The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Rightful Property - by jysk (2012/04/13)

jysk

Poll: Rightful Property  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

On performance demanding missions mappers can (and should) consider setting the doors so that they do auto-close after some time - specially with wide open spaces.

To go OT for a moment - I'd really appreciate auto-door closing happening silently, or at least much more quietly. The number of near-heart attacks I've had from hearing a door auto-close and thinking someone's just walked in on me... :o

I made the main door to the Inn auto-close. :)

I think I managed to avoid using that; I know I got in through an upper window while spidernoobing around, but can't remember how I got out - although, actually, yes; do you come out by the horses? (Those fantastic horses)(which I couldn't jump on top of and pretend I was riding :angry:.) Yes...may have been a near-heart-attack moment now I come to think about it....thanks jysk <_<:P

For usual you get out of the inn through the sewers into the bank. The Inn main door (the one near the horses) is just for the very bold people who want to make a run for it.

Actually, that rings a bell too - tbh, with the beta-testing, I've spent so long with RPGs FM that playing your and STs maps seems ages ago. I just want to finish making some videos of RPGs FM and then I'll go back to give both your FMs some more time & attention :).

I rated the story and text as near perfect which reflected the enjoyment I had when playing it.

I don't have the technical knowledge to pick out any less obvious graphics problems but given that I didn't see any frame rate problems or major glitches I felt that my score was reasonable

Gameplay was excellent although, when playing on hardest setting, I thought that the guards could have been made a little more difficult - some random route changes would have really made it tricky.

For usual you get out of the inn through the sewers into the bank. The Inn main door (the one near the horses) is just for the very bold people who want to make a run for it.

Or for those of us who have already knocked out all the guards outside

except for the ones outside the bank which, judging by the helmets can't be knocked out anyway (I didn't try so I may be wrong there)

Edited by Oldjim

Sorry I've tried a few times, but I cannot finish this mission. I lose patience with performance issues, which causes me to lose patience with things that require patience in a TDM mission. Since I'm not finishing the mission, I'm going to restrain myself and not vote, because I didn't take the time and effort to see the whole thing. But the gameplay marks would not be good due to performance. Story seems good so far, and the appearance and aesthetics are pretty good, outside of some zoning issues with ambient light changes and music/sounds, which I did not like the handling of in the docks area.

I know it's a beginners contest, but you guys really did well on your missions in most respects, so I wouldn't pull any punches with the voting and critiques ^_^

I found

the orb in a safe at the bank.However , I haven't been able to tick off the box in objectives regarding the clue to its whereabouts.I'm thinking the note I was unable to read in the late Jason's room ticks the objective off.I've not read the hints here on purpose for fear of spoiling the mission but can some kind soul confirm if I'm right please.

Thanks !

Thanks Oldjim , thought that might be the case !

Jysk - just finished this, had a great time with it. So much to do and see, everything was laid out for the player very well. I did have some performance issues, but that's about the only negative thing I could come up with. Oh, and there were tons of Z-fighting errors visible, something to keep in mind for next time. That said, looking forward to your next mission.

Re: scores - so, what, Arcturus is the new Shadowhide? I think anyone rating this mission poor/tolerable/tolerable for a score is not being honest - there's some type of grudge going on there.

I found

the orb in a safe at the bank.However , I haven't been able to tick off the box in objectives regarding the clue to its whereabouts.I'm thinking the note I was unable to read in the late Jason's room ticks the objective off.I've not read the hints here on purpose for fear of spoiling the mission but can some kind soul confirm if I'm right please.

Thanks !

To tick the objective "find a clue..." off you have to read "Jason's Journal" which lays behind the bed in his room too, next to the banksafe key you have apparently found. The empty sheet of paper lying on the ground in his room is supposed to be empty, i made it unfrobable in a newer version of the map (because it irritated people apparently).

When you found the clue a new objective should appear which demands you to go the bank and get the orb. When you have the orb, the mission is basically over and you only have to return to the start.

Sorry I've tried a few times, but I cannot finish this mission. I lose patience with performance issues, which causes me to lose patience with things that require patience in a TDM mission. Since I'm not finishing the mission, I'm going to restrain myself and not vote, because I didn't take the time and effort to see the whole thing. But the gameplay marks would not be good due to performance. Story seems good so far, and the appearance and aesthetics are pretty good, outside of some zoning issues with ambient light changes and music/sounds, which I did not like the handling of in the docks area.

