The Dark Mod Forums

Anybody ever been in a sewer before?

lost_soul

Having seen sewers countless times in computer games and movies over the years, I was wondering the other day if there is actually illumination down there. I'm specifically referring to your average manhole that you would see around town.

so has anyone ever been in one of these things? If there is no lighting system down there, I would assume you would have to carry a flashlight... and you would be very screwed if you broke/lost said flashlight or the batteries went dead.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Probably depends on the city. NYC sewers will probably have lighting. Of course city employees will have their own lighting I'm sure. Some streets have gutters along the sides that open into the sewers, so during the day you have natural light coming in. I've been in drain tunnels; there's no lighting, but natural light comes in through the entrances. A little different then a sewer but still pretty cool.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Yeah there was a storm drain we used to crawl in as kids. It was pretty dark.

Sewer, nah, not really any reason to crawl in one :) But yeah, I imagine most are unlit except for large city mainlines.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

not usally lit, but for use in games they usually are. I think you only get lights in a sewer if it has a walkway. Steam tunnels usually have lights in them though.

I've done some cad work involving sewers there was never any light circuit mentioned in any of the drawings. Also done steam tunnels and some of them did have a light circuit but it depended on what other services were running through the tunnels as well as the steam pipes.

There was this big drain tunnel emptying out into a small river in my home town, and I ALWAYS wanted to explore into it but I was too chicken! But it looked pretty dark in there

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

The drain we crawled in was pretty small, but it had a corner and a tall room at the end (under the drain). I think we had 15 kids in there once, lol. Nothing major but it was a pretty good 'adventure' at the time.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Someone ever play Mirror's Edge? *hint* *hint* ;D

That's exactly what I was going to say. The circular opening and that pillar room are both familiar scenes in that game.

Haha, I was just looking at the forum title and thinking, it's not every forum where you can start a topic "Have you ever been in a sewer before?" and everyone would understand that's a good thing. :laugh:

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

it's not every forum where you can start a topic "Have you ever been in a sewer before?" and everyone would understand that's a good thing.

Well, we're fans of a game that can reward the player for looking into toilets :P. Is there any other game which does that?

(Thinking about it, not sure I'd want to know if there was.)

Edited to add quote

Edited by simplen00b

Well, if you take dives into proper sewage blackwater, not only would that be extremely traumatic to you, but anyone would be able to smell you from accross the street! :) I never go through the sewers in any game if I can avoid it because I instinctively think people will be able to realise Im covered in and dripping of the thing, which would definetely decrease my charisma (rpgs) or allow anyone to notice me even in complete darkness (TDM). No Im not advocating for another layer of reality in the mod, but it would be funny to be hiding about fresh out of the sewers and an AI would go "damn, whats that smell?". ;)

Nosslak - damn...

Edited by RPGista