The Dark Mod Forums

WIP: FM - The Elixir

Bikerdude

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have created the 3 floors of the manor, but spent most of last night re-gigging the town section to keep the draw call count close to 1500. Atm there are few locations where it hits 2000 which needs to be fixed.

Bit off-topic, but what are "ideal" numbers for drawcalls? You seem to be of the opinion 2000 is too many, and 1500 is fine.. is there a threshold where the fps just starts nose-diving with too many drawcalls?

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Bit off-topic, but what are "ideal" numbers for drawcalls? You seem to be of the opinion 2000 is too many, and 1500 is fine.. is there a threshold where the fps just starts nose-diving with too many drawcalls?

Depends entirely on the GFX card in a given players PC, for example I have a Core i5 and GTX480 and it can take a draw call count as high as 3000 with 4xAA and 8AS @1680*1050 without any drop in FPS. But a player with Doom3 minimum spec GPU and CPU can only deal with 1500 with no AA/AS. At some point we will have to again raise the min recommended spec for TDM me thinks.

Yup, I usually stop adding details once draws hit 1000-1500. As that will result in a clearly observable fps drop on my equipment.

But one should not look at tris or draws alone, but more like the overall performance.

For instance, in a large outdoor areas, it is good to check how much of the tris seen are shadow tris. This means you could easily boost performance by setting lights to noshadows. You can do that if the light is in a place where it does not spill to some interior areas.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Noshadows lights can really bug me. There are situations where they are necessary for performance, but the way they are often used is simply painful and sloppy. Same with noclipmodeled func_statics or the careless use of invisible walls.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

One thing I've witnessed recently (and I believe Orbweaver recently discussed this) is that the default

radius of many light entities will often extend into other rooms. If you tinker to the radius of a wall mounted

lantern and move the volume out into the room, the flame particle follows the origin of the volume rather

than following the "light center" (you'd have to customize the particle attach location)

So there's a lot of wasted shadow processing and evaluating overlapping volumes.

You can clearly tell by setting all lights to noshadows or view r_showlights 2.

A couple of ideas to workaround:

1) (Obviously) Make some light entities prefabs specifically for walls where the volumes extend out into the room in one direction.

2) Use trigger brushed and switch light entities off and on when traversing doorways

3) Create a class of lights that turn off when their origin or light center is past the portal closure

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Something to be aware of though when moving light volumes that aren't close to the origin of where the light is being emitted, its can look wrong and odd if that distance is too far.

On the triggering front, Dram did some wicked trickery in Blackheart manor, that dynamically culled lights from the map allowing greater complexity without the fps hit, I never did ask him how he did it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

So how's it going here? :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

@Melan

The small city section is 100%, just needs the patrol routes added/ tweaked, The manor is 70%, the lower and upper floors of the manor are 100% leaving the empty the guest rooms, kitchen, servant quarters and a yet to be constructed ball room of some sort. The guard tower is about 90%, it needs a little tweaking as the Ai wont go up the stairs.

Would you like to take a look and give me some ideas..?

No, I am doing enough editing right now. :) I'd like to play new missions!

• 7 months later...

Hey there!

This is the second one - the summer bike. Clean as a whistle, turbine like engine, handles well and dosent look that bad either.

post-496-0-93304500-1333927526_thumb.jpg

My , and to think back in the late fifties I was getting soaking wet on my Lambretta , seems an awful long time ago!

Hey there!

I havent forgotten about this, It will get done at some point.

and to think back in the late fifties I was getting soaking wet on my Lambretta , seems an awful long time ago!

Heh, this one dosent get ridden in the rain - I have another one for that.

• 7 months later...

As we have a distinct lack of missions for a while I thought I would have a go a Melan style speed build. The plan is to have something ready for easter weekend, so it gives you lot something to play before the end of the beginners contest the following weekend.

This is the second one - the summer bike. Clean as a whistle, turbine like engine, handles well and dosent look that bad either.

post-496-0-93304500-1333927526_thumb.jpg

I am still being amused by this, sorry biker! I know you have many things on your radar and you're very dedicated but nevertheless it's kind of funny to watch this process of speed build over the years ^_^

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

• 3 years later...

Isn't it up on the betamapper SVN? I have a local copy dated 21 December 2014 if you need it.