The Dark Mod Forums

Fresh Thief 4 cinematic

Outlooker

They should make a game with Benny as the main character! How cool would that be?

Objective: "Huzz? Drunk agin. Keep them taffers from robbing the manor."

*Thud*

*Objective failed!*

A nice counter maneuver for all this easy-oh-so-easy casual gaming everything is nowadays. Space Hulk -class difficulty or NOTHING!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Interesting review of the news: http://themasterfoun...om/archives/831

Hadn't heard this yet:

Perhaps the scariest bit of info however comes in the form of a quote from Stephane Roy, the producer of Thief himself, stating that “We want you to play as a thief, but we don’t want to force you to play as a thief”.

Sounds like the TDS City hub is back too.

Interesting review of the news: http://themasterfoun...om/archives/831

Hadn't heard this yet:

Sounds like the TDS City hub is back too.

Thank you for sharing it Springheel. That quote is really what worries me most. Hey, would a kickstarter funded Thief sequel made by those responsible for The Dark Mod and the numerous wonderful FM artists of previous games ever be a possibility? Because I would support that in a heartbeat.

I really liked the idea of city sections in TDS, but the execution was piss-poor, like a lot of things in the game. The engine they're using is powerful and capable of doing wonderful things, so there's hope these sections will at least be decent and better than those in TDS. If not, well...

Edited by skacky

Thank you for sharing it Springheel. That quote is really what worries me most. Hey, would a kickstarter funded Thief sequel made by those responsible for The Dark Mod and the numerous wonderful FM artists of previous games ever be a possibility? Because I would support that in a heartbeat.

Getting money support for doing TDM stuff? I'm in! ^_^

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

It's a fun idea for people to contribute money & feel happy being part of the action, but the topic has come up before and general consensus is it'd be unworkable (who would get what) and might even poison the water (people that receive feel unduly inflated, and people that don't feel unduly deflated) ... It'd be unfair one way or another. And not even really help the campaign cause.

But if people really want to contribute, make a texture, or a replacement sound folio that we really need, or even some fan art or fan fics if you're not technically inclined. That would mean a lot more & be better received I think.

• Like 4

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Experimentation with assassins creed third person

I love that they spent years almost just thinking about the project, pre production time is one of the best ways to ensure quality. But the fact that they even considered assassins creed third person style is... no. No. If they needed 3 years to come to that decision I want this pre production to be extended for a decade.

I really liked the idea of city sections in TDS, but the execution was piss-poor, like a lot of things in the game. The engine they're using is powerful and capable of doing wonderful things, so there's hope these sections will at least be decent and better than those in TDS. If not, well...

Me too, the city hub is fine with me. T3 probably could have pulled it off better but it's a nice idea. It's that 'time off between jobs'. It's actually an idea I was working on for a t2 campaign thing that never quite came to be. If done right I think it could make for a great campaign.

Typical campaigns feel a bit linear, due to being locked into one mission area at a time. This helps break that and make you feel like you are working a large surrounding area instead of going on a quest.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Thief productions seem to be cursed. So the game was in the works a year or two before the 2009 announcement and has been simmering for around 5 years? I find it rather alarming that it has taken them so long to figure out how to make a Thief game work. Had there been any clear intent to make a real Thief game, they wouldn't have need to experiment with Assassin's Creed style gameplay, or whatever else they toyed with.

From what they've shown us and what they've said in the articles, I don't get a good feeling about the game. All the tough talk about 'the DNA' of the game doesn't really mean anything...and the comment one of the producers made about other stealth games being 'pretenders' is pretty bold considering they're a new team themselves. Who are they to validate their interpretation of Thief as any less of a pretender or derivation than the others? Tough talk, all tough talk. Drives me crazy.

• Like 1

Yes, the thing that shines through the usual designer talk is a profound lack of visionary thinking.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

It says in one news item that garrett returns to the city after being away for several years, and the city is now totally controled by a baron. In the original storyline the city was under seige by a guy called blackthorn (t1, t2), which never got resolved in TDS (i think one person mentions the war in the first city hub.) The problems with the city hubs in TDS was that you could walk around a building in less than a minute but when in the building it was spread over 2 or 3 maps. The other thing about TDS was that we were originally told if you didn't clear out the loot from a building that was spread out over two of three maps that you could then return to it later on to get the remaining loot, accessing these old map locations via the city hub, then when the game came out you found out you couldn't.

I've noticed in farcry 3 and skyrim that you can get to some locations that are part of the main storyline before you have reached the area in the storyline, but in farcry 3 the AI in those locations don't exist until the storyline gets triggered, and in skyrim you usually need a key to get further or an access bridge or control lever is missing or not useable. But you can return back to these location in skyrim after you have unlocked them, there's only a few where you cant return.

Edited by stumpy

Blackbrook. We have always been at war with Blackbrook.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

it was someone begining with the name black that they were at war with, its mentioned in the first game, before the gold version came out, and in the second game on the streets during the map where he meets someone in a bar and gets jumped by a bunch of guards. there's two people in the street behind the bar that sometimes talk about the war. It was also mentioned in an interview with ionstorm that they were going to flesh out the war/seige bit, but it got dropped from TDS. Like there's was going to be a mission to sneak into the enemy camp and nick their war plans. But I think it got dropped due to the engine they used, unreal 2.5 couldn't handle wide open areas.

The campaign I wrote out for dark mod is about Bridgeport's (well, the Empire's) off-again on-again war with the Menoans. I'll be curious how similar it turns out to T4.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I'm cool about the whole thing. T1 is my favourite game of all time but I'd be completely crazy to expect a game dev to try and create something like this today. I'm not going to be suprised if Mr. G can punch or kick and can use Keeper magical powers. Dishonored has proved that you can make a game for todays gamers and provide a core stealth element. I completed dishonored in my second playthrough on the hardest setting without using any weopons, magic or killing anyone. It was great! If I want my old school Thief fix I've got the FMs over at TTLG that seem to be in no danger of stopping. In fact there seems to be a lot more coming out since the 1.19 patch.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Clicks because of Thief. Sees Assassin's Creed. Cries and leaves.

+100 :unsure:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Hopefully we'll hear more of this over the next year:

The new leaked images of Thief inspired me to play the Dark Mod. An awesome mod of Doom 3 that I recommend to anyone.
  • Like 1

Well in my opinion, almost everyone here will buy and play this new game of the Thief Series, why..because we all love the thief games. The new engine with new graphics "candy eye" animations... better models...etc..will push us to buy it and play it. But theres a problem here, stealth..made for Consoles and no sdk..and that will make the new Thief game just another game with cheats to finish as quik as possible. Im an old player that appreciate the old school style of thief game play....but how many new players like it??? The Dishonored game its realy an encarnation of thief games, but do i realy wanna teleported behind my enemies, dont think so....

Well in my opinion, almost everyone here will buy and play this new game of the Thief Series, why..because we all love the thief games.

I'll buy it if it ends up actually being a good Thief game. Looking at what they've released so far, it doesn't really embrace what Thief did so well. The devs have so much pressure to make the next Assassin's Creed or some such blockbuster that they had to jettison a hell of a lot just to make the game mainstream. Not for me...unless it somehow ends up being more Thief than the originals in some weird, universe collapsing, way.