The Dark Mod Forums

Dishonored First Video

demagogue

Arkane's new game has a video up today. It's pre-rendered. But it's awesome. Very much has a Thief/Dark Mod feel to it, with a little Bioshock thrown in. Remember that TTLG's own Digital Nightfall (admin & Cosas mapper) and Purah (author of Calendra's Legacy) are working on this game as level-builders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyDvT7XpaBc

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Oh yeah.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Yeah, the trailer does look promising. But Neb's right, we know *nothing* of the gameplay. Still, after seeing the trailer, one sure can hope... ;)

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I think we can guess quite a bit about the gameplay (they also talk about gameplay in some of the other videos, and show a few in-game clips, enough to make some guesses). It's probably going to be first-person (whether you can flip to 3P, not sure). It's mission based. You have to make your way through the streets into a building, assassinate someone, and get out. Leaning & swimming are in. The actual mission design is more like Thief (TDS) than Assassin's Creed; there are usually 3 or 4 different routes to get to your target -- like the roof, from underground, a water route, the front door, back windows.... Levels are made & tested for the possibility of ghosting, so you can ghost every level if you want (minus your target). But you're equipped enough to fight your way all the way in. You've got the Bioshock special abilities. The ones they talk about in the commentary are the freeze time one (you see in the video), a warp (jumps your character about 10 feet in some direction), a possession (you click towards an AI and temporarily possess their body to walk around for a minute or so as them; apparently physically posses so your body is somehow "inside" them for the duration?), then the attack powers like BS had. In a commentary they mentioned jumping off a building and at the last moment possessing a guard just before you'd hit the ground, and another one was using a speed upgrade to jump from one roof, and mid-jump you warp yourself across to another distant roof, which the devs didn't think you could do but left all those kinds of possibilities in. And I think the video gave you an idea of all the tech gizmos, the mask probably lets you zoom-in and see x-ray a short distance and stuff like that, a mix of sword fighting, bows, and some old fashioned guns, I bet there's some kind of grappling hook or rope arrow... There's a lot you can get from what they've released.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I wonder if there'll be any Thief references in this game. This is the same company that did Dark Messiah and that had lots of Thief references. That sign that man has on his hand looks like a glyph and the jumping from roof to roof bit looked very Thieves Highway. Thier also seems to be a very large class divide between the rich and the poor.

I'm not expecting a stealth game here but like Dark Messiah I hope there's a stealth element in it.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

I wonder if there'll be any Thief references in this game.

In another video they said the levels were designed so you could ghost them if you wanted, "for our Thief fans".

If the first security code is a certain 3-digit number, I'll be pretty happy to see it (although Irrational is the company that took that tradition).

aparrently taking over ai bodies and using them as your own includes rats. basically any ai in game can be used via mind control. Some voice acting ealier in the prison sounds like the guy that did garretts voice. sounds like karras, cos he did that voice as well. Gamespot have this same video but its got comments in it from someone who's tried the actual game. its irratating to watch cos the video gets paused whenever they make a comment about gameplay at that point.

I still don't know whether it's a spoiler to post what Digital Nightfall slyly alluded to about

the whales

after I asked, but that's one thing right there that could send this whole thing to awesome WTF? territory.

I'm also happy that Arkane have found their feet again. I vaguely remember them grappling with whether to target a niche audience or to try and make it big, back when they were considering Arx 2. Good to see them taking a shot at the mainstream and hope they keep their inventive charm.

I am hoping for a "Mirror's Edge meets Thief meets Bioshock". That roofrunning scene really got me hooked and I am hoping for some gameplay elements in that fashion... :)

You ask for nothing :D

If so, it will be a masterpiece.

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

I still don't know whether it's a spoiler to post what Digital Nightfall slyly alluded to about

the whales

after I asked, but that's one thing right there that could send this whole thing to awesome WTF? territory.

Colour me intrigued; what did Digi say? I'm guessing the only whales in the game are dead ones.

Mostly I think the trailer is very swish, and I especially like the guy-in-the-wagon's nose - but what I'm not getting from this is any sense that Corvo, or his story, is a character/narrative I might like to be interested in. I think that might be a lost opportunity, marketingwise, to make normal folk think they might want to try this out.

Edited by jay pettitt

IIRC Digi didn't originally say it, but confirmed some other fans just playing around with the idea (that the whales in the background were important)... But in the context it was said, it wasn't clear if they whole thing wasn't everybody running with the joke, since we didn't have much media so people were just running with what they could see, and we saw whales in the background.

The implication I got was that whales were like the worms in Dune, or their oil anyway, the source of magic and power.

Edit: Yep, Neb posted the quote. it was Neb after all. Notice Digi saying "nonsense" to his own post. That makes me think he was just joking about the whales themselves, but I still have a hunch the part I put in spoilers may still be part of it.

I was hoping that he said "nonsense" to something he was jokingly saying wasn't possible. If that turns out to be the case it would be madness to actually have

missions and dialogue trees with whales!

Anyhow, that's my head running away with itself. I think you're onto something in your spoiler tag, though.