The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Sneak & Destroy, by SeriousToni, Beginner's Contest 2012 - Update 11/2022

SeriousToni

Sneak & Destroy - Do you like it? :)  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

Thanks for including the pictures, guys! But the download links still are not working (except for minus)

The link says:

http://www.thedarkmod.com/missiondetails/www.bloodgate.com/fms/kneipe24.pk4

so the link has to be set up as external link (it now points to the site itself with bloodgate as a sub directory). Would be cool if that can be fixed too! :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I am totally astonished that a beginner could produce a map of this quality.

I really enjoyed playing it om the hardest setting (I even walked over the roofs around the edge but didn't get anywhere).

I only had one problem - as reported earlier

I knocked out the assassin before turning off the beer

but overall a very enjoyable mission.

All I need to do now is go back to my last save game and find the rest of the loot

Nice to hear!

On the knock out:

I really don't get it, how so many players knock out the assassin :laugh: I mean, I already arranged so hard to make it nearly unpossible to knock out this person before, but man, I guess some players trick me because they're much smarter than me ^_^ Congratiulations on that! I hope you will enjoy after reloading and finding all the loot! Have fun! :D

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Imo...

some players (including me) don't/didn't connect the guests in the taproom to the assassin. You read the note,

deactivate the tap, guests come out and I thought "Nice, now I can knock out them one after another and have some piece

and quiet while looking for the assassin and looting".

The most fun I had with a TDM FM in a long time.

The sneaking and guard placement worked beautifully IMO, not difficult at all but requiring a few smooth moves to avoid raising an alert level. It felt rewarding, although I wouldn't have been against slightly more tense patrols. The story is good (also: Samus) and straight to the point, there's plenty of loot -- I must admit I do love ridiculously high loot values -- textures are nice and... there's lighting. Really, I was amazed by the latter, I felt the lighting was closer to the original Thief games than the usual TDM missions. Music and ambients were used well and the overall feel of both taverns was very good.

On the minus side, there's room for improvement in the general architecture and geometry, and I would have enjoyed a few more hidden passages and vertical exploration. Absence of lockpicks felt contrived at first but after a few minutes it became obvious that it wouldn't be frustrating. On the other hand, I think the lantern should be a requirement in all missions except those where you begin with no inventory. Sometimes I just want to be lazy and search a room without having to go grab a candle somewhere else for some light.

Thanks for the great mission.

Great first mission ST . Tempted to climb a few bits of vines/ ivy to no avail and get into a few places I shouldn't have been in !

In the main objective hotel HQ the guy in that room disappeared through the floor when I tried to blackjack him. Never did find him.Even funnier , in the secondary hotel the old boy wearing glasses ( looked a bit like Einstein ) disappeared through the floor but just his head remained poking out from the floor boards. I thought it a tad unkind to attempt a blackjack in that position! Didn't realise at first that I'd fail the objective by bumping off the officer walking around the area. Missed the good old lock picks!

Very enjoyable and look forward to your next one now.

Hello raymeld

Thank you for playing my mission - I'm happy you liked it! :)

The stand up and fall through the ground bug is a known problem in the community. I couldn't fix it - hopefully patch 1.08 brings relieve!

I really enjoyed this one! Almost unbelievable that it is a beginner’s contest. :rolleyes: The voice was great. Just wish you utilized it a bit more. Liked the idea of opened ending which poses the question if you will continue to develop the story. I think you should and am looking forward to it! :rolleyes:

http://www.thedarkmo...tails.php?id=58

The bloodgate link listed there doesn't work... you have to take the 's' out of the /fms/ part of the link....

Also the Fidcal link doesn't work, you have to take out the 'www.thedarkmod.com/' part out of it

A real shame to have 2 broken links for a great FM like this one :)

Edited by TheUnbeholden

SeriousToni. You asked why such a low score. The main reason is this:

I really don't get it, how so many players knock out the assassin :laugh: I mean, I already arranged so hard to make it nearly unpossible to knock out this person before, but man, I guess some players trick me because they're much smarter than me ^_^

As for other aspects, I find it to be average TDM mission. If there was such option I would select it. Good for me means something better than average so I chose tolerable.

It's only a model...

Haha jysk!! :D

Arcturus - the reason why I asked you was that (in opposition to the high votes where I know "Okay everything is fine do that again or even with a few twists more next time") I need to know what made you feel so absolutely bad about this mission in contrary to the other good votes, so that I can learn from it and do it better the next time.

Your comment left me with nothing more but:

• Gameplay 1/5 : "Why do you black jack everyone when you first need to find out who could be the assassin and search for possible clues?"
  • Appereance 2/5 : "Was the mission too small, too detailess, to unorganic, too big, too confusing, too colourful, too dark, etc. - Were the new models, textures, sounds etc. crap."
  • Story 2/5 : "Was the efford to less for the artworks, the books, the narrator himself, the intro, the outro, etc. for telling you a story"

I am not critizicing your vote. But I want at least a few reasons and hints so that I can do it better next time, before you find yourself in another boring mission again.

Thank you very much

I think Battlefield 3 or Modern Warfare would be a more fitting games for you. They even have realistic houses.

Was that addressed to me? Because it's completely unrelated to what I wrote.

SeriousToni, I don't think your mission was crap. It was an average TDM mission. But I'm not going to lie to you. You should rather ask those who gave you maximum score. Because, can you honestly say your mission was "near perfect" in every aspect? I don't appreciate double standards: - He's new, If I give him worse than excellent he'll cry and run away. - I don't pay for it so I can't complain. - I'll give him max than he'll give me max, etc.

If I can give you an advice, It will be to test more next time and make sure that players aren't punished for playing the way they like. One of the core aspects of Darkmod is nonlinearity and freedom after all.

It's only a model...

If I had to choose if I would ask the many many people who votet good results to ask why (and most of them already stated why it was good to them) or you as exceptional case then I would ask you (as I did) to tell me why - but again you failed to make your point clear on the single votes. I give up on that now. I don't wanted a discussion, I just wanted a clear review.

Thank you for your vote.

EDIT: Next time I'll take 0 to 4 stars for the votes to make it easier and clear out every difficulties some people might have..

Edited by SeriousToni

SeriousToni, I don't think your mission was crap.

4/15 or better 8/30 on a 10 numbers chart certainly means utter crap. Especially when considering that there is no zero vote, so therefore 1/5 (=worst possible) means full of shit.

Probably its a semantic problem, as those words in the poll are very "positive".

Edited by jysk

I started this, using 1.08.

Very well done.

But I was just hoisted by my own petard.

I'd put out a hall oil lamp and was hiding in a corner, a short distance away, waiting to enter a cross-hall, when a guard entered my hallway, walking right past me. I let him go by, then peeked out into the next hall. Nobody. I realized the guard had stopped, so I looked back and the SOB had his tinderbox out and was just about to relight the light I'd put out. *$#@^@*U@!!! Why'd I write that code?

I dashed out of the hall just as the light came back on.

Talk about reaping what you sow.

Very nice mission so far.

But I miss the lockpicks.

• Like 1