The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Rightful Property - by jysk (2012/04/13)

jysk

Poll: Rightful Property  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

holy fuck that spider lair! Noooo! :wacko: After that, I did not have the heart to rob the girl's parents, so I finished with lower loot than I could have gathered (3000-something out of 3500).

lol I feel exactly same while I was robbing them. Then I said wtf? this is just a game grab them, grab them all! :) I think spider part and story of the little girl is peak of this mission.

if you don't mind I'll post your message in editing tip of the day, because no need to use spoiler if you don't want to share this useful info with community. :)

True. I didn't need a spoiler. I think I used spoiler because the original post did. Please share it.

• Like 1

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

My rating:

Gameplay: Good I could easly say Excellent if marketplace was good in fps which effects gameplay dramatically. However in return of that, you got rid off linear gameplay automatically. Alternative entrances are my criteria and you did well. Actually I liked spider pop-up at most. It was totally suprise to me that I like to see in fms, but not in real life. :P

Appearance: Excellent I prepared myself to some minecraft geometry since this is a first attempt but surprisingly visuals is more than good! Not really excellent however if I have voted good it would be unfair. Some z-fights are noticable and too bad you couldn't implemented switchable lights.

Story: Good As I mentioned in my previous post, minor story(spider and little girl) is covered better than major story imo. I wish I could say same for story telling of main objective too, then it would be excellent. Maps are good and self explanatory. Readables are fine too.

In conclusion, your first darkmod fm ends up with good score. :) You should know that I voted yours as a regular darkmod fan mission without considering it's a first try, same goes to serioustoni's and any other missions. Otherwise it can be misleading to newcomers who don't know reason of high scores, beginners contest etc. If you have future plans on darkmod mapping, then be sure to browse this and this tutorial about creating large areas with better optimization if you haven't already.

Finished it. Excellent mission. The storytelling was quite compelling, and this is why I hated

to find the girl dead, and the parents still hoping. The lit candle in front of the Builder's symbol...heartbreaking.

And the spider....well played my friend !!!

Maybe I missed a readable, but what did exactly happen in the warehouse? (or was this were the spider excaped?)

Thanks for the comments. :)

@ Chiron

Yes, someone importes those spiders, but one broke out when the crates where in the warehouse and then they tried to conceal it. But the one spider caused all those troubles in the town etc.

Edited by jysk

Hope u used the bank main entrance key i have placed i the office just if someone wants go the fast way. ;P

The main reason I decided to make a run for it is the fact I found the front entrance key! Too tempting.. lol

Hmm, apparently i'm the only one having problems even starting this mission.

I get to the static text "Mission Loading - Please Wait" part and then after a short while, i'm staring at the main menu of The Dark Mod with no sound. No error messages or anything, it just aborts the mission for some reason.

I have never seen this behavior before with DarkMod and i just played through "House of Theo" and "Sneak and Destroy" without any problems what so ever.

Any help will be appreciated.

i can't believe you were a virgin :)

great gameplay and appearance :)

it would be a perfect mission if the story wouldn't be average. but i would give it 9 out of 10 points :)

i don't know much about mapping, but i hope there will be a new version with a performance tweaked market place. i also tried the mission on a very new and expensive gaming computer of a friend of mine and still the frame rate dropped extremely.

a big f*ck you for the spider :) i knew what would happen and still i almost pissed my pants. great stuff :)

Edited by caedes

Same problem as The elusive one and Lady Jo, Iwent a bit further and tried to start it again after it went to the menu with no sound and it came back with failed to span player error. Shelving this one until fixed.

CycloManiac!

Several missions produce unexplained crash to desktop errors when you set your language localization to anything other than English. Try changing your language setting back to English.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Played this just now. My view, just briefly to save time.

The good:

Good storyline, I felt the story, that is always cool. Good gameplay, lights were generally placed well. Good equipment.

The bad:

The area in front of the inn and the bank was a slideshow for me. That map in general could have used a lot of optimization, or be planned in a way to make encapsulation easier.

Some lights were way too bright: the bank was very difficult, so I hid in the shadows with my blackjack and...

