The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Sneak & Destroy, by SeriousToni, Beginner's Contest 2012 - Update 11/2022

SeriousToni

Sneak & Destroy - Do you like it? :)  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

It will self evident, just do a bit more exploring :-)

Is there a hint regarding who it is? Am I missing something?

I have been to his room, and I think that I have been everywhere: Inn, Taven & the Streets. Everyone who wasn't sleeping is sleeping now :-)

So what to do now? Quicksave & start to shoot armed AI's who might be assasins?

Thank you very much - I really hope you all like my first attempt :blush:

@ Chiron:

The one who sleeps there is the person you're lookin for. You'll need something to do to make the person go sleeping. Trial and error is not necessary (or even possible) in this mission. ;)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Thank you very much - I really hope you all like my first attempt :blush:

@ Chiron:

The one who sleeps there is the person you're lookin for. You'll need something to do to make the person go sleeping. Trial and error is not necessary (or even possible) in this mission. ;)

Thanks!

Well, there was my problem:

I already sent the guests upstairs, but KO'ed most of them before they could get to their rooms.

So the person in question was lying KO on the stairs. I never made that connection.

Edited by Chiron

Great job Toni! So many custom assets. I feel very different atmosphere on this mission.

I had a funny moment in headquarters room. After I turned on lights, AI woke up and got suspected. Does this really happen or just my luck?

Thanks!

Well, there was my problem:

I already sent the guests upstairs, but KO'ed most of them before they could get to their rooms.

So the person in question was lying KO on the stairs. I never made that connection.

Same here. I KOed them while they were on stairs. Later, I realized something is wrong. Luckly they were only two AI and I just need quick load to find the correct one.

I finished the mission on easy. I'll go expert on weekend. After that, I'll rate your mission. :)

@ SiyahParsomen:

Yes it is supposed to be that the owner wakes up when the light is switched on. Then he's like "What the heck? Who's there?"

@ Chiron:

I don't know why you did knock out the people, when you're supposed to find out who is the owner of the room? ^_^ You made it yourself just harder :P

@ caedes:

You can find the key in the same room. It's not even hidden well ;)

Thank you for the appreciation you guys! :wub:

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Are you sure this is your first FM? Because it doesn't look that way! :D There was a lot of good environmental detail in this one, but what I liked was the way the gameplay and the story were executed well - all little details fit. I had some trouble with the loot objective on Medium, but maybe I was overlooking something major. Something that may have eluded me was

the role of the other inn - it is a place to loot and explore, but it doesn't seem to have much of a significance. Nice how it has a different architectural style, though. :)

All in all, first rate for a first effort!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Wohoo 170 downloads so far! The screenies were looked at nearly a thousand times now. What a blast I must say! I'd never counted on so much attention. But great to hear that everyone seems to have lots of fun with it! :) I am so happy! Thank you all so very much :) :) :)

@Melan

I fooled around with the AZ Beginners Tutorial some years before but didn't even finish it. After restarting this time I had to learn all again from the start on. I never thought that I would master all this new stuff, but I made it to my very first FM. Glad you like it :D

I thought it would make it more exciting if you had even two houses to pick from? :o

Congrats on the release, I will gladly try this one after my exams. It sounds like a very promising FM, however, I dislike the title, can someone who played it, come up with something more catchy? Or maybe its a perfect title and I'm just old and not cool enough to feel it?

Hey there pusianka, the title involves both: the common phrase "Seek & Destroy" and the mission background / story.

Just try it out if you find some time. I might guess after the reactions here, you might totaly dislike the mission ;)

EDIT: Haha jysk - that was an insider :laugh:

Edited by SeriousToni

That is great news, nbohr1more!

Please remember, whoever does the the main page mission entry, if it might be possible to add one or two screenies more (?) :blush:

Are you sure this is your first FM? Because it doesn't look that way! :D There was a lot of good environmental detail in this one. All in all, first rate for a first effort!

I said the same thing when I opened the map to help fix the VPs, but what I think is very impressive is the custom textures he has all over the place!

Oh noes - there you got me now. Hail to the Dark Messiah Of Mod & Mapping :laugh:

Haha - you guys truely rock ^_^

EDIT: 200 downloads on minus.com now *happy dancing*

Edited by SeriousToni

Really impressing and inspiring mission! I will wait until after every contender has released they work before rating though.

You don't have to include your own save games into the pk4-file btw ;)

I need help on how to get through the locked door on the second floor, next to the cleaning closet.

