The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Sneak & Destroy, by SeriousToni, Beginner's Contest 2012 - Update 11/2022

SeriousToni

Sneak & Destroy - Do you like it? :)  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

I wanted to vote graphics better than tolerable but not quite good overall - even though it was good in places. The story was okay (but not much to it) so that was tolerable - but entering the room I got objective complete while I was creeping in - that really needs a more local trigger plus one of those 'face' triggers with a delay so you have to 'see' and have time to realise what it means - or at least connect it with the objective complete message.

Other than that, I played on top difficulty but didn't quite find all loot so didn't finish. Everything ran smoothly though and I enjoyed it. I liked the background sounds outside at the start - very atmospheric. I semi-ghosted but caused quite a lot of low-level murmurs plus several big busts where I reloaded all but one.

A lot's gone into this so thanks - a nice standard Dark Mod mission! :)

• 1 year later...
Loot Total

There was a lot of sneaky loot locations for this mission, and I seem to have missed one or two. My tally is 5830/6075, so I'm missing 245, which isn't much and I could walk away from this happy, but before I do, there was one chest that had some possible loot items that I can't seem to grab. This is an ongoing problem with Dark Mod missions for me and I'm hoping 2.06 will solve it. Anyway, I'm posting a snapshot of the chest and asking if this is supposed to be grabbable. A side note: once I close this particular chest, it doesn't highlight any more and can't be opened (there was another chest that did the same thing).

post-38134-0-36260100-1516045097_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This mission offers speed potions at the loadout screen, however, the engine does not support this.

Speed potions need fixed or remove from this mission's store.

Also, the two hanging wall plates in the "incorrect" inn room have the 2.06 bright object problem.

• Like 1

This mission offers speed potions at the loadout screen, however, the engine does not support this, speed potions need fixed or remove from this mission's store.

Also, the two hanging wall plates in the "incorrect" inn room have the 2.06 bright object problem.

I assume you tested this under 2.05..?

@Serious Toni, are you around to fix this..?.

Edited by Bikerdude

I found it under 2.05, got people in Discord using 2.06 to test as well, it's broken for everyone (the speed potions, that is).

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

• 2 months later...

This mission offers speed potions at the loadout screen, however, the engine does not support this.

Speed potions need fixed or remove from this mission's store.

Can anyone who has played the mission confirm that the speed potions actually did work originally? The speed potions VanishedOne was working on a few years back were never game ready (and were long after this mission was released). I played the mission but have no memory of speed potions.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for fixing my mission biker. I did not any work in Dark Radiant since years and could not have done this in the speed of light you have when it comes to building maps. I hope this mission still is enjoyable and maybe there will be a follow up map to the story, if time allows. :)

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Loot Total
There was a lot of sneaky loot locations for this mission, and I seem to have missed one or two. My tally is 5830/6075, so I'm missing 245, which isn't much and I could walk away from this happy, but before I do, there was one chest that had some possible loot items that I can't seem to grab. This is an ongoing problem with Dark Mod missions for me and I'm hoping 2.06 will solve it. Anyway, I'm posting a snapshot of the chest and asking if this is supposed to be grabbable. A side note: once I close this particular chest, it doesn't highlight any more and can't be opened (there was another chest that did the same thing).

The objects shown in this picture are no loot objects! I am sorry I seem to have failed to make them moveable. This is nothing that has to do with the typical loot chest bugs which don't appear to me since at least 2.05 anymore. ;)

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

• 2 years later...

To stumble across this FM exactly 9 years 1 month after it was released. I don't get how I missed so many missions over the years. Just started the mission and I really don't want to read a bunch of spoilers to find the lock-picks. Got the house & basement keys. Anyone remember where they are?

*So, I did start reading the posts. Ahh, there are no lock-picks & no Killing. That would explain why I didn't try it way back then. Didn't master the BJ in TDM for the longest, but now I'm gonna give it a shot. Why not.

Edited by Acolytesix
no keys
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, this is another old classic mission that I have been meaning to play and finally got around to.

I had a lot of fun, but also a lot of frustration, with it. First I'll say that the mission is cleverly planned, well laid out, and logical. The guard patrol routes are tight and their sight lines are quite long in places, which I normally like. It makes you  think about, and remember, your surroundings.

And the architecture is quite beautiful, especially the Blue Lantern inn, which I suppose must have once been a Builder church at one time. I also enjoyed the detective work, first to find the identity of your would-be assassin and then figuring out how to get the nasty piece of work to go to sleep.

What annoyed me is that sometimes the patrol routes bordered on unfair. At times you could get stuck in a long corridor with no cover or shade, and the ambient is so bright it contributes to the lightgem, which makes hiding even in complete darkness iffy.

I'm also not a fan of guards noticing loot missing and turning the lights back on. In my opinion (and this is just my own personal taste) it should be at most one of these things. If you have a conspicuous loot piece, put some unrelightable light sources nearby so you can cover up your theft with darkness.

Spoiler

This almost stopped me winning the mission. I'd perforated the wannabe assassin and was now going to burgle the inn for the rest of my loot goal. The servant downstairs who patrols the main hall spotted the missing paintings right away, and before long every guest and guard was searching the place with his sword drawn.

All in all, this is a solid 7/10 for me.

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

• 2 months later...

When I get home from work, I will ping you TDM discord details.

EFX reverb is now much simpler.

1) Create info_location's and info_locationseparator's to define areas. ( The same as when used for controlling ambient light color, ambient music, or other location based features )

2) Create an efxs subfolder in your mission directory with a <mapname>.efx file

3) For each location in step 1 create a revert preset:

Version 2

eaxreverb "mylocation" {
  preset auditorium
}

eaxreverb "mylocation2" {

preset cave

}

In the <mapname>.efx file

If you wanna get fancy, you can customize the presets with additional attributes

eaxreverb "mylocation" {
  preset auditorium
 echo_time 0.25
}

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Setting_Reverb_Data_of_Rooms_(EAX)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I've just checked my mission under the newest official game version. One of my locked doors (the one in the cellar which should prohibit access to the dispensing system) has a wrong rotation. If I try to 'use' it, it does resemble the correct locked sound. However it is open. I am 100% sure this hasn't been the case on the past game versions. Could this been happening because of the 'rotation hack' I've read about?

It's a bummer since this door is somehow critical to the story progress. Were there any reports of miss-rotated doors after the last release?

FYI I checked this in 2.08 and there the door is perfectly in place. I will have to try to make a small update ASAP and let you know when it's done. The rest of the intended changes I will do later, since the door is critical.

FYI I am still not sure what caused the error since 2.09 but I couldn't fix the door by rotating it. I was only able to solve this by deleting the door entirely and re-inserting the prefab "vault door" in the map. Then I rotated it in place and tweaked the rotate values for the door and its lock. I reassigned the key and checked ingame. It now works. The prefab name also has a number in the end of its name which differs from the number my "old" door had. So this also could be that the prefab has been updated maybe.

Anyways since this problem seemed to only occur in my mission since 2.09 and only for that specific door I think that's not important to sign on the bug tracker. It is solved now. I just wanted to let you guys know, in case someone else has this problem in their mission.

I'm still working on a few other fixes and will release the update as soon as I'm finished.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

So finally my mission update is feature complete but since the last internal beta test there were added a dozen things. This is why I would ask someone to beta test the newest version on bugs and oddities.

If someone is interested please respond in this thread and I'll send you the packaged FM for a test.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...