The Dark Mod Forums

Dishonored First Video

demagogue

Heh, when I try to compare this game with Thief I find myself thinking how I run to the front gate guards before Bufford's manor, slo-mo-sidestep and kill them. Then I run to the doors with the scepter in super speed, look through the keyhole, blow the walls with my power, cut the throat of Bufford, who's not at his summer manor but at his throne room, and leave with the scepter killing another 'bout 20 guards.

I don't get how you guys can think about Thief after watching this video, sorry :P

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Heh, when I try to compare this game with Thief I find myself thinking how I run to the front gate guards before Bufford's manor, slo-mo-sidestep and kill them. Then I run to the doors with the scepter in super speed, look through the keyhole, blow the walls with my power, cut the throat of Bufford, who's not at his summer manor but at his throne room, and leave with the scepter killing another 'bout 20 guards.

I don't get how you guys can think about Thief after watching this video, sorry :P

Don't forget to light the gun powder kegs in the basement so that Baffords manor blows up in the background as your walking away.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Well, I have always wanted a Thief campaign that did assassinations well, so.... :D

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

When he came in through the window and sneaks up to the keyhole, the first thing I was thinking is how is he going to ghost this. What the player did didn't remind me of Thief, but what he could have done did. They said the game is designed to be ghostable.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Overall look & atmosphere: TDS on steroids (I liked it)

Roof running and jumping: YEAH BABY - my favourite part (surprise surprise), and very Thiefy

Stabbing & hacking everyone en route: Erm....well....OK - not my style of Thiefery, but....

Super-duper-super-ultra-powers that allow player to take out an entire roomful of guards on full alert with player in full light: **Thief concept lies crushed, bleeding and kicked to one side by SteamPunk-TooledUp-GordonFreeman concept** :P

Does look awesome tho'....

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a page of some DH screenshots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47857688@N08/sets/72157629255624174/with/6996697379/

They have a flood district. Sound familiar?

Our own Bridgeport does too.

Edit: I was having a chat with Digi, one of the designers & friend from TTLG, and he was telling me how big a role func_statics play in the mapping (or for all modern games for that matter), how once you have the basic brushwork for sealing and portalling, almost all of it is overlaid func_statics that they have artists building in Maya, and it's almost rare to see the actual brushwork.

See I was thinking a little func_static overlay from a modeling program made things look good, but I underestimated how pervasive they really are. It's just unfortunate they're more labor intensive & the pipeline is sort of inconvenient. I wish somebody invented an editor that built a full-on modeling program inside it, so you could model func_static geometry and place it in the map right in the same editor. Something to dream about...

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I think the best way to do that would be to have a 'bridge' between the programs. With the map laid out you have too much on screen, etc.. to really model well. But to have a button where it pops up a new window/program. Mainly just to consolidate things more, that would be awesome.

So instead of exporting brushes and loading textures into 3d program, you just click on the brushes you wish to export (4 walls) and hit a 3d button. Where those 4 walls open in new window (modelling program) that is already tied to any possible textures (like the editor is). You model up the trim, hit a button and it goes back into the editor with the trim models there and in place on those 4 walls.

Just cutting out the middle man (exporting,importing, loading tex, making shaders, exporting, importing, adding func_static...) There's just a huge workload right now in between 3d/editors.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Yes I was thinking of opening a new modeling window and not literally building in the world (although for some things that might not be a bad idea too), but you described a setup even better than I was imagining, with a quick import-export feature carrying over the map's scale & position -- or maybe like how layers work in Lightwave; you select some brushes in the map and they'll show up in the new modeling window/layer to build around & over, either as full-on, wireframe, or semi-transparent. Wow, I want it! haha...

Well. One good step is to eliminate import/export and turn it into save/load instead. I've always been pissed off at how many essentially dysfunctional file formats there are. So the pipeline would be shortened pretty neatly if the editor could just load file formats that are not archaic or otherwise have import/export tools that are weak across software.

Edit: The different file formats have really turned into sort of a peg-leg. Like you don't save your model in OBJ only. You use a more complete format like the 3d suite often provides. We need a stable file format, dammit! :P

By turning the engine's material system into a more unified system you'd eliminate the need to write special shaders for the geometry too, what would be left is you just load an object inside the editor. Does it need to get any easier than that?

And people who don't have modeling skills will... Have to learn it I guess. What other options are there? :)

Edited by GameDevGoro

:ph34r:

Style is strong in this game, as in Bioshock Infinite.

This is what a "mature" player ask for.

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

• 4 weeks later...

Here be a trailer showing actual in-game footage. It looks good, not much different from the rendered stuff.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

A lot of it looks like TDM on steroids. A bit too much action for a "stealth game", but that might be actually more fun and appeal to the mass market more.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Slashy, slashy, splish splash.

Aside from the tiresome, borish Modern Warfare esque body count, the marketing for this thing seems helluva confused.

If they've got the awesome game that they're hinting at, then it'd be a damn shame if it didn't sell because they can't decide what direction they want to pitch it.

However, the death and brutal killing that is quicktime exploding rats (don't click on the rat trap) is remarkably entertaining.

Edited by jay pettitt

For the record, there's an interview somewhere where they said the levels are designed to make ghosting possible. So you don't have to go on murderous rampages if you don't want to. There's been a couple of games recently where they have over-the-top kill animations, even worse when it goes into 3P (Skyrim is the one I'm seeing now), and I haven't been a fan of it really.

A lot of it looks like TDM on steroids.

I think there's another quote where they said it's like a fast-paced Thief, with some gizmos & special powers.

A lot of it looks like TDM on steroids. A bit too much action for a "stealth game", but that might be actually more fun and appeal to the mass market more.

Subscribe: it's like TDM but with new visuals. And yes, seeing this video there is too much action, IMHO. I prefere TDM, but of course this DisHonored it's made by talented guys who believe in PC games as art, so i think it will be a must to play.

Pity it's not an openworld.

Here be a trailer showing actual in-game footage. It looks good, not much different from the rendered stuff.

It's great :-) , but from a tech POV, for a game of this budget and level, the animations are not so high quality.

Edited by Ladro

but of course this DisHonored it's made by talented guys who believe in PC games as art, so i think it will be a must to play.

More specifically two mappers are Digi & Purah, both famous T2 FM mappers.

There is an awesome scene

and we got a big hint that it's Purah's work. (Purah BTW made The Seventh Crystal & Rose Cottage, which every FM fan should play if they haven't already.)

Pity it's not an openworld.

It's mission based, but according to the interviews the missions are pretty open, as open as many Thief & DeusEx levels, so there's multiple routes to your destination.

Purah BTW made The Seventh Crystal & Rose Cottage, which every FM fan should play if they haven't already.

That was Saturnine. Purah made Autumn in Lampfire Hills, Calendra's Cistern + Legacy, as well as Lord Rotchest's Shadow (an early one) and a yet to be released episode in the CoSaS series.

Lol, of course, momentary slip. Anyway Purah is the one working at Arkane/Lyon with Digi (just double checked), the author of the Calendra FMs. One of them also did the T2X mission The Cure IIRC ... my poor memory.

Keep in mind that E3 is E3 and a garish festival of everything that makes gaming an embarrassment - so there's no atmosphere, politics, narrative, detail or depth on show here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V6PgQMZziY

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/58810/dis...gameplay-demo/ <- really lousy quality, see Dema's post below for better :)

Edited by jay pettitt