10002215.jpg

Sotha was here. I bet the morning shift would be surprised...

The mission was also a bit out-of-focus. The mission is very big and it tried to be everything at once: a city map, a bank heist, a scary monster story, an inn break-in, a dock-area heist.... I'd say it is better to focus on only a few things and grab that well. But for a first map, it is good to try a little bit of everything I guess. Who am I to comment: The Alchemist was very similar to this one in terms of the lost focus.

Anyways, the mission was enjoyable. I almost quit in the slideshow part, but luckily getting out of there was trivial and I was able to continue to the more well refined areas. The plot kept me hooked until the very end.

Also kudos for the ingame maps. I always appreciate those as it gives me a sense what I am doing and where I am going.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Played this just now. My view, just briefly to save time.

The good:

Good storyline, I felt the story, that is always cool. Good gameplay, lights were generally placed well. Good equipment.

The bad:

The area in front of the inn and the bank was a slideshow for me. That map in general could have used a lot of optimization, or be planned in a way to make encapsulation easier.

Some lights were way too bright: the bank was very difficult, so I hid in the shadows with my blackjack and...

10002215.jpg

Sotha was here. I bet the morning shift would be surprised...

The mission was also a bit out-of-focus. The mission is very big and it tried to be everything at once: a city map, a bank heist, a scary monster story, an inn break-in, a dock-area heist.... I'd say it is better to focus on only a few things and grab that well. But for a first map, it is good to try a little bit of everything I guess. Who am I to comment: The Alchemist was very similar to this one in terms of the lost focus.

Anyways, the mission was enjoyable. I almost quit in the slideshow part, but luckily getting out of there was trivial and I was able to continue to the more well refined areas. The plot kept me hooked until the very end.

Also kudos for the ingame maps. I always appreciate those as it gives me a sense what I am doing and where I am going.

I can't discuss about your taste but I think it's not out of focus. Objective is clear where to find him and you have map to locate him. Later, next objective evolves and it's clear too. So, it depends to player where to go first. Otherwise I feel a linear game.

I agree with Siyah, and appreciate the structure of the mission. Sometimes a mission needs a laser-precise focus. Sometimes it needs to be vague and incidental. This mission is closer to the second style, but I think it works well.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

@ The problems loading up the mission: Well i have absolutly no clue?! The mission loads up properly with my PCs and on the PC of other people too. What does the console say when it stopped loading? (CTRL+ALT+ ~ / STRG + ALT+ ^ ) I guess briefing and shop were then fine?

@ Performance: I am trying to make somehow "improved version" to VP at least the area behind the houses properly which may grant a few FPS (but will create some awkward "views" behind the houses because of adding some skyportals there), but the very "heavy" scenes wont be much effected. Obv when the player stands at the bank and he looks down the whole market or the other turn around from the balcony there is nothing i can do i guess.

@ Focus:

Well the mission was intended to let the player explore some additional house/sceneries beside the main objective. Ofc it wasnt all planned this way and i had to change things during mapping. E.g. at first i wanted to make only 2 houses and a Inn in a L-shape at the docks but then I ironically thought that would kill of performance (*lol*) because this way the player would see everything from start on. So i made the castle area and then the town.

I still appreciate the feedback. :)

Edited by jysk

@ The problems loading up the mission: Well i have absolutly no clue?! The mission loads up properly with my PCs and on the PC of other people too. What does the console say when it stopped loading? (CTRL+ALT+ ~ / STRG + ALT+ ^ ) I guess briefing and shop were then fine?

Yes briefing and shop are fine, it crashes just before entering the mission proper.

Anyway i did some testing and found that it's sound related. I'm using a Soundblaster X-FI card, so i use OpenAL/EAX in DarkMod/Doom3. If i change settings to not use OpenAL/EAX the mission starts normally.

So something sound related in this mission makes it crash and the console output confirms it:

ERROR: idSoundCache: error generating OpenAL hardware buffer

But this is the only DarkMod mission this has happened with, so something must be different in this mission to trigger it.

