The Dark Mod Forums

Fresh Thief 4 cinematic

Outlooker

Well, here is this scan, which confirms Springheel's points and then some. I liked this quote:

Eidos-Montreal has modelled these stylish Focus maneuvers after the boxing scenes from Guy Ritchie's recent Sherlock Holmes films.

I watched the first film from that series, and it's a solid 6/10. It's not The Third Man (which is crappy, outdated B&W and has no slo-mo), but it's good fun. What to say? Thief 4 not be a bad game in its own right.

But! I will say one thing: Thief's user interface was simple, intuitive and very, very unintrusive. Just the light gem and a few small icons, and the rest was the game world, no embellishments, overlays and extra screens required. 15 years later, nobody at Eidos has the vision to make a game like that. And that is a pity.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Great, another reboot. I don't want to (and can't) judge the game but I do not need a reimagining of something that was already great. I would much prefer something fresh instead of a different (probably worse) version of Garrett or the city.

I was thinking more about the TTLG don't-like-TDM-because-it-doesn't-have-Garrett crowd.

Those people are probably happy with NewDark (so am I, but for different reasons).

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Indeed the art directions and story / state of the city background heavily remind of Dishonered. Though this might be coinidence. Both have been in production at the same time over a lage part of the former years. Maybe Dishonered just beat Thief.

I don't hold my breath. Background sound very unoriginell and boring so far. Statements like 'allowing players to enter combat if they want" and "combat moves" mean fighting is more than a last resort option. And killing your way through the city a possible part of the gamplay like in Dishonered. I don't like combat be equal to stealth from gameplay design in a Thief game. For making this not a pure stealth game me and old day taffers hope for, but only another ACTION 'stealth' game. Just like the other more or less enjoyable hybrid stealth action games around these days. Hope Eidos / Square Enix do prove me wrong!

This sound bad as well:

"Garrett will have a multifaceted and upgradable "Focus" ability to highlight climbing spots or drawers that hold valuables, or in combat to find weak points or chain attacks"

http://www.shacknews...ed-for-next-gen

Highlight Handholding? uhh! ... Upgrades? hmmm... Slow time ?? ... Navigation beacons?? pfhh....

Things worse than loot glint and glimbing gloves if you ask me.

At least the 3rd person nonsense seam to be gone for good:

"In this first-person adventure ..."

http://community.eid...rom-the-Shadows

Edited by fllood

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

Focus will show a number of attack points on enemies...Can also string together a number of points to perform a more debilitating attack

Oh good; that's what was always missing from Thief...combo attack moves!

Interestingly, I don't see a dagger or sword in any of the screenshots, and it's not mentioned in the equipment list...is Garrett a martial artist now?

No, he has a shotgun. :laugh:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

sounds a lot like dishonored but playing as a thief instead of someone in the wrong place at the wrong time, there wont be any magic cause it was distroyed at the end of thief 3.

the dark mod was mentioned on the thief 4 forum as something to play while waiting for thief 4, it was in an official eidos moderator post. i can't find it now.

I've noticed they've ditched the thi4f logo, and its now just 'thief' on the official forum.

sounds a lot like dishonored but playing as a thief instead of someone in the wrong place at the wrong time, there wont be any magic cause it was distroyed at the end of thief 3.

There's still some magic; they talk about hidden symbols (runes?) and some spinning, glowing orb.

I bet the crystal arrows are gone though.

"Using a chain attack, Garrett grabs the guard's arm, jerks it back behind his shoulder, and then plants a heel against the guard's knee. Bones snap with a sickening crack...Eidos Montreal has modeled these stylish Focus maneuvers after the boxing scenes from Guy Ritchie's recent Sherlock Holmes films."

Cool. :rolleyes: Awesome "stylish" finishing moves. I wonder if you can rip out their spines?

They really seem to have a good handle on what stealth games are all about:

"Ten to fifteen years ago you'd have to watch the guards patrol and wait for a moment to move. If the guards saw you, it wasn't game over, but you might as well have pressed the reset button."

That last quote was misquoted, by the way.

Pardon? It's direct from the article.

Well you guys have nicely summarized some unfortunate compromises the game will have, that I think will work exactly as you've predicted. Hopefully focus & objective-arrows are optional (a la Dishonored). I think it will be a nicely realized world, and have its own polished gameplay in its own way. I hope it brings a wave of people to Dark Mod & NewDark to build, since I don't expect it will have an editor, but people may be inspired by it to want to make stealth levels. Some of the scenes may be inspiration for our own building too. Dishonored was for me anyway.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

It certainly does look beautiful. I'm going to try thinking of it like Dishonored; a cool, fun game with stealth elements that might revive interest in the genre, but nothing more than that.

• Like 1

With a release planned for 2014, I'd say there's hope the game will change for the better, because in its current state several things can be easily changed to make this game a reality that will both please fans of the franchise and new players. Still, this rarely happens, sadly.

I fairly doubt that after several years of development the game is still in a state, where basic gameplay mechanisms can be changed easely. Anyways, I don't have a problem with the new more steampunkish setting. In addition, having new tools instead of the old ones isn't a big problem for me either. Changing things does not neccessarely mean that it is bad.

But what I don't want are finishing moves or quick-time events.

But I guess the good old days where games tend to be challenging seems long gone. -_- Let's see what awaits us there. :mellow:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

skacky: I'd expect most design decisions like that to be locked down completely by the time articles like this appear. They may still add some polish here and there, readjust the user interface like they did in DX:Human Resources, but the fundamentals will be rock solid. I also don't think they are looking at the hardcore fans of the series as their primary market. Even TDS was ten years ago.

Of course, as DX:HR shows, the studio is capable of making a good game... so who knows? They might just do that with this one, even if it isn't our Thief.

Series reboot means they are not continuing the story after the end of TDS. They are starting the story over with a new one. It means the Garrett they use may not be the one we recognize (in name only, but a different back story), if it's Garrett at all (did the article confirm it?). It means it will probably not be a remake of Thief 1 (then they'd use the term "remake"), but a completely new story for a new series, but in the same City & world.

Comics are known for reboots. The Christian Bale Batman movies were a reboot of the 1990s Batman movies; the Joker is alive again, etc ... but Batman & Superman have been rebooted so many times, every 10 years a new story from the start.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

They have confirmed Garrett, though nothing about Stephen Russel voicing him, which I find odd.

He still has the scar from TDS, and looks like he still has a mechanical eye as well in the screenshots.

They have confirmed Garrett, though nothing about Stephen Russel voicing him, which I find odd.

He still has the scar from TDS, and looks like he still has a mechanical eye as well in the screenshots.

I guess it'd only make sense to keep all those characteristics if they're really gonna have Garrett. But if there's no Stephen, there won't be a Garrett... :(