The Dark Mod Forums

WIP FM: The Phrase Book

Sotha

When should The Phrase Book be released?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. When should The Phrase Book be released?

• Now! I want it all and I want it now!
    • I'd like to patiently wait for 1.08.
    • No preference

I've mapped a bit and today I realized there is not much to add any more. More of like ironing out the wrinkles and testing. Depending of betamapper activity, I could push this mission out in a week.

At first, I was instantly thinking about releasing this mission. But then again, looking at the bugtracker for new stuff in v1.08 makes me think it would be great to postpone releasing this until the new version comes out.

So here is a poll:

Should I release ASAP or should I release once v1.08 comes out?

Waiting for 1.08 would guarantee people instantly a new mission to play with the cool new features (I remember Springheel saying somewhere that the developers don't want to play on v1.07 since 1.08 has a superior feel). Also the team would have a bag of candy waiting after the hard work of getting 1.08 out.

I'm not promising to obey the majority of the vote, but I just want to see what people think about this.

Here is a small teaser, the screenie I made into the loading screen a few minutes ago:

10092786.jpg

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

VERY nice... Im tempted to say lets wait for the new version, for the reasons you already expressed - it would be nice to play a mission with strong gameplay with the new features (I want to throw rocks at annoying guards!). We do have 3 missions to play with this month, plus Biker's, so it would also be nice to spread them out a bit more.

It's not clear, though, are you going to change the mission to take advantage of 1.08 stuff? If so then release it then IMO with the extra stuff. If it's going to be the same mission you release then as you would now, then release it now. There's no reason not to.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I can wait... we have just seen three high-quality missions getting released after all.

Also, skacky has released his awesome-looking Thief 1 mission. I will now commence to drop everything I have been working on and play the heck out of it.

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

This might make the decision easier.

If the mission has some rough performance areas and you've optimized as best as possible wait till 1.08 where the new engine optimizations might help.

If it runs pretty smooth everywhere, release it now and then Grayman et al. can use the mission to verify if any changes break any gameplay scenarios to ensure 1.08 is as backward compatible as possible.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

If it helps, it will be at _least_ two more months, likely three, before 1.08 is ready to be released.

Hm.. gotta think this over, some good points over here.

I'm itching to get this out since that is the only way of getting relieved of the 'mapping fever.'

If I release this ASAP, nothing prevents people from replaying this once 1.08 comes out and the mission is designed to be slightly different upon each replay and most of the guards use RITs to make them unpredictable.

Moveable features people will not get to test with this mission since I have never been a big fan of moveable objects, because it is easy to make things look bad with those: objects falling through tables, doors getting jammed, etc.. Due to consistency, it has to be all or nothing and I've chosen to make all small objects static. Important items and loot can be toppled with arrows, though.

Hey, this all gives me an idea: what is the smallest object the player can drop on a guard's head to KO him? Or could be thrown an a very limited range? Something a thief could carry as a tool? A cannonball? I could simply give the player a single 'lead ball' as a intentory player tool. Player could use that to drop or throw it at AIs. I would not need to budge from my finnish-stubborn-no-moveable -philosophy and people would still get some moveable to play with. A cannonball would have a gameplay effect as a vertical-drop KO tool. Everyone wins!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.