Good things

- Nice outside areas that makes sense (It's really hard to snip of the city sections and avoid getting carried away and just make the city larger and larger. You made it nice and logical)

- Elaborate and meaty story/briefing! Great custom assets! Models, sounds, ambients. Really add to the uniqueness of the mission! (Often one just fells like: "Meeh, I've seen that chandalier/chair/window/table a thousand times now...")

- Nice architecture! Even different in the both houses. Really lovely in the smaller inn, with that depth and smooth lines.

Less good things

Not much that was bad actually besides from absence of lockpicks and lantern...but I've only tried on Expert, maybe they're included on easier difficulties? (Perhaps I shouldn't complain about not giving valuable equipment... :blush:)

Edited by Fieldmedic

Just played through on easy level - and for the first time ever in a TDM FM I've got 100% of the loot!! Woo-hoo!!! So thanks for that, ST - likes/dislikes/etc as follows: -

1) The sound ambiance - just having the wind on the outer sections gave it a great atmosphere, and the music generally worked very well. I thought the cellar level music was the best; for the upper levels I was more aware of the music repeating (although it never got annoying) but the cellar level music combined music and ambiance really well, if that makes sense.

2)

KOing the first guy in the cellar and dragging him up the slope to the trapdoor entrance. Only to have him slide all the way back down again. (Not sure why I liked it, but I did.)

3)

Wasn't too keen on not having any lockpicks at first, but you placed the keys really well. As long I kept my eyes peeled, no tedious key hunting!

4) Had to check the forum to put the last piece of the puzzle into place, and my first thought was

I've got to get the guests to go to bed?? That's stupid! How do I do that??!!

- at which point ***CLANG*** the penny dropped, some of the readables suddenly made sense, and really, given the set up, I realised the solution is actually quite satisfyingly logical. I was just fixated on looking for

a note saying "I have to kill Thief. My wooden leg is acting up and maybe I should stop wearing a luminous green top hat. Kill. Kill Thief. Grrrr." etc :)

5) Having that little 'debrief' scene at mission end. (Just to go OT for a moment; I'm with Pusianka in finding the 'Mission complete' music a bit jarring/cheesy, and at some point I'll have a go at coming up with something I like)(and that everyone else will find jarring/cheesy :smile: )

6) Good AI mapping - having them be able to turn lights on gave me a scare but meant I had to keep on my toes!

7) Some seriously awesome textures - these were one of my faves:

post-9265-0-55986400-1334331914_thumb.jpg

so yummy I could eat them (if they're standard TDM fittings, then kudos for making them look so good; I've never noticed them before). (EDIT: Just gone into jysk's FM and suddenly seen them there too, so I've probably seen 'em loads of times without noticing them :blush: )

Loved this scene too:

post-9265-0-55765600-1334332080_thumb.jpg

(I would put more up but I've reached my upload limit :(.)

Dislikes

1) I actually wasn't keen on the key objective: it's purely personal preference but

I'm not a fan of forced-kill objectives (I'd rather have the choice :P ),and personally I'd want a bit more reason to kill someone than the word of a total stranger and a poster on a wall with an arrow stuck in it, but hey - it's a game and I'll try not to take it that seriously :smile:

2) Didn't seem to be much opportunity to climb around, but I'd guess that'll be a more advanced build (I notice both your and jysk's FMs avoid

offering rope arrows

:).) I did get up on a couple of roofs/ledges, but I got the feeling I wasn't meant to be there...

post-9265-0-97007900-1334331942_thumb.jpg

post-9265-0-65645800-1334331960_thumb.jpg

Possible bug?

I came across what seemed to be a bug with this guy

post-9265-0-19124400-1334332008_thumb.jpg

I tried to KO him from behind while he was sitting down, and he got stuck sitting down in a really weird way - he just sat there staring at me and, erm, well, it looked like he was stroking his thighs in an unnervingly pervey kind of way. He didn't try to chase me to anything (I tried knocking him out anyway, and discovered that when someone goes down with repeated whacks of the blackjack, it doesn't just knock them out, it kills them.) Never sure whether it's just my system - I've got a saved game with the guy doing his staring bit if anyone wants to have a look at it.

All-in-all, ST, amazing work for a first build - really looking forward to what you'll come up with next!

Edited by simplen00b

Hello there - thank you for your answers. It made me really happy. :) And here's your help:

@Fieldmedic

You need the Owner's key, which you can get from a person in this tavern (it's not lying down somewhere)

@Simplen00b

No you weren't supposed to be there and I can't understand how the hell you've made it there, but anyway, sorry for not seeing that coming :laugh:

And with the sitting guy: There's often some problems with sitting or sleeping AI's in the game which I as mapper can not solve as far as I know. I'm sorry, I hope it wasn't too bad! :(