The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Sneak & Destroy, by SeriousToni, Beginner's Contest 2012 - Update 11/2022

SeriousToni

Sneak & Destroy - Do you like it? :)  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

Good Mission,

I was really confused.

<p>I ghosted the map. Coming up through the basement, I stole the first key I saw, unlocked the pump and turned off the machine. Then I went around the rest of the house looking for the assassin. I never saw guests returning to their rooms - they were already there!

When I came to the room with the poster on the wall I quicksaved and killed her in her bed. The game ended immediately with an 'objective failed' so I reloaded and finished exploring the map. Eventually I realized I had no idea who I supposed to kill. I had to come here and read spoilers to learn that the game had glitched the first time.</p>

Hello trousemonkey,

thank you for your message. I am sorry you had problems playing this map.

In which difficulty mode did you play the mission when the glitch happened?

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Pretty much everything is what I like out of a TDM mission, I really liked to have a little walk behind guards on the streets especially wide normal looking streets like we have here rather than the cramped poorer streets we're used to.

+Length

+Visuals

+Some good audio cues

+A readable that I enjoyed

+Robbing every room in the 2 hotels :)

+Assassination, kill or be killed is a good motivation and it always has a special place for me

-No lockpicks? thats a bit weird.

-Difficulty is perhaps middleground but theres not that much you can do about it lest there be a unrealistic amount of guards ect

-it ended

Edited by TheUnbeholden

• 7 months later...

I had a bit of disappointment today.

I was replaying this mission. I decided to go upstairs in the big tavern first and lay a landmine on that certain NPC's bed. Then I went down and turned off the pumps, to send the guests to bed. I was disappointed when I didn't hear a far-off "Boom!" and then an "objective complete".

I went back upstairs to investigate, and I found her sleeping as normal... on a landmine. Apparently landmines don't go off if you leave them on a bed and an NPC goes to sleep there. Can this be considered a bug? What if some FM author made doing this sort of thing the actual objective? I tested by stepping on the landmine and it went off as usual on the bed.

Just having an NPC sleep right on it doesn't trigger it though.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Just having an NPC sleep right on it doesn't trigger it though.

The AI's origin is still on the floor next to the bed, and it's only an animation that puts him on the bed.

Ditto for putting a mine on a chair that an AI subsequently sits on.

You can file an issue requesting that the code correct these situations.

• 2 months later...

Why do I have two folders for this game with the same version in each

One is sneak_destroy and the other is kneipe24

The pk4 in kneipe24 was modified on 23rd Oct 2013 and the pk4 in sneak_destroy was modified on 1st Feb 2014

Should I just delete the kneipe24 folder

Edited by Oldjim

Then for my understanding all you would have to do is look in which version your savegames is in and delete the other version. I created kneipe24 - there should be no other version anyway - don't know from where it's coming. To be sure you can just use the recycle bin and if the game stops working restore the necessary folder and delete the other one.

Confusing. :wacko:

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

The only thing I saw on the wall was a wanted poster with an arrow through it

Good for you. i entered the room and before i was realizing anything the "Target sucessed" sound was playing.

Although i liked the different NPCs, like the Pirat or the Musican or the Engineer, who was in the wrong Tavern :D

But sadly it was way to easy, i played on hardest setting without knocking someone out.

The Idea with the Beermachine to turn it off.

Whats all about the mysterious lady in the prologe?

Was she the assassin?

@ Papulo

I'm happy you liked my mission!

The Target suceeded sound may comes a bit too early for some players not realizing where they are atm, yes. Sadly I can't check where the player is looking at (as a condition for the sound trigger) and on the other hand I would not like to set the trigger deeper in the room or even in front of the picture because that would be the danger for some players to not enter the trigger zone and miss the target.

I'm glad you liked the different characters and their little stories. Have you noticed some of the new models and sounds too?

No, the mysterious lady was not the assassin. She has a role to play in the next mission that will follow hopefully this year.

@Oldjim

Thank you for testing this out! Maybe someone of the team members changed the name of the folder for clarification? I'm sorry for the confusion you had, I wasn't aware of the name change lately.

Yes, grayman was upset unusual naming conventions for FM packages (mismatched with FM name) and Biker went through and updated these for the 2.0 release as I recall.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I remember the thread started by grayman. I also remember that I explained the name to him ^_^

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I have just updated the screenshot section in the first post as the original link was dead.

The mission links still work, but downloading this mission via the ingame mission downloader is recommended.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey Toni,

So I just replayed this mission, and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. Visually, all your custom textures make for a very unique feel to the level, more "colorful" than most FMs, and the level design/story setup really kept me on edge much more than most simple heist missions do. On a subconscious level, I think it was the thought that there was someone out there trying to get me that pulled me into the world and made it seem like something scary could be lurking in the corners. Good job and I really hope you make another!

• Like 1

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Thank you moonbo, for this nice and kind review - it's really a pleasure to me! :blush:

I already started to work on the sequel of this mission long time ago, which will lead you to the mysterious lady again, but due to a lack of time for mapping, I am really sad, that this hasn't been released yet.

The overall nice reviews of this mission are what keeps me hanging on this still. So there will be a release of mission #2 when I have more time for mapping again (maybe over the holidays?).

How do you guys do that..?! I mean.. having a job in front of the computer and go home and start to map in front of the computer again. It's really not an easy thing for me :ph34r:

Thanks again for playing and the review - I love it when you have fun with this mission :D