I know it's a beginners contest, but you guys really did well on your missions in most respects, so I wouldn't pull any punches with the voting and critiques ^_^

I am really sorry, the performance is indeed a problem for the map, mostly the city/marketplace part (although the 1.1 version has some optimizazions). Maybe people can return in 2020 and play the map. :)

Edited by jysk

Thanks jysk. I must say I've had a great time playing this mission and would like to thank you for all the time you put in. :D

Just a few points to add to my above comment regarding the mission.

Loved the storyline of the missing orb and Hammers . Particularly liked the side story escaped spider touch and the folk missing their daughter, and enjoyed searching for his lair and bumping him off ( lured him into the sewer water and shot him full of arrows). I actually missed the entrance to his lair initially as I was more intent on finding the bank entrance to rob it.So I was firstly looking for it above ground by tentatively inspecting any piles of crates etc I found half expecting him to jump out at me. Also climbed the pile of crates on the sea front area into the small garden because I was sure he'd be there waiting for me ! Liked the inn area/ rooms with its stables attached.An awful lot of guards patrolling so I had my own individual bit of fun by luring half a dozen of them to a dark area using noise arrows and picking them off with broadheads. That thinned them out a bit , I never was much of a stealthy thief ! Did get that slowing down stuff in the area near the inn as I said before but it didn't spoil my overall enjoyment. Altogether a great first mission. So many things to see and little bits to explore and you could play it in different ways. I might try again sometime using stealth for a change.

Edited by raymeld

I sense a distinction. how is performance in 1.08 for this mission?

I'm not a good person to ask about performance improvements. I upgraded my PC 5 mos ago (to a GTX 560 Ti) and all FMs run smoothly for me now. I had no issues in the marketplace, where many folks have reported slowdowns.

I just wanted to say, impressive mission! :D If this is what "beginners" create, great stuff ahead!

I am playing with TDM 1.07 and have no noticeable frame lags, but I have a pretty high-end PC. I'm using the version that was available a couple days ago from the servers (e.g. from within Darkmod.)

I also liked the

spider trap. I dealt with it by outrunning it and blasting it with arrows from the top of the ladder.

I also liked the bank,

even though it forced me to ghost for a while. I tried to BJ the bank guards but could not.

Great mission! I liked the large space and lots of areas to explore, as well as the plot elements!

- prjames

P.S. Forgot to mention a minor bug.

in the room with the "Venus" statue (that you reach via going out a window from the inn), I woke the guy on the couch but he couldn't attack me due to the furniture - he instead seemed to do a dance as he tried to attack me (I was closest to the door near the statue).

Edited by prjames

I think I played with an older version (have only just gotten around to playing the contest entries), so I had the unfrobbable paper on the floor and the ambient light change weirdness, though I tried to vote without taking that into account. Had a few "issues" with some of the lights (sitting in the radius of one light

just past the docks, right before the bit where you get the note that gives you the guard alertness objective completion)

yet the light before it on the crate seemed to be throwing an utterly enormous amount of light out. Had a bunch of frustration

in the bank with the electric lights, no off switch that I could find, and guards patrolling ceaselessly like robots

A few little niggles

no music for a fair part of the way in, this has probably been fixed (?), other less crazy lighting, some of the rubble on the floor being quite difficult to move over/stopping you in your tracks

Visually I thought the mission looks great. Some nice texture usage, variety, and I generally liked how you did the lighting. Had performance issues in

the market, and a smaller perf issue in the drinking room in the inn

As for the story, I think I may have rated it unfairly as I was beginning to get quite frustrated

and I managed to play the level "backwards" by going to the bank first, so some of the readables in the inn, and the underground passage weren't of much use

and it may have affected the score I gave the level.

Overall impression, solid first effort, just a few small things here and there managed to add up and sour the experience a little for me. Hopefully most of the complaints (I understand the market performance issue is a bit tougher to fix) have been fixed in an updated version, because I so desperately wanted to enjoy all of this FM, but some parts just wouldn't let me.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

your patch link is not working ;(

The rapidsharelink in the first post of this thread is not working? o.O It works for me.

@ Xarg: Well the 1.1 version which is on since about a few weeks or so has some significant improvements regarding performace, the market itself however is not fixable this way as its just a a larger open area. :/

If you

Played the bank first, its not really backward, you only have to come back a second time, but then you can take the sewers route anyway so its faster. You will only read the readable in the chest which explains the sewer route later, but apart from that nothing else will change. Ofc i didnt really expected people going through the main entrance of the bank first, as its quite hard there and the briefing mentioned the possibility of a better entrance.

Except of the castle part there should be in every area ambient music (the docks area only has waves). The music in the rich houses is a bit subtle.

Edited by jysk