The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Phrase Book by Sotha (2012/05/12)

Sotha

The Phrase Book  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

Your first download link points to the admin area of the site dude lol.

Fascinating! Someone else must have added that since I only had the sendspace link in my original posting. (It still seems to work.)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I really appreciated the idea of "Final Save" to see statistics!

Why don't make it part of TDM's features and not of a single FM?

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

I really appreciated the idea of "Final Save" to see statistics!

Why don't make it part of TDM's features and not of a single FM?

:blink:

I am totally clueless what you are referring to. Final save? Is it a new TDM feature? I've not done anything like that to this FM.

Clipper

Sotha: You are a TDM master!! I just finished playing and the AI's were responding in a way I had not seen before. I would hide in a corner and they would walk right up to my location, so I would load a save and go to another area and they would go there!!

Thank you for a great mission! :rolleyes::D

Aye, that is the magic of RIT networks: the AI are no longer on rails like in normal static patrol. Instead they have a myriad of different places to go and things to do. They also add unpredictability as even the mission author cannot predict where they may roam.

I'm glad to see people enjoying the behavior. If someone wants to replicate it into their own map, search the wiki for "random interesting things" (RIT) to see how it is set up. It is not very complicated.

• Like 1

Clipper

:blink:

I am totally clueless what you are referring to. Final save? Is it a new TDM feature? I've not done anything like that to this FM.

:|

So why I have this?

shot00001kj.jpg

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Interesting... I almost always do one last quicksave when I am about to finish a mission in case I want to go back in and see the statistics or look for more loot. If this final save is a normal feature, that's great for getting right to the statistics. Never noticed that before.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Mission not finishing if objectives are completed is not a minor bug, it is a major one. Please give more details.

I tested hard difficulty and it worked for me. Did you go back to the starting room?

Ahn.. well.. I.. No, I did not. How dumb of me :blush:

I find the unpredictability of the AI complicated. This kind of gameplay is *very* sensitive to level design; rotate an AI an and you might have an unsolvable situation (or solvable through means of dozens of quickloads). But still, being careful, this adds a lot of life to the game! :)

Something like that happened during this FM. The main entrance room became a freaking convention with me in it! lol But, besides a few of them being a bit alerted, I've managed that part without quickloading, and it was pretty fun.

Not in the picture: The inventor was in the next room and there was a guy standing behind me.

ibzqWBHNG8OlCA.jpg

If that's the actual size of the window you are playing in.... :P

seriously - I dunno, I've always written small, have a small signature, and have no problems reading small. That size poses no problem to me whatsoever, and didn't even raise any flag in my head that it might cause a problem for anyone. Conveniently, it also opens up most of the background image for the players viewing pleasure. I rather like it.

• Like 1

About the inventor.....the eyeglasses are a member of "helm" class?

'Cause when I hit his head with the blackjack I heard the helm hit sound.....kinda LOL :D

About the inventor.....the eyeglasses are a member of "helm" class?

'Cause when I hit his head with the blackjack I heard the helm hit sound.....kinda LOL :D

The goggles come attached with the inventor AI class. I observed it too and reported it: I believe Spring has already fixed it, should be okay in 1.08.

Pity that some people have difficulties seeing the text. I left it to that size as I felt it was readable and gave justice to the briefing pictures. I hope people can still read and understand the briefing. I'll use larger fonts in the future.

Clipper

How du you get through the house with the round balcony and the open window on the other side?

The guards there can use the locked door that leads to the balconies but they don't have a key. I can not lockpick the door so I'm not able to go through this house.

It's the house on the north, don't know its name.

--

Why is there holy water? I bought some and was angry that I wasted the money since I didn't encounter any undead.

--

I thought I could get down to the street too. So I took a rope arrow and climbed down, but shortly over the street I died for all of a sudden.

--

I couldn't read some lines in the briefing because of the partly bright background.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

How du you get through the house with the round balcony and the open window on the other side?

The guards there can use the locked door that leads to the balconies but they don't have a key. I can not lockpick the door so I'm not able to go through this house.

It's the house on the north, don't know its name.

--

Why is there holy water? I bought some and was angry that I wasted the money since I didn't encounter any undead.

--

I thought I could get down to the street too. So I took a rope arrow and climbed down, but shortly over the street I died for all of a sudden.

--

I couldn't read some lines in the briefing because of the partly bright background.

ARGH! It is a bug! All doors should be pickable. How did I manage this? grumble grumble. Well spotted anyhow and thanks for bringing it up.

Holy water: You got the mission briefing. I gave you the possibility to buy anything you want. You should buy your gear based on the briefing as it tells you what to expect. I think it is fair to say that the briefing indicates that undead is not your primary opponent in this mission as it does not occur in a locale where undead normally hang around. Sure the background theme has undead in it so buying holy water might be a safe bet. I still find it strange you got angry about it.

I'll make an immediate mission update as the first issue mentioned is a critical bug. I'll increase the briefing font size a bit as well while I am at it.

EDIT: WFT I cannot pick it ingame but DR says it is "pickable 1". :blink:

EDIT2: Oh.. heh.. I've messed up lock_picktype and lock_pins. The picktype for the lock was no t or s, but a number sequence meant for lock_pins.

EDIT3: Uploading a new version...

Clipper

Great Mission. Love the "one-frob" candles. Also great job on optimization, had no FPS drops so far.

Question:

Is there a key for the balcony of castel Quinsbury(The one with two guards), or can you just go that way on

the way back ?

Great Mission. Love the "one-frob" candles. Also great job on optimization, had no FPS drops so far.

Question:

Is there a key for the balcony of castel Quinsbury(The one with two guards), or can you just go that way on

the way back ?

It was a bug that was just fixed. All doors in my missions should always be pickable. Thomas Porter is a master thief that knows how to pick a lock. ;)

Clipper