The Dark Mod Forums

WIP: FM - The Elixir

Bikerdude

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Owner of that place loves his bling. :D

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Wow.. where'd that chandelier come from? I don't recall seeing that in DR anywhere... custom model?

Yup, I got the inspiration from a model that Dram did and just tweaked mine to be more luminous.

looks great but hard to say medieval.

Firstly TDM isn't strictly medieval, its steam-punk. And these are just snapshots of parts of the map.

Owner of that place loves his bling.

The gentleman who owns this modest manor house is a merchant who trades in exotic spices and other rare items, the money from which enabled him to buy he way into nobility.

Just wanted to drop this in here from the moddb page NBohr updated recently

The Dark Mod world can be viewed as an alternate version of our own. It is a mixture of several historical periods, with architecture ranging from medieval castles to Victorian mansions. In this world, steam and clockwork technology were discovered much earlier in history, allowing for odd inventions and industrial warehouses to exist side-by-side with Gothic cathedrals and sword-wielding city watch.

Emphasis on the architecture and technology pieces, it's possible that Biker's mansion in question is a relatively new building, taking advantage of new inventions and fabrication processes to produce a higher quality of product. That said, I have an itch to make a nice old area with some decent influence from Amnesia... perhaps in part 2...

Edited by Xarg

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Just wanted to drop this in here from the moddb page NBohr updated recently

The Dark Mod world can be viewed as an alternate version of our own. It is a mixture of several historical periods, with architecture ranging from medieval castles to Victorian mansions.

It's from darkmod wiki(universe). Victorian era definitely includes crystal chandeliers. :)

Edited by SiyahParsomen

Yeah that's what I was getting at, I didn't see the relevance of the "not medieval" comment when Biker seems to be aiming for a newer time period than that. Would love to see a new Victorian mansion heist, maybe a sequel to Sons of Baltona.. can dream, can't I? The only problem is every time one of you lads posts something fantastic like this, I cross off one more thing I could make that'd wow people...

Edited by Xarg

That's a bad way to look at it. When I started editing, did I have a hope of doing something as good as people like Saturnine and Purah? Not a chance. Nevertheless, people liked my first mission well enough. So don't undersell yourself!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

@Xarg:

True, it is difficult to make to-notch visuals in your first DR project due to much of stuff you have to learn. It is possible, but difficult and demands a lot of effort. Subsequent works are always easier as you have learned new techniques etc.

But remember: the game is about somehing else too than just visuals.

You still can wow people with a clever plot, impressive atmosphere, neat puzzles or godly gameplay. And these you can do nicely just with some pre-planning and plotting.

I almost always prefer a mission with a good gameplay over a mission with good visuals.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

That's a bad way to look at it. When I started editing, did I have a hope of doing something as good as people like Saturnine and Purah? Not a chance. Nevertheless, people liked my first mission well enough. So don't undersell yourself!

I think it depends how you look at it. I imagine that at some point, real life will intervene in a way that makes regular participation here rather difficult, and by that point I'd like to have left my mark, even if it's just a really fancy looking ornamental boot people use as props next to the bed of an AI they've set to sleep :). Obviously, such a thing will be left until I have far more experience under my belt, I highly doubt any of my first works are going to be my Magnum Opus, but it can't hurt to have that goal off on the horizon, edging ever closer with each technique learned.

• 2 weeks later...