The Dark Mod Forums

Parallax revisted

jdude

That sounds insanely good! Does this mean that I WILL be able to play confortably, my own mission for example, without fps drops (oh, the irony)? Huge improvements in performance is exactly whats is needed for a good chunk of the players, and it's very nice to hear this is being worked on...

I hope the gains are noticeable enough to allow at least some of the players who were unable to play TDM to do so now. I don't think anyone on the team has received any test files to try out these optimizations though, so I can't say how my own system will respond at this point. Fingers crossed.

I would be happy if TDM 1.08 had the same performance given the loss of performance in the vanilla GPL release. :)

May I (humbly) ask whether Cubemap light support will be added in the next release? :smile: :smile: :smile:

Thanks.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I would be happy if TDM 1.08 had the same performance given the loss of performance in the vanilla GPL release. :)

Thing is though, nobody outside the team experienced the loss in performance with the GPL release. In any case, the loss from the GPL was recovered when Serpentine integrated a Carmack's Reverse inspired fix. What is being done now will hopefully help TDM exceed previous performance. It would be nice to give the public a few more fps here and there. Hopefully enough of a boost to enable some players to finally play with less of a performance hit.

Deadite commented on losses over at doom3world. Most folks with the gpl release arent reporting losses because they are playing vanilla doom 3 and already well over the 60fps cap.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

The problem with hard numbers is that there's two situations that you can try to look for and fix.

The normal but intensive scenes - i.e the map is well constructed but during some sections there is a lot of geometry which drops the fps. In this case it's a matter of digging around and making things as efficient as possible, cutting out render work where it's not needed and such. This is nice to fix.

Then there is the bad case - i.e the map itself has not been well laid out, there are far too many portals open at once, hub areas leaking everywhere and generally poor performance. This while it is helped by the previous case, is nearly impossible to really get large noticeable gains in.

The latter case involves looking at the big picture, while the former allows you to profile and methodically move through areas.

Expect the former case to be quite a bit faster.

As for cubemap lights - Any 'new' stuff for the render is effectively deferred to beyond 1.08 - since there are many possible knock-ons, as well as no content that uses them. But expect it when the glsl stuff comes through.

Less pie in the sky - more general health.