The Dark Mod Forums

Key Drop & Melee Animation Glitch

SiyahParsomen

I recorded a video for bugs I have encountered couple of times recently. One of them is known other one is not I guess.

http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=2871

I drop the key but it floats in air. I can take it with use button in any distance.The key was on guard in the same room.

Animation Glitch is hard to explain. First, I view and close a map while blackjack is selected. When I hit left click, blackjack hangs off. After that, when I use wheel button animation goes wrong and I need hit left button twice to hit actually. Another problem occurs with sword when I hit middle button in the releated stage.

video:

http://minus.com/mKEmAzWO4/

Edited by SiyahParsomen

are you using the correct key its

"def_attach6" "atdm:prop_silverkey"

for keys attached to an AI, and for ones that you want to drop.

and atdm:key_fancy02 type keys for ones you can't drop.

It's Crown of Penitence. So it's map releated bug it seems. I have experienced in another fm too which I don't remember its name now.

If it's not a movable entity, it will hang in the air when dropped. Most non-movable entities are set to "nodrop" but it's possible some were missed.

Animation Glitch is hard to explain. First, I view and close a map while blackjack is selected. When I hit left click, blackjack hangs off. After that, when I use wheel button animation goes wrong and I need hit left button twice to hit actually. Another problem occurs with sword when I hit middle button in the releated stage.

Hitting the middle mouse button when the sword or blackjack is raised is supposed to "cancel" the swing (it definitely does for the sword, don't recall if it's supposed to do that for the blackjack or not). Does this only happen if you view and close a map first, or can you get it to happen at the very start of the mission when you select the sword or blackjack?

Hitting the middle mouse button when the sword or blackjack is raised is supposed to "cancel" the swing (it definitely does for the sword, don't recall if it's supposed to do that for the blackjack or not). Does this only happen if you view and close a map first, or can you get it to happen at the very start of the mission when you select the sword or blackjack?

Whatever key is bound to the BLOCK action should cancel the swing. If BLOCK isn't set to the middle button, I would imagine that using that button would have no effect.

SP will need to provide the actual sequence that causes the problem.

Actually, there are three bugs in the video and I explained wrong since I didn't test it very well.

First Bug: Key floating...

Second Bug: Animation glitch of bj. It doesn't releated with viewing map. It happens everytime with bj when using block key to prevent swing.

Third Bug: Weapon rises but doesn't strike after viewing map. Sequence: Close map hitting use button or attack button. Then hitting attack button while weapon is drawn(bj,sword,bow) cause weapon to set but not strike. It needs hitting attack button again to do. Strangely no problem while using map button to close map or with any other readables from inventory.

Actually, there are three bugs in the video and I explained wrong since I didn't test it very well.

First Bug: Key floating...

Second Bug: Animation glitch of bj. It doesn't releated with viewing map. It happens everytime with bj when using block key to prevent swing.

Third Bug: Weapon rises but doesn't strike after viewing map. Sequence: Close map hitting use button or attack button. Then hitting attack button while weapon is drawn(bj,sword,bow) cause weapon to set but not strike. It needs hitting attack button again to do. Strangely no problem while using map button to close map or with any other readables from inventory.

I don't know if these problems are already in bugtracker.

Could you file a separate issue for each? Thanks.

This might be the cause of the BJ animation, or it could be really out of date or just wrong information:

When you cancel the swing, animation blending just takes over and tries to blend back to the idle position. When this happens, it looks like the blackjack model in the animation is getting out of sync with the hand. I'm not sure why this is happening for BJ but not sword, but here is a guess:

When we added the new melee system, we _might_ have changed the sword animations to take out the sword in the player MD5, and just let it be the actual moveable sword attached to the player's hand. Thus it could never get out of sync and move away from the hand, even during animation blending. We did not do this for the BJ, which could explain why it gets out of sync? Even still, it's not supposed to, but maybe it's parented to the wrong joint (not the hand) in the MD5 mesh? Thus it would stick to the hand in all deliberately crafted animations, but not during procedural blending?

Other explanation: the sword does it too but the hand-sword connection is offscreen longer so that you can't see it? Should be easy enough to test using the timescale cvar for slow motion.

Found a bugtracker releated with third bug I explained above. I think we have solved the mystery now. :)

http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=2677

Edited by SiyahParsomen

Regarding the blackjack separation: Yes, good finding on the earlier reports. I don't think it would show up as an issue in any specific animation, because it happens during animation blending from the raised animation back to the idle animation. The blending system is not smart, it just kind of linearly interpolates all the joints from one position to the other. So if the blackjack is a separate joint not stuck to the hand, it makes sense that it could move away from the hand during blending.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we don't see it for the sword because we got rid of (or made invisible) the sword object in the animations, and used the physically attached sword that never leaves the hand joint? We could try to do the same thing for the blackjack, or we could just disable "block to cancel" with the blackjack. I feel like it was disabled at one point. It's kind of nice to have that level of control, like if you raise it up in a room full of glass jars or something, and then decide not to swing but don't have anywhere to "air swing," but not strictly necessary.