Poll - which run animation is better

Arcturus

Run animation - old vs.new  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which animation is better?

• I prefer the current one.
    • I prefer the new one.
    • Both suck.

Can we vote for variety? Like, different AI would run slightly differently?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

We really need to see videos of the running from the side. The new one looks a bit better from the front, but much worse from the side, IMO.

Tough call. One looks like it suits the limited flexibility of heavily-armored folks (builder guard + elite guard), and the other looks like it suits more plainclothes (priest, civilian).

Oh, yeah. I'd also like to see side view. :P

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Here's a comparison shot to illustrate what I said about the new run looking down at the ground more. In the top, original run, the character is more erect and is looking further ahead. In the new run (bottom) he is bent over more at the waist and is looking more at the ground. That might be more realistic for running a race, but not for chasing someone or running away looking for help.

post-9-0-18747400-1334262170_thumb.jpg

In the absence of 'both are fine' option, I'm not voting at all.

They really are very close in quality to each other in my eyes. However, the new one beats the old in one thing: the builder skirt (or whatever that is) is clipping with the legs in the arse area. The newer seems to fix this.

Why not give the old animation to the heavy armour characters: city watch elite, chain and plate armor. The new one would fit nicely to lightly armoured people: commoners, leather armor...

Have the best of both worlds? The builder definately needs the new animation.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Aww, alright, the side view convinced me. Voting the new run to be the better one.

The reason is that the bodies seem to be weighting something on the new one. In the old ones, the body looks rather light. Like there is not weight transferring from the other leg to the other one. The upper body is very stiff like GameDev already said.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Naaaaah, me thinks we need another comparison where two AIs run with two different anims ^^, then we will do comparisons on different models in pairs and then from the top angle, and in the end all the AIs will be rigged with werebeast run anim and then we can try voting...

Edited by pusianka

In the absence of 'both are fine' option, I'm not voting at all.

They really are very close in quality to each other in my eyes. However, the new one beats the old in one thing: the builder skirt (or whatever that is) is clipping with the legs in the arse area. The newer seems to fix this.

Why not give the old animation to the heavy armour characters: city watch elite, chain and plate armor. The new one would fit nicely to lightly armoured people: commoners, leather armor...

Have the best of both worlds? The builder definately needs the new animation.

That would also mean we have more variation in running (btw, shouldn't all the AI have very very slightly differernt running speeds?) It looks more like a syncronized military parade to me.

I like the new one a tad more than the old one, but the "the old is more stiff so good for breastplated" applies.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

This is more what I meant by a side view. The movements are definitely less stiff than our current run, but a couple of significant things stand out to me (though maybe it's just me):

1. The feet seem to 'bounce' off the ground...they don't look like they're making solid contact somehow.

2. The head bobs forward on each footstep; looks artificial to me.

3. The character is looking down at the ground, not at where he is going.

4. The character looks like he's exerting himself too much to go that slow...it looks to me like they're running into a strong wind.

Where's the in between anim? Seriously i think mixed they might be about perfect.

True the old ones are a bit stiff. But like Spring said I think the new ones are leaning a bit too much like they are running into the wind. They might be a bit too light on the feet...

I don't feel like they are looking down all that much though.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I think there could be a little more general z-axis movement in both. If you put a waist-high wall in front of them in sideview and gave their arms a canoe paddling animation, it would be totally believable that they are rowing a boat across the screen.

Edited by ungoliant