The Dark Mod Forums

ATI Cards and new Catalyst drivers = No Dark Mod

Dram

I've recently been trying to get the Dark Mod up and running on my new laptop, which features an ATI card, and I was unable to start Doom 3, nor Dark Mod for that matter. I have windows 7 on the system, so I was concerned about compatibility, however a thorough, 6 hour search revealed the culprit - the ATI Catalyst drivers featuring the fix for Rage. This issue can be overcome, however, by placing atioglxx.dll from the Catalyst 11.9 drivers into the game's main directory.

Original post located on Doom3World.org:

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=234276&sid=16d835657e785970574c9ae64a39733f#p234276

It's just the rage/bf3 driver. it fucked up almost all my other OpenGL games (brink, doom3, quake live, eduke32, other q3-engine games etc.).

solution is to copy the "atioglxx.dll" from stable catalyst 11.9 to the affected games directory ("where the exe of the game is")

The download for the 11.9 atioglxx.dll is here:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=42da4136221e857d&sc=documents&id=42DA4136221E857D%21132#!/?cid=42DA4136221E857D&id=42DA4136221E857D%21174&sc=documents

Posting this in case anyone else runs into the same issue. I've not had time to play Dark Mod for about a year and a half now due to work, so now that things are finally starting to calm down, I'm looking forward to trying out a few missions that FM authors have made.

Hope this helps.

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=234276&sid=16d835657e785970574c9ae64a39733f#p234276

Any idea which versions of the drivers are affected and require this fix? Another point, does disable surface format optimisation (the new version of disable catalyst ai) not work with the affected driver version, therefore requiring this fix?

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I have catalyst ver 11.10 and TDM is running without problems (Vista).

He was sneeking silently in the night, moonlight was his enemy.

(Im not a native speaker, sorry for all miscleanous caused by my english..)

Well this issue occurs, evidently, in specific systems (card I would assume). My card in particular is a mobile 6990M, where trying to start Doom 3 caused the display driver to crash. I did'nt even get into the menu nor into the loading screen.

I'm on win 7 with Catalyst 11.10. As I mentioned, it does not happen for everybody, just for a few unfortunate. So to save them the time of searching for several hours, as I did :) , I've posted it here.

As for which versions are affected, apparently it's anything above 11.9 I believe. But only worry about trying this if you have problems, otherwise if it runs fine then it's a better idea to leave it be.

My card is ATI mobility radeon HD 4650.. I really dont understand that much to hardware problems, just wanted to let others know that not all ATI cards have problems with TDM. Unfortunalety, some of them have problems.

He was sneeking silently in the night, moonlight was his enemy.

(Im not a native speaker, sorry for all miscleanous caused by my english..)

Would this still break if we'd had a stand-alone TDM? Or is this unrelated and just breaks any OpenGL game?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

With the 1.08 executable, my Radeon HD 4850 works fine with the new Catalyst 11.10 drivers. I'm not certain that it'll be the same for everyone running an ATI GPU.

Everything gets typically Catalyst AI fubar'd under 1.07, of course. <_<

Thanks for bringing this up, Dram. Strange things are happening starting with the HD 4XXX and higher series of cards.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I wonder if video card companies still use game-specific hacks like this: http://techreport.com/articles.x/3089/1

If anybody does, that could possibly cause trouble for a non-doom3 TDM. On the other hand a lot of indie devs and hobbiest projects use OpenGL, so I doubt they would get away with that.

What I'm talking about is something like:

if $GAME_exe_NAME=megaactiongame5.exe

do optimize

else behave normally.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

whats is actually happening because as far as I was aware the game would play you would just get the spinning sky issue..?

well, i myself never experienced spinning sky, but most of FMs never gets past the loading screen... then i get "Doom3 has stopped working" error. Strange thing, this happened with most of FMs, but not all of them.

But now everything works fine. Thanks for your research and posting, Dram. I just checked all missions which didn´t worked earlier and they load up properly.

For the record, i have Win7 x86, ATI HD5570, Catalyst 10.9

It's amazing how new drivers can screw up a whole game experience <_< Nice to have some solutions to pick, thank you Dram - master of the Disco Inferno! :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager