The Dark Mod Forums

MORE THAN JUST STEALTH!

i30817

Well, even in the worst case, we have TDM.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Well, even in the worst case, we have TDM.

Could the following scenario be possible?

1) Thief4 released: new generation of stealth gamers are generated.

2) Thief4 allows no modding: new generation of stealth gamers cannot make custom missions. They want more.

3) New generation of stealth gamers find TDM: a new influx of players, mapper and maybe even developers.

• Like 2

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Square Enix, the bulldozer trying to make games out of Western IP.

But I guess it'll sell a billion copies and spawn a terrible follow on series like AC.

I don't know what any of those abbreviations mean but as Square Enix is involved the game will be totally crap. Remeber Dungeon Siege? Remember what they did to it in Dungeon Siege 3? Remember the Tomb Raider version of Square Enix?

I guess we can expect Thief 4 with a nice design and great artwork, but shitty console gameplay (you need a usb controller to play the game) and a fuck given on Thief 1-3 or how it played.

Great. *nothing to do here*

See ya in 5 years.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Could the following scenario be possible?

1) Thief4 released: new generation of stealth gamers are generated.

2) Thief4 allows no modding: new generation of stealth gamers cannot make custom missions. They want more.

3) New generation of stealth gamers find TDM: a new influx of players, mapper and maybe even developers.

new generation of stealth gamers should be interested in steampunk, medieval settings etc. If T4 is going to something modern then no good news atl all for Thief fans. There'll be Dishonored which can influence gamers in this case at least.

I guess we can expect Thief 4 with a nice design and great artwork, but shitty console gameplay (you need a usb controller to play the game) and a fuck given on Thief 1-3 or how it played.

One of the things that I found disappointing with Invisible War Human Revolution was the art assets. No dirt. Not one single speck or iota of muck, grime wear or signs of use anywhere on anything. Everything was shiny and new and unused. Including the litter. A gritty adventure in Playmobil land.

--edit-- Arse, of course I mean Human Revolution, not Invisible War, tsk.

Edited by jay pettitt

Oh dear lord... :(

Somehow I'm still extremely disappointed, even though I never anticipated that much from Thief 4.

*sigh*

And seriously, that really feels passive aggressive: "No more hiding in the shadows".

Because that was so the thing I hated when I played Thief. :rolleyes:

Another display of what happens when you've got your head up your ass.

"No more hiding in the shadows" could just refer to "we will have more publicity for you people soon", though.

On the other hand, there is always that drive to "expand the audience" of a game by - get this - redesigning it to cater to people who never liked it in the first place. That's a great recipe for success, let me tell you.

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

the five years bit just said that Thief 4 was going to be ONE of the things they release in that time. I'm guessing it will be out in around two years or less.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

2. Super-duper hero powers, including slow motion moves like in Overwatch. (guys will hate me for that, so I'll choose another one) ;)

2. No more "Cradle" missions since most players were afraid of that ones.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

The editor chooses the title of the article, so there's a good chance Edios never said anything like that.

But still, the actual content of the article is disappointing and completely unsurprising.

I like how there are people out there that have to be reassured that there won't just be stealth, though. That's some goofy target audience mismatch.

I'm still half convinced that Thief 4 was only on the cards as some kind of last ditch effort on the part of Eidos to bolster shareholder confidence and delay their decline. Would SE really have picked a Thief sequel to make if it weren't already in preproduction?

It's possible that EM released sudden T4 news because of Dishonored. They may wanted to remind that there is another stealth game on its way. Besides they may refer to some elements such as time shift like in Dishonored which may be explanation of no need to hide in shadows. I hope it won't happen.

Deus Ex HR was a good game as its own thing. I expect T4 to live up to that and be a very polished and very cool, if railroaded, medieval world to roam around in. I don't expect it'll keep the purified gameplay that we have, but it's okay because we can keep making our own FMs.

Games aren't coming out with editors or modding capability anymore, and even when they do (Rage), it's not very feasible for one person to make a good map on it anyway. So in a sense I feel like TDM may be the last modding platform of its kind, on the right engine at the right time. Kind of fortunate it worked out when it did.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.