The Dark Mod Forums

Futuristic Map

Dram

Ok ppl. I made this map 2 days ago and spent 4 hours doing it. I was trying to test if the Doom3 engine can stand huge outdoor maps, and this one proved to do just that ;) . I had framerate probs at first, but they're fixed now (the emitters were stuffing it - the blue zappy shit).

Ok, here are screens of both rendered and non-rendered (the non-rendered ones are to give an idea of the size).

Ok, here we go:

post-19-1109325016.jpg

This bodes well for me, at least. You and I have (pound for pound) just about the same system, except mine's a p4. Maybe it's me, but I really didn't get a sense of size when I look at the screenies.

Are you being literal when you say the Citadel in HL2, and are you even talking in terms of size, or the similarity in design? I'm not being obstinate, I just want to wrap my brain around it.

Cool mesh, anyway.

See that tiny red dot on there? That's a bit bigger then the character you see in screen 3 and 4. Better idea of size?

BTW, the writting i put is crap. Basically the top one says: "this is how big a person is" and the other one says: "this is the base"

EDIT: BTW, the roof is 1.5 times as tall as the tower and thw base size is 2 of the towers by 2 of the towers (map size that is)

Edited by Dram

Sorry for the stupid question, but thank you for answering. I think my brain had a hard time wrapping around it because it's a whole lot of real-time lighting real estate for modest frames. Granted, there isn't much else going on (like AI's, objects, etc) but it sounds to me, the engine just keeps on giving.

Of course I'm the idiot who didn't realize you were demonstrating the size of your map in the title of your thread...

:lol:

I also realised, after futher inspection, that the problem wasn't your presentation, but the fact that I have to reduce my screen resolution. I didn't even realise until after you said "the little red dot" that you had a little red man in picture 4. My bad.

Anyway, this bodes well for FM makers. It's friggin' huge. Nice word Dram.

Edited by Hylix Ulyx

Thanks man, ;)

Glad you like it. LOL, I should've made it more apparent lol. Yeah, when I look at 1 and 2, it looks tiny (cos the walls of the map look like a tiny wall, when in fact its just the texture stretched once accross the whole wall lol.

Anyway, back to Thief maps ;)

Oh yeah, one more thing. It's a damn bitch to try and scroll accross the map in the render view (dunno how to speed upthe movement lol) and let me tell you, that it takes around 30secs to scroll right accross the map in the render view lol, it's THAT big lol. Of course, Thief maps would never have to be anywhere near as high or wide, so that makes things easy (imagine doing visportals for that thing :blink: ). But anyway, it would be interesting to make a HUGE city in this (just for a test - visportalled of course ;) ). Well, anyway ( :blink: imagine a cthedral with this size :blink: ).

--Dram

Hey Dram, that's massive !

I'm a bit confused about the different coloured screenshots, though. One looks grey, another looks blue & yellow.

:blink:

Looking at your frame-rate, I was started thinking we should aim our mod at the kinds of machines which will be common in maybe one or two years time, if we can.

lol, yeah Zach, the grey ones are without realtime dynamic lighting/bumpmapping, etc on and the blue and yellow ones do have it on.

About the machines - if anything, I'd have it properly customizable, cos the original Doom3 unfortunately was'nt that customizable. Pity. But of course was editable through console - we could do functions for that in the main menu ;) .

--Dram

note that I put the blue zappy shit back for this purpose just cos it looked good :)

EDIT: LOL, had to change the pics (accidentally put the DM hud on it :P ) - don't want to ruin the surprise ;)

post-19-1109398892.jpg

Edited by Dram