The Dark Mod Forums

Fresh Thief 4 cinematic

Outlooker

Scruples are a young developer's burden. He wanted to cash in & treat his family & co-workers to a slice of the good life...

I neither blame him nor let him off the hook. What's unfortunate is the dearth of young developers with a chip on their shoulder to make some good indie projects. They're there, but it's not like the edge devs had in the 90s.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

makes me sick every time I think of the fall of TTLG, ALL DUE TO J. Romeros crap Dikatana.... I remember the day I woke up and read the TTLG forums stating what had happened... I have not "bought" a game from Edios since, forgive me for my outrage its still very depressing how TTLG for F#%@ed all becouse Romero studio needed to survive.... I laughed in Romeros face when he showed that peice of $@&T at E3, laughed right in his face. Specter - dont EVEN get me started about him. Thief 3? holy F^%$ what a piece... and now to rape the series its like indiana jones crystal skull time... F-THAT!!! what you guys have done here is amazing, its a true tribute to what/where this seris should have gone. I was there at the begining of real game companies, I knew/know the players. to watch the industry over the years become what it has and crap such utter CR@# down our thraots over and over and people ask for more and more.... as it is now I havent bought a game on release day for many years all becouse I know 99% of them are barley worth the bargin bin price theyll be in in 6 months. so much hype to capture money on release becouse they know in three weeks theyll have to drop the price. I love the $59 (us) cr@& they set for us. just hold the gun to my head why dont you. Thief 4... enough, it will be pretty and CONSOLE! and mostlikely NOW 3/4 view point like modern warfare... VERY VERY VERY sad..... ill pass thank you and Warren Specter?? go F-yourself hard.... again forgive my outrage. Specter knows who I am, let him come and tell me to my face Im wrong...

I think you mean the fall of LGS (Looking Glass Studios) TTLG is the fan based forums Through the Looking Glass.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

• 2 months later...

I think the trailer is pretty cool and the music is awsome however I ask to myself... why the bow seems so automatic? I know is supose to be a stream-punk style but... wasn't this weapon normal in all other three games? Other thing that bothers me is how they will make this game. I mean will they make this 100% stealth? Or will we have skills to spend some points? Will they add more things to the thief? Here I'm talking about in TDS Guarret ability to be in the shadows and his climbing gloves, which frankly I thought be stupid.

I'm a person that like enovations and new things but in same time I would like to see old school gaming not be death. Nowadays companies tend to follow what is running around. With that philosophy we'll have not enought variarity but tedius repitation. Other aspect I don't like is the DLC busniess. I hope I'm wrong because it looks promesing but in same time I don't known... companies follow others copying it, and in the end making out excuses to their costumers.

In conclusion, this game looks good but until I see some gameplay and not a trailer I'll wait for more.

Sure, there will be DLCs, just have a look at Deus Ex 3: HR. ;-)

They releases an optionial part of the story which was actually pretty nice. (Compare it to Thief Gold if you like.)

On the other hand they also offer weapon packs which are far off, I think. They are way too strong.

• 6 months later...

So it looks like Thief 4 will finally be unveiled tomorrow. Look for it on the next Game Informer cover.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1870324&postcount=285

*ahem* What's this?? You guys are talking about Deus Ex in the Thief forums?? This won't do. Not at all. I'm gonna have to do something about this..... Something drastic. Let's reconvene tomorrow.

Set your watches, taffers.

YAY!

it'll be a cinematic trailer with no gameplay, but at least it'll tell us if they fucked up the atmosphere or did something drastically retarded like sniper rifles. I look forward to confirming Stephen Russell and Garrett, but I don't expect much else.

Guessing form the pictures it seems that they extented the steampunk elements quite a lot. If the gameplay stays the same and the difficulty isn't pushed towards casual too far, I don't mind that. Let's see what expects us at the end of the year (if they are keeping with the deadline).

I just hope the don't use steam, as I boykott online-activation stuff (would be another game I don't play because of that :unsure: )

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

How much of that is in-game and how much is concept art? Seems to be a mix of both.

There's at least a couple of concept shots in there but I'd say that we have game-play or at least a target render in over half of those shots.

I was tempted to believe that someone with Dishonored and Photoshop was pulling off a hoax.

Looks much more promising than the (infamous) blurry leaked shots from earlier.

Still... is the mechanic of going into first person mode via a "stealth button" still on the table? I hope not...

Seems like this will be an early Next-Gen release because it could be done on the current generation from

what I can tell.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Wow, sounds about what I expected:

"A dark tint cloaks the edges of the screen, signifying that Garrett is safely hidden from the guard’s view."

So no judge of how lit you are, just the computer telling you when you're "safe".

A general navigation beacon directs Garrett to where to go

Gag.

"Garrett isn't a fighter. He’s capable in a scrap, but engaging four or more guards in open combat is near suicide."

It takes FOUR guards to be "near suicide"??

"Focus combat moves"

'Nough said.

Focus lights up the screen and highlights pipes you can climb + candles you can put out to make the room darker

- Can upgrade Focus

- Doing so will give you a bigger radius of things to see

- Fingerpints system: gives you hints on which drawers are best to look in

Which explains the screenshot of the desk with the atomic blue glow on the drawers, I suppose.

No more water arrows either...now there are "dry ice" arrows to put out lights, and a "claw" to replace rope arrows.

Interesting...sounds like TDM is going to be more Thief-like than the new Thief, even without Garrett. Wonder how people will react to that.

• Like 1

I'm not even going to play this, but it seems to be that making the 'rope arrow' be a binary (is there or not) resource bodes bad things for open ended levels. Remember in thief and TDM how you needed at least two rope arrows to get everywhere, often more? Well, this means that they just gave up on either not recovering the hook in all situations (likely and utterly boring), or even worse, no situations where you'd need to reuse it to get further.

Edited by i30817

Wow, sounds about what I expected:

Whoa. That reads like something deliberately made up to troll TTLG. :o Are we sure it's legit?

Interesting...sounds like TDM is going to be more Thief-like than the new Thief, even without Garrett. Wonder how people will react to that.

Will they know about us? :unsure:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I'm not sure how to feel about this other than that I get this sinking feeling that things like rope arrows, climbing gloves, stealth ko's/kills, are going to be heavily contextual, and QTE "press the button(s) when standing in just the right spot"-ish.

That grappling looking thing seems to me to be the new "rope arrow". It looks like its a hook attached to a short piece of rope, effectively limiting the height to which you can attach to things, and probably the type of things to which the hook will attach. meh.

Whoa. That reads like something deliberately made up to troll TTLG. :o Are we sure it's legit?

It's from multiple sources. Here's a summary: http://gamingeveryth...-game-informer/

Will they know about us?

I was thinking more about the TTLG don't-like-TDM-because-it-doesn't-have-Garrett crowd.