The Dark Mod Forums

Fresh Thief 4 cinematic

Outlooker

I'm the one who wrote that. Nice to meet you guys in this shadowy corner of the internet. I'm reading the A - Z Beginner guide to get the hang of the darkradiant editor and start doing my own fan missions too.

That's great to hear! Welcome to the dark side. :ph34r:

We're all here to help if you have any questions.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I'm the one who wrote that. Nice to meet you guys in this shadowy corner of the internet. I'm reading the A - Z Beginner guide to get the hang of the darkradiant editor and start doing my own fan missions too.

Welcome to the forums! I hope we will see screenshots from your mission soon. :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

We're definitely getting a lot of positive blow-back from the Thief news:

After reading the front page post about the upcoming Thief game, and then reading more about it in the newest Game Informer, I started getting the itch for this game again. I remember back a few years ago there was a mod team working on a Thief mod for Doom 3. It was a VERY slow process and admittedly, I was a little impatient at times. I kind of forgot about it and went on to other things. Well I checked into it again and the mod is pretty much done! Best of all, it looks and plays great!

(I chuckled at the "pretty much done" part)

• Like 4

What worries me most about Thief 4 is that in the time thi4f (rellay? That is what you named it?) was in the making, Dishonored was concepted, created, sold and probably gets a sequel. I haven't played it, but it sounds like a lot of fun, is novel, and has no real downsides so far I can see. Dishonored isn't Thief, but it comes close and still stands on its own. Now compare this with Thief 4, which is, well Thi4f and nothing else really....

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

* Area has rich patrons, scantily clad women who saunter by and flirt with me

* Xiao Xiao, a transvestite, greets guests

* Garrett dumps the house’s stock of opium into vents and cracks open the flue

Erm, this does not sound or feel like the "british" or "steam punk" or "medivial" setting I know from the Thief games. But maybe I remember it all wrong, and scantily clad girls, transvestites and opium have been part of the universe since the dawn of the keeper brothels....

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Why do you think having a long developement time is bad?

It wasn't a long development time, but a long "pre-planning phase". E.g. "long development" is when you have a plan, and it takes longer to acomplish due to having a lot of work, or difficulties. (Edit: See: TDM basically defines "long-development". TDM is actually quite beautifully executed in that regard - sure, it took long, but looking back one can see that it never really far strayed from the path, but still advanced with every year, and still was on track. End of edit.)

A long "pre-planning" phase just means the guys come up with new ideas faster than someone can write them down and the designer can throw them out as unworkable, laughable, or both. In case of the Thief franchise, you don't have to pre-plan the game mechanics, the core design, the setting or universe. The only stuff that should be "new" is the story, the development of the characters, the artwork, mission designs etc. But it looked like they wanted to "invent" something new. (It is esp. laughable if they got inspired by Dishonored, because shouldn't Thi4f have been done before Dishonroed even started?)

This all smells like Daikatane and Duke Nukem Forever - they "plan" for such a long time that the plan is obsolete before they even started working. Plus all the changes for the changes sake ("dry-ice arrows"? really?), this will not sit well with the fans. And to capture any new gamers, well, there are tons of games out there that try to do that already, and I'm not sure Thi4f brings anything to the table that will "wow" anyone. It sounds like any of the other ton of "stealth action" games already out there. So it is neither true to the original, nor really that much better/new/other. Oh well.

Maybe because of "It sounds like any of the other ton of 'stealth action' games already out there" they still search for the right way to go :)

The thing is.. I have seen very well done game sequels (like the Anno series - especially Anno 1404) and seen very bad ones (like Dungeon Siege 3). They both had massive advertisements and mysterious trailers in the beginning, but both came to totally different results. You never know what awaits you in the beginning, but you'll find out in the end. So let's play TDM until 2014 and then we'll see what we play next ;)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Hi all!

Couldn't find an introduction thread, so guess I'd just say hi here, since, after all, it was the new Thief that got me interested again :)

I've downloaded some missions and booted up the editor - Really cool mod!!! Holey moley. Now I just haaave to make a map too ... consider it on my bucket list :P (My one-room-map probably isn't going to cut it ...)

Awesome to see such an active community and high quality output! *Jumps up and down like a child, waving arms violently*

• Like 3

Yeah, really helpful documentation - thus my "room of doom" map was born! :D Thanks!

It might sound weird, but I guess I could get use to it haha.

Might take some time to figure out how to get around all the available resources to put in a map. Ah, if only I was young again and would have way more time / energy than I would know what to do with ;) (well, I would know now!)

Edited by GodIsWatchingYou

Welcome, oh ever watching one! :)

I died a little on the inside reading those quotes from the devs. They have no idea what made the Thief games so loved and they will continue to destroy the franchise.

Thank god TDM and NewDark are here to keep us going.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

It would appear that Thief 4, like ALL new games, is being made for multiplayer, console use. Will lots of social interaction via "your Steam" account.And will run nicely on your mobile.

Expect scantily clothed, big silicon filled titty, girlfriends with Angelina lips, Rapid fire bows with laser accuracy, ninja grappling hooks and a GPS cellphone for mapping and chats to to his fence.

This is what I was thinking when I watched the topdogs at Eidos being interviewed and one said something like; " ..we want to please the old fans but make it for the new gamers" by new gamers I envision the new crop of 13 - 19 age group.

As far as I'm concerned The Dark Mod and new/redone fan missions ARE Thief 4

Eidos is not naming it anything other than Thief

... oh and his outfit was designed especially for Garrett by a top fashion design house in New York... imagine that.

Looking at the picture Outlooker posted again, I must say it reminds me somehow of Darth Vader. Does he have a laser sword?

Btw.: I'm not a hundred percent sure that the things they do to attract "new gamers" will really be attractive to new gamers, thus meaning young persons. I can remember that when I was young games where harder either, but I liked them because they were hard and although I were young. It seems like todays dev's are just a collection of elite high school graduis that have never played a video game in there life, who knew.

Oh, and three words: "Sniper's last standing" (reload, reload, reload ... but entertaining anyways)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

There was a time when I'd expect to at least be a little anxious about something like this, but I've grown so accustomed to seeing sequels to my favorite games being retrofitted for mass market appeal that I no longer even bother. Of course once in a while something good does come along, but the risk of actually anticipating anything is too high.

... oh and his outfit was designed especially for Garrett by a top fashion design house in New York... imagine that.

Your hair is amazing! Please be my king!

I suppose the guards wont be wandering along going "what that smell, smell's like old meat, can't be me I had a bath a week ago."

That must be the promised bow upgrade in the picture of someone who supposily never seen and a bow.

Edited by stumpy

I really like the idea of presenting the bow and the clothes in real life this way. I could not imagine this for T1,2 or TDS back then. It's a nice idea and a big effort!

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I really like the idea of presenting the bow and the clothes in real life this way. I could not imagine this for T1,2 or TDS back then. It's a nice idea and a big effort!

It's a classic case of throwing money at something to make it more appealing. I'd be willing to bet there are entire worth-while indie games produced on the same budget as the suit and bow by themselves. If Thief is broken, some neat trinkets aren't going to fix it.

I want a garrett action-figur :smile: (by Mattel, maybe a Garrett to bow transformer)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter