The Dark Mod Forums

Dishonored First Video

demagogue

Can't help feeling totally addicted. Please devs, don't screw this up!

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Once you get the video game dorks out of the picture by muting the video, it becomes super-cool, and actually indicative of gameplay. Very promising. :cool:

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I'm glad to hear sneaking through the whole game is a legitimate option, no REQUIRED murder, very cool to be able to pull that off

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Yeah when they said you can ghost the whole thing, although it's hard, that's sold it to me as much as anything. It's like the tools & powers could be pretty fun when you're using them to find creative ways to sneak past guys.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I dunno... The player can do a lot of things: teleport around, turn into small animals, freeze time, see through walls... Even without the über-powers on, the AI seemed a bit blind.

Will the AI have a chance? Or will this be a casual you-will-always-win-choose-your-winning-method -game? Will there be any challenge?

The player seems so powerful, the game might be very boring as it might lack challenge, the very reason games are being played. Hopefully this is not the case.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

It's been said in the interviews & over at the TTLG thread, the player is not nearly as powerful as he is in that video, where he has every gizmo & power-up. In a normal game, they were saying, you'd only get a few of those power-ups over time, at least until near the end of the game.

Anyway, if you were any kind of stealth gamer worth your salt, you'd play it ironman, ghosting style, with no gizmo help and post your ghosting report to get the respect of the boards.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a leaked full playthrough of that level that they've been showing:

Edit: Ugh, when it embeds it doesn't recognize the t=753s tag, so advance it to 12:33 for the Dishonored part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2HUvTZ_6a0&feature=player_detailpage#t=753s

Yeah, I'm not liking the "invincible player" demonstration. I would have been more impressed if, at the end rampage, a burly guard knocked him to the floor and tied a burlap sack over his head -- GAME OVER.

Senseless violence -- the crowd likes it...

I was disappointed @ 22:27 when the play demonstrator

stood there contemplating what to do with the weeping bystander girl, and the crowd "boo"d him when he first decided to let her go. Then he turned around and was goaded into murdering her. He's goaded into murdering a second one at @ 23:28. Seems more like an bloodthirsty American crowd than French.

I know it was supposed to be a pretty, pretty demo, but...really?

Then again, my preferred playthrough would be one in which I am seen/heard by no one.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Didn't want to spoil myself with this video, but...

I believe the demo character has all powers and whatnot turned on, making him more powerful than you could ever get after the most meticulous playthrough.

But the main issue is this: this is not Thief, it does not want to be Thief, so it is meaningless to say it makes for an improper Thief game. This is a game about assassination, and the faster pace is entirely intentional. You play an assassin, and an assassin's job is to kill people.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

This looks amazing - I'm super excited for this one.

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

@ Melan - I don't think it is trying to be like Thief. I think it's trying to provide an option for you to play the game like Thief if you wish which is simular to what Arkane studios did with Dark Messiah.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Sir Taffsalot: My point, exactly.

I like that there is sneaking in it at all... More than you can say for any other games coming out.

It's faster paced, which is expected.

One thing I noticed, esp comparing it to Dark Mod, was that the player character is pretty floaty, and his motions are quick & swooshy, so I don't feel so much he's moving an actual character around with realistic mass & inertia. That's what gives it an arcadish feel for me... Aside of course from the quick way the AI move & the arcadish style of some of the powers and abilities. I could have fun with it, but it's not going to be like a deep immersion game for me because of that.

Bethblog has some Stealth Answers From Arkane Studios.

In Dishonored, stealth is occlusion-based, meaning it’s mostly based on enemy view cone and hiding behind objects or architecture. (At a significant distance, lighting is also a factor.)

What does it mean, "significant distance"? -- Close-by or far from the AI?