The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Rightful Property - by jysk (2012/04/13)

jysk

Poll: Rightful Property  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

What are you full system specs including OS & drivers.

Long time since I posted my specs somewhere, so give me a hint if I forgot something important:

Model: HP Pavilion m6 1000 sg

Processor: Intel® Core i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Graphics Cards: Intel® HD Graphics 4000 (Driver Version 8.933.3.3000) / Radeon HD 7670M (Driver Version 8.933.3.3000)

[The graphics drivers are the latest drivers from HP for this model, they are quite dated though (2012). Because of the switchable graphics cards though, I haven't used other, more recent drivers.]

• Graphics Cards: Intel® HD Graphics 4000 (Driver Version 8.933.3.3000) / Radeon HD 7670M (Driver Version 8.933.3.3000)
  • [The graphics drivers are the latest drivers from HP for this model, they are quite dated though (2012). Because of the switchable graphics cards though, I haven't used other, more recent drivers.]
  • Have you checked its definitly switching over to the HD7670 when playing TDM..? GPU-Z is a good util for this.
  • I would check and see if HP have later drivers than this, but be aware the HD7670 isnt that pokey. The HD7670 is the same as a GT-240 which itself is the same as an old 9600GT, the 240/9600 only came with 96 cores. While the 7670 is better for newer games its a bit lack luster with OpenGL based games.

On the OpenGL front AMD are working on a driver to hopefull remedy this poor perf issue under OpenGL.

Well I made sure the parents knew what happened, left them the doll from the spider lair besides their bed (where the big trophy (or what it is) stood). Also left an imaginary note in the diary.

:wub:

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

• 4 months later...

I am 3 months late, but better late than never I guess. :)

Nice mission, made for a few enjoying hours. Performance was a bit on the bad side sadly, though I definitly haven't a really powerful machine running this.

The bank was a bit luck based, but then nobody forced me to try to more or less ghost it. That was unrealistic anyway, with the guards blind to me crouching in the vault, the safes open, etc.

One major downside was for me, that I didn't see the House with the parents of the girl. After reading about it here, and having checked everything, I finally opened the map in Dark Radiant to find it. After knowing where it is, I found it. But when I was directly in front of the door, without it highlighting (not aiming at it) - I couldn't see it either. That door could have used a bit more lightning I think, to make it easier to be seen. Maybe it was illuminated by the candle across the street with the trunk, but I took that out.

The window that was enterable had a bit light nearby, to make it noticeable, although it wasn't clear that it would be enterable.

Well I made sure the parents knew what happened, left them the doll from the spider lair besides their bed (where the big trophy (or what it is) stood). Also left an imaginary note in the diary.

I also had problems noticing a few of those crates that opened to the front, although at least one was "advertised" by a readable.

One open question for me: How did the girl vanishing from the docks, and the other vanishing people, end up down there? I mean the accesses I had were all pretty guarded,

Is the story behind it "Spider escapes from warehouse, "kidnaps" people / girl, drags them to new lair through hidden tunnels?"

Thank you for your Feedback. Regarding the one house you are somehow right I guess, but those 2 houses are very prominently featured (especially on the map), so I thought/hoped it is clear that the player should/could try to explore them.

Regarding:

The story question: Yes, thats essentially the side plot. They illegally shipped in a bunch of spiders for experiments/trading. One of them broke out (see the warehouse) and started to kill people on the streets etc. Thats also the reason why the city watch is on alert (one of the side objectives is to find that out). The spider also kidnaps/kills that little girl and you can find her remains in the sewers, where it has some kind of lair. A bit cheesy I guess, but I like cheesy sideplots. :D

Edited by jysk

• 1 month later...

While I've lowered the details in the graphics settings a bit to make the mission less resource-intensive, I have to say I've thoroughly enjoyed it. B)

Though the area the mission takes place in is not that huge, I was still pleasantly surprised by how much there was to do in this mission. Just the sheer amount of options ! Lots of nice design touches with the lighting, public architecture, people's households, and especially with the inn and the bank. I found those latter two incredibly enjoyable, as well as actually quite difficult to navigate.

And that one nasty surprise in

the sewers

was something I was not expecting. :o But I loved how it tied into the overall storyline, that was a cool if weird twist ! B)

Overall, this is a fairly demanding mission. I would recommend it to intermediately experienced TDM players, but complete beginners should steer clear until they've played at least a few of the easier and less time-consuming missions. On the plus side, with all the places one can break into or at least explore in mind, the player "gets plenty of bang for his/her buck", to use a popular phrase.

Perhaps one of the best recommendations I can give for this mission is that it reminded me of some of the better Thief II city missions or some of the Thief II engine fan missions of yore. Some elements felt like a nice homage, but indirect enough. :smile:

AMD's driver profiler sometimes gives better OpenGL optimizations to Wolfenstein 2009, or Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena than it does

for Doom 3 and variants. Renaming the executable fools the driver into giving those same optimizations to The Dark Mod.

If we were a big commercial game or if big benchmark sites tested TDM, then AMD and Nvidia would already have a Darkmod.exe profile for us.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

AMD's driver profiler sometimes gives better OpenGL optimizations to Wolfenstein 2009, or Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena than it does

for Doom 3 and variants. Renaming the executable fools the driver into giving those same optimizations to The Dark Mod.

If we were a big commercial game or if big benchmark sites tested TDM, then AMD and Nvidia would already have a Darkmod.exe profile for us.

Never knew that.. :blink: Thanks for clarification! :o

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

• 2 months later...

Don't know if I left detailed feedback, but for the simple structure. Large size. Multiple stories. Multiple locations. This mission was extremely fun. I think with a couple detail passes + a bit less square geometry it would really shine. But the most important part I present, this FM is a lot of fun to play. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Just started playing. Loving it so far. Any rope arrows or no? Thanks

There are no rope arrows. Everything vertical is reachable through mantling via the environment. :)

Don't know if I left detailed feedback, but for the simple structure. Large size. Multiple stories. Multiple locations. This mission was extremely fun. I think with a couple detail passes + a bit less square geometry it would really shine. But the most important part I present, this FM is a lot of fun to play. Thanks!

I am glad you liked it. =)

• 3 years later...
duzenko, on 13 Jan 2019 - 07:52 AM, said:

I can see a visual glitch on the lootbox in the tavern

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

Also, is there a definite explanation of the missing person incident? Like, who dunnit?

Check the sewers under the bank (to the left when you come from the hotel specifically), and you'll find your answer there.

Because in mystery novels, the first suspect is almost certainly never the murderer. No matter how much unmovable evidence there is, it will all be smashed in pieces by the wrath of the remaining number of pages of the story.

-"The Evil Spirit of the Zushi Clan" from Virtual Carnal Pleasure by Yamada Fuutarou

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, PsymH said:

Not possible to play. During loading screen I get this error message.

idMoveable 'atdm_moveable_rock_small_flat02_1': cannot load collision model models/_roth_gen/rock_small_flat02_da0c23d745c38ae0.proxy

What can I do?

This sounds like a possible case for @stgatilov, concerning his recent proxy model feature.

@PsymH As a workaround, you could try deleting your darkmod/models/roth_gen folder.

• Like 1