for any WIP progress on one of your missions Xcen.

I am now a puddle o' noodles. :wub:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I've been looking at the original artist's (gurgur from Izmir) other work, then that took me to the CGSociety site, which I used to surf all the time. It just struck me this time, though, here's a massive community of modelers, a few of which may want to contribute their models (and work on them to make them game-friendly) to an open-source project like ours. We should be hitting up their forums and similar forums with threads calling for contributions. To adapt the old bank robber's quip, if you want cool models, you go to where the modelers are. Models and textures I think would have the biggest bang-for-buck adding to the game, contribution-wise (I mean as low-hanging fruit to make calls for), but especially (non-AI) models.

I think this thread should be renamed "TDM can do it too" similar to the d3world thread :laugh:

Also, maybe Xcen's comparison shots should be posted over to the forum demagogue mentioned. If they see we have an interest in them, maybe they'll take an interest in us?

here's a massive community of modelers, a few of which may want to contribute their models (and work on them to make them game-friendly) to an open-source project like ours

That is a must, for sure. There are many communities that are about sharing works like that, aproaching modelers and having them donating models for TDM is definetly a win win situation here, as they would also get to see their work being used on a large scale...

Ok, I posted a thread at CGSociety calling for donations. (In this forum: http://forums.cgsoci...display.php?f=2). It told me because I was a newbie, the thread has to approved before it gets posted, usually within 24 hours. I'll post a link to it when it's up (...if it gets up. I hope they don't consider it spam.) It could be a good template for other modeling sites, if anyone knows any. No sense in just talking about it. If we're going to have a donation drive, let's drive.

I personally think the best argument for it is that, people spend 10s to 100s of hours working on models. This is a way for those models not to just sit on a shelf and gather dust, after all that work, but actually get used in a game that 1000s of people will play for years to come and admire that object all the time.

Edit: Here's the template (hmm, I lost the links & screenshots in the copy/paste.)

Hello, I'm a member of the team that made the Doom3 total conversion "The Dark Mod", which just won moddb's 2011 Mod of the Year Editor's Choice Award for Best Community. It's a mission-based medieval stealth game in the vein of Thief. It's a finished game, and more than 50 maps have already been made by community mappers, with many more on the way for years to come.

We are currently having a model donation drive where we're going to modeling sites asking if anyone would like to donate any of their models to the game. Naturally medieval objects would be the most useful. Given the popularity and respect of the mod, it would be an excellent way for a modeller to get recognized for their work and get some exposure. But more than anything, this is a way for good models not to sit on a shelf and gather dust, but actually get used and admired in a working game that thousands of people will play.

If you have some good models you'd like to donate, please register with this forum, and post a new thread here with some screenshots of your models: http://forums.thedar...i-want-to-help/

Models can be converted into the Doom3 format from most any other format: Maya, 3DStudio Max, Blender, Lightwave, ZBrush, etc.

Below are some screenshots of the game so you have an idea of our aesthetic style.

Cheers.

(Screenshots go here.)