I have attached console dumps with OpenAL/EAX enabled (condump_OpenAl_crash.txt) and OpenAL/EAX disabled (condump_noOpenAL_ok.txt).

Maybe you can see something in them, that helps.

condump_OpenAl_crash.txt

condump_noOpenAL_ok.txt

My reactions as I had them. Had to quit early because of an odd bug.

I like the large open spaces that I saw in the beginning. I'm also psyched to tear into this (large?) bank. I didn't buy the map since I wanted to find my way in.

In docks shed, able to drop a crate through the floor.

In same shed, ambient light level changes.

99 bottles in a crate! Yay!

The light in the docks warehouse looks lit when off.

I don't think the water was animated, not that it matters much.

Then things started to get weird. In the warehouse and elsewhere around the docks I would suddenly start strafing involuntarily to the left. Also, sounds would repeat, such as a guard archer w/ torch who was yelling at me. It was accompanied by a bit of a freeze, in spite of the decent framerates I was getting throughout the mission. I quickloaded into the warehouse and had the same stuff happen, despite nothing being wrong during the first 10-15 minutes. I'll try again later, unless someone else is having these problems.

Yes briefing and shop are fine, it crashes just before entering the mission proper.

Anyway i did some testing and found that it's sound related. I'm using a Soundblaster X-FI card, so i use OpenAL/EAX in DarkMod/Doom3. If i change settings to not use OpenAL/EAX the mission starts normally.

So something sound related in this mission makes it crash and the console output confirms it:

ERROR: idSoundCache: error generating OpenAL hardware buffer

But this is the only DarkMod mission this has happened with, so something must be different in this mission to trigger it.

I have attached console dumps with OpenAL/EAX enabled (condump_OpenAl_crash.txt) and OpenAL/EAX disabled (condump_noOpenAL_ok.txt).

Maybe you can see something in them, that helps.

Well the map has nothing special regarding sounds, just a number of speakers + zone ambient sounds, nothing special which had not been used in other missions. I added your tip into the first post, but there is nothing i can do further as i cant reproduce it (and therefore cant test around) and i have the feeling this is more mod than map related. x:

@ Jaxa sounds strange, but seems to be mod related dunno. x:

Edited by jysk

jysx: Great mission!! Loved the spider! almost wet myself! Hope to see some more from you. keep up the fine work :rolleyes::D

I also experianced stuff falling through the shed floor like the bales of cotton and i bumped into the bucket by the door and it disappeared into the floor?? :blink:

The moveables in the shed are sticking in the ground. I will fix that. Thanks for the comment though. Pwl can you put your first sentence into a spoiler (per "[ spoiler]" and "

"), so you wont take the surprise from others away? You surly want them to wet themselves too. ;)

Edited by jysk

Well the map has nothing special regarding sounds, just a number of speakers + zone ambient sounds, nothing special which had not been used in other missions. I added your tip into the first post, but there is nothing i can do further as i cant reproduce it (and therefore cant test around) and i have the feeling this is more mod than map related. x:

Actually i found a thread on this forum about this problem http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/13126-openal-error-while-eax-is-on/ but unfortunately it was never resolved. I have the same problem with Business as Usual V2 and St. Albans Cathedral V1.6. Oddly i don't have the problem with St. Albans Cathedral V1.3. So something was changed from v1.3 to v1.6 of that mission that causes this. Maybe Bikerdude has an idea about changes that could cause this?

Anyways i can now play the mission and have done so, and enjoyed it immensely!

I uploaded a new version in the first post. Could the people responsible for the mainpage upload it? The DL Links for the mission dont work anyway btw. ;)

Apart from fixing some minor bugs/textures (nothing really notable except the sticking moveables in the shed) its only performance optimizing. I sealed the southern part of the city off from the rest (+ made some VPs working / added a few more), so some views, like when coming out of the castle area, have high fps now. With that + removing many lights /removed some overlapping lights the market itselfs seems to have also a few fps more, but its still heavy for older PCs i guess.

Ofc now you can get see castle wall from the market anymore, but it shouldnt be noticable as i made the market wall between the houses higher.

Edited by jysk