The Dark Mod Forums

Fresh Thief 4 cinematic

Outlooker

Oh now I understand! Thanx you two! I guess that is something I rarely think of. Time is important, yes. But I don't calculate it on playing computer games ^^

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

and garrett's being voiced by a different person. and there's no water arrows, or rope arrows.

originally it wasn't a stealth game, a demo video of someone with a bow and arrows running around what later became bafford's castle, shooting guards with it is what surfaced first.

Edited by stumpy

They replaced them with some sort of CO2-arrows or so. So they are there regarding their functionality, but they are called different now. :blink: (Die Rede war von Trockeneispfeilen).

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

There's still a lot of confusion over whether water and rope arrows are there or not. Some reviewers saw that the "Claw" is replacing rope arrows, and others say rope arrows are in. It's hard to know for sure.

Yeah, that's true. Actually I wouldn't mind if they would change the set of tools available to the player. But replacing an old item with a new one that does exactly the same but has a new name just because it's cool or whatever ... I guess that's what's meant by "more appealing to a broader audiance".

Lest we forget, T2X had a "wind arrow" that blew out torches as well.

It was admittedly kind of cool looking, I mean the particle effect it used.

So the "dry ice" arrow isn't even all that unprecedented.

(T2X also had ice arrows that froze water for that matter. And a few other interesting new arrows IIRC.)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

i was wondering if you can kill people with the dry ice arrows, as it would place a pocket of co2 around the person being shot with it.

I wonder if they've been weird and filled the arrow head canisters up with liquid co2, because when released it would turn to dry ice then the gas.

or they've got dirigeble's filled with co2 gas, floating high in the sky.

• 2 weeks later...

Our lockpicking system is getting a lot of love over on TTLG:

also TDM lockpicking is the best lockpicking, but I would imagine we will get something a bit easier to get the hang of (no offense TDM, it's a great system once you get used to it, but it confused me for a good ten minutes and I don't think I'm alone).

Look at TDM - that has a great system. IMHO its far far superior to the system in any Thief game, and hats off to whoever came up with it. Now THAT is an example of a very well thought out functional system.

I like the TDM lockpicking system too.

TDM system is innovative, that's for sure. And pretty logical, too.

TDM points the way to many things. Again, great job Broken Glass!
  • Like 1

Let's hope DarkRadiant will get it, too. Wanna play new missions :smile:

It's a lot better that way, but I still don't like the "sucking into place" part.

It's a lot better that way, but I still don't like the "sucking into place" part.

Yeah, if the sucking in script and the hand animations could be disabled, while still allowing the player to use their mouse to pick the lock using sound and watching the latch...that would be pretty cool. I never did try to accomplish that back in the day.

Realistically you would kinda "lock on" the lock like in Thief 3, means being really close to the lock facing it, but realistically you could rotate around the lock with the strafe keys until you hit a physical barrier, like bumping into the wall with your shoulder, so that you'd basically look parallel to the door, still facing the lock close on. Then you could still look around with your free head turn like in Thief 3, but unlike Thief 3 could look away from the door because of the repositioning and basically cover any angle.

Thief 3 has a more realistic representation of lockpicking in general (very close to the lock, can look around), but Thief 1,2,TDM allow you to reposition yourself. A perfect system would combine both. The inability to look around without to stop the process was always my biggest gripe with old Thief and TDM. Also in Thief you could pick the lock from a weird angle and from too far away. TDM limits the range, but still has the inability to turn around.

I think the idea of beeing sucked in front of the lock was a pretty good one in TDS. Beneath he fact that it appears quite more realistic then the classic thief approach, it also limited the player to what he hears. This always gave me that special feeling when locking a pick.

The only downside was that the locks were far too easy to pick even towards the end. Anyways, I think the TDM system is pretty good, too. (And the frob distances can be manipulated to achieve a similar effect as in TDS)

Lockpicking is tricky. Even if it's a fun mini-game, it's bound to get old pretty fast, thus increasing the difficulty would probably only make it less fun and more frustrating. So its use gets down to temporarily holding the player in dangerous areas to add tension.

TBH I'm happy there are different approaches in different games.

There doesn't necessarily have to be a perfect way for all games.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Lockpicking is tricky. Even if it's a fun mini-game, it's bound to get old pretty fast, thus increasing the difficulty would probably only make it less fun and more frustrating. So its use gets down to temporarily holding the player in dangerous areas to add tension.

I wasn't talking about making it more difficult. I just meant that the fact that you are vulnerable to the ai while lockpicking can add a lot to tension.

"conflicting creative visions"

That makes me think a few things. I believe this comes from a fundamental organisation problem in the game industry: there is no "director", someone to have the final word and maintain the design consistent. I also think that it won't be like this forever and, when that gets solved, indy games will become very much like independent films are today: slightly more obscure, a thing for cinephiles mainly.

I haven't been paying much attention until now, but their excuse for not using Stephen Russell was that the actor needed to do their own stunts!?!? That is wrong on so many levels. "Well, we would have used Sean Connery for Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, but we wanted an actor who could do their own stunts, so we used Keanu Reeves as Indy's father instead." Also, how often do real people talk during activities that would be considered stunts? "That was a good parkour-chat we had this morning, Garrett." Also, some stuff might be FMV, but aren't a lot of these stunts going to be mocapped, where it's trivial to dub in a voice and facial animation channel? Aren't voice actors pretty well trained to make it sound like they're doing stuff that they're not actually doing? "I'm sorry, but you're just not what we're looking for in a voice actor. We need someone who actually is climbing up a giant robot while fighting off a dragon."

So many levels of wrong.