The Dark Mod Forums

Fresh Thief 4 cinematic

Outlooker

The synchro was very cool, and I was extremely sad that the third part was only available in english.

Anyways, I don't care much about this, as I hope for translation.

Same here for me! I hated reading the subtitles in Thief 3 to understand what's going on but not beeing able to look at the movie and its drawings and animations at the same time. Gosh - they NEED to do a translation for Thief 4 again!

Our first speaker was this young man here:

http://youtu.be/QE78uMNrklI

The second one this black man:

http://youtu.be/4HzmkvfWVs4

And the one for Thief 3 was Stephen Russel. :)

So I don't care, but I want them to talk in german to me :P

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Are you sure about the first one? He sounds completely different.

The second one (the synchro of Wesley Snipes) seem to fit. Funny, I never thought about that possibility. :laugh:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Look, someone fixed it.

And that's the difference good, distinctive sound design makes.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Are you sure about the first one? He sounds completely different.

I couldn't say for sure but I think that's the guy.

The german version of the first two Thief games was very good. I didn't play the originals until much later so I can live with another voice actor (as long as he's good). But in my opinion they shouldn't use Garrett at all and just introduce a new protagonist.

They say that the engine will be or is the unreal 3..4!!! and thats good for modders. If people can mod the game that will be great or not.

And one of the reasons i try to get out of thief lore games its just because this is not a thief official game. Give me 1 year and i make visual better looking maps as we see in that screenshots. But if they release a sdk fort that game, im afraid many will left to the new game.

Edited by Capela

Probably less good than people might expect. Games and game editors today involve a lot of middleware, which introduces severe legal complications. And making missions in new engines (which typically use models made in an external editor almost exclusively) is a lot harder than in BSP-based editors.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I don't know why it would be any harder. You're just importing in the models and placing them. It'd be harder to make new models, sure. But if the editor already comes with a vast store of models already made for the game's own levels, then I think you could go pretty far with just them for FMs. As I understand it, they're still just mostly architectural features, borders and pillars and such, so there's still room for variety...

Edit: I mean when I was playing Dishonored (which Digi confirmed to me in a chat was, like you say, almost totally models over a BSP base), I was really thinking about how fun it would be to build with those assets, and I imagine the same will be true for T4.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Yep - I am (and wikipedia too) :)

Scroll down a bit on:

http://de.wikipedia....Andreas_Brucker

If wikipedia is, ... :P (Don't worry, I believe you - for now :ph34r: )

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

So there has been a demo for journalists. The results don't fill me with confidence.

From the Rock, Paper, Shotgun article:

"Thief’s greatest crime could be that it does not ‘borrow’ enough from its predecessors,"

"it’s disappointing to hear that the peculiar linguistic traits of The City have become a thing of the past"

"the slang and accents that ran through The City as strongly as mortar and water are perhaps being dismissed as something allusive and on the level of footnote or in-joke"

"The Focus ability may cause purists to squirm (I am one and I did)"

"Plucking the rings from somebody’s ears is preposterously silly"

"Even if he is capable of slaughtering every guard in a level"

"The weirdness, that not-quite steampunk ahistorical off-kilter sensibility, was lacking."

"Garrett spends more time climbing than he has previously, which leads to the already-maligned third-person viewpoint when he attaches to a wall."

"Garrett’s newfound agility and his collapsible bow ... will make him a less subtle knife in the dark at times,"

" But that ‘if’ is very important. It’s possible to play a game for an hour or two and to seize, or be offered, the wrong end of various sticks, and while I feel much more optimistic about this reboot than I did before seeing it in action, that’s all that has happened."

So after seeing the best the development team has to offer over the course of any hour, he basically seems to be saying that he feels cautiously optimistic. The technology is awesome, and the gameplay might actually not be quite as bad as we feared. I had hoped for a bit more.

And the "Game On" article is even worse:

That’s the basis of stealth in the new Thief, and while it cleaves to the gameplay mechanics of the original games it also seems to rely heavily on dumb enemy AI.

Perhaps the coolest part of the demo was when Garrett went into a full sprint to reach his destination in time: the sprint morphed into a parkour sequence of sorts that was extremely reminiscent of Mirror’s Edge.

For now, color me skeptical on whether Thief 4 can retain and improve upon what made the series important in the first place.

• Like 1

I can't say anything without playing it but things are definitely not looking good. If I had to bet, I'd say that if thief ever makes a worthy come back it's not going to be thief 4, thi4f or whatever they're calling this. They clearly have no faith in the original design.

Come to think of it, the same thing happened to Sonic! They tried and tried and tried to remake it but they just didn't have faith in 2d platform. Only now they seem to understand that 2d platform is not a design based on technological limitation, it's actually fun!

I am starting to be on the platform that this will be a fun, enjoyable, although forgettable game as long as I don't treat it as a Thief sequel. Which works for me since I've already got TDM and NewDark.

a fun, enjoyable, although forgettable game as long as I don't treat it as a Thief sequel. Which works for me since I've already got TDM and NewDark.

Yup, I think thats how most people are seeing this and that thief as we know it died with version 3. This "game" will be just another game that might sound and look "a bit like the old thief games. eidos will be consigned to the same trash can like so many other publishers.

Version two, more like. ;)

Sorry if I dont share the same pessimism as most of you do. Reading both artcles on German games websites (Golem.de and 4players.de), I feel that the new Thief game will be in line with the recent reboots of DX:HR and Tombraider. Those games were dumbed down, yes, and their gameplay was "streamlined" a lot to make it more accessible for the current ADHS Call of Duty generation, but you must admit that it is possible to ghost in DX:HR, and it is possible to not play TR as a duck'n'cover shooter.

I am quite optimistic that Thief's developers will offer us ways to play the game the old way, to ghost the levels without ever raising an alarm. At the same time, they will offer a wealth of options to make gameplay appeal to the current generation of players - to instakill, to chain-kill, to massacre your way through the map, to flow from shadow to shadow without any effort whatsoever. You don't need to like this, but you also don't need to hate it as long as you have the choice to play Thief the old hardcore way.

That's my 2 cents.

• Like 1

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I've seen that 404 page before. Good times.

This is literally how a bunch of dudebro game "journalists" see the original Thief. Watch this and despair. I don't know which is more nauseating/creepy, the complate refusal to engage a game on its own terms, or the way it is obvious these people are paid whores whose job is to interject with quips like "the new Thief will be awesome" and "yeah, really looking forward to the new, updated Thief".

At the same time, they will offer a wealth of options to make gameplay appeal to the current generation of players - to instakill, to chain-kill, to massacre your way through the map, to flow from shadow to shadow without any effort whatsoever. You don't need to like this, but you also don't need to hate it as long as you have the choice to play Thief the old hardcore way.

To me that's the equivelant of saying that you don't need to hate Phantom Menace; just close your eyes and skip through whenever Jar-Jar Binks is on screen. Or Jake Lloyd. Or the "naked" C3P0. Or...wait, what was my point again?

I'm sure I'll enjoy T4 the same way I enjoyed TDS and the Star Wars prequels...there were cool new things and things that made me cringe, and I had to spend varying degrees of energy to keep them from spoiling the memory of earlier versions.

As for rope arrows, didn't they say he had a "grapping hook" callled "the claw"? Are there two different rope-climbing tools? Or are rope arrows now bow-fired grappling hooks (which would actually be cool).