The Dark Mod Forums

Steam For Linux... a joke or not?

lost_soul

Disregarding the discussion of whether Steam is good or not:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/25/steam-for-linux/

Where have I heard this sort of thing before? Oh, it was a few years ago. People were pretty much saying the exact same thing! A native client would show up in a few months, because somebody somewhere ran 'strings' on the binary and found the words "client" and "Linux". Apparently Valve denied the existance of a client at that time, and until they actually say "yes, it is happening", this is just hot air as far as I'm concerned.

Also, "they're hiring OpenGL programmers". They support Mac OS, so I would hope they have hired some OpenGL coders!

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

AFAIK the original source is this.

Kotaku (I think I saw it there also) and other places of course pounced on the opportunity to spread this around.

But I don't think it's some kind of joke, I'm just tentative to when we will actually see it. Valve are not people to deliver fast development as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by GameDevGoro

If it is coming, I do understand why Valve don't just tell people firmly. e.g. If Valve were to encounter trouble finishing the port and decided to abandon it, people would be very upset.

However I think most people would be satisfied if they said something like "yes, we are working on it. It is still a way off and it isn't a top priority for us, so if we encounter too many problems, we might abandon it.

Edited by lost_soul

If it is coming, I do understand why Valve don't just tell people firmly. e.g. If Valve were to encounter trouble finishing the port and decided to abandon it, people would be very upset.

However I think most people would be satisfied if they said something like "yes, we are working on it. It is still a way off and it isn't a top priority for us, so if we encounter too many problems, we might abandon it.

Well, funny of you to point that out because that is exactly what Gabe said in an interview as to why they decided on using "when it's done" as a blanket term for when they release stuff.

He said that it's because people just get pissed off because of delays and other unaccountable problems that they encounter during development so they just decided that they'd keep things in the shadows for as long as they can and not get slammed by negative reviews and horrible rumors all around.

I don't totally agree with this way of development, but I also totally understand why... There are enough trouble to deal with without having to talk some fan off the roof.

Edited by GameDevGoro

yeah it started a couple of years ago on phoronix.com, i thought at that time thaat it would be a a great opportunity to linux gaming market. maybe linux would get better support for the gfx card (open source or close source drivers). Now it's still confusing if valve intent is for real or not. win 8 seems to be quite hated by Gabe Newell. Now that EA launched origin API for distribution and also Desura came b4 origin are becoming real competitive.

the first blob was when l4d had linux *.so files and other stuff, then a steam linux bin was made public, with no press release what so ever. Now they show a video with l4d2 running on ubuntu, but the video isn't of great quality so i could say that it could be running on wine...

it's confusing yet i would like to see this happening!

A year or two ago they said NO.

More recently I had seen rumors at Spuf. Valve has been promising a 'surprise' along with the upcoming 'Meet the Pyro' video for TF2.

Every 'Meet' video has been released with some major updates.

This does sound a lot more official now. The Mac release was a very big deal too, players that installed TF2 on Mac's at time of the update got earbuds to wear in TF2 (which are now an expensive trading piece - can be bought for $30 each).

----

Would be very cool, this was one of the major things keeping me from delving deeper into Linux.

Ironically now TDM is having linux issues :(

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Rumor has it that PlayStation 4 will have an x86 CPU + OpenGL. I don't know what OS will be used on PS4, but it definetely will be some kind of Linux.

All contemporary Macintoshes have an x86 CPU + OpenGL. Yes, MacOS is not Linux, but they both have a common roots in Unix.

So I personally not wonder that Valve is trying to extend its market to another platforms and maybe (who knows!) create its own game platform SteamBox, but without Windows.

Edited by MoroseTroll

• 2 months later...

Well I guess it aint a joke after all. Here is word from the man himself. It isn't a screenshot, transcription or anything that could be easily spoofed so I guess I believe it now.

http://www.pressfire...e-sjefen-ler-av

Funny that he mentions "why we're supporting Linux" without explaining. I would really love to hear why.

I bet they're worried about Microsoft "competing" with them. :) With the market place in Windows 8, you might see game devs releasing games exclusively through that service. That would be good for MS because it would

A: screw Wine users out of playing the games

B: finally make XP go away forever (as far as gamers are concerned)

That reminds me how all those games which were in development for other systems magically ended up "Only On XBOX".

Perfect Dark, Shenmue 2, Halo, and I'm sure I've missed others.

Edited by lost_soul