The Dark Mod Forums

New Komag Tutorial video - Visportal Basics

Komag

I made a new video tutorial introducing Visportals and some basics about how they work and how to place them, etc.

It won't be anything new to most of you authors, but for people just beginning it should make a good place to start, after which you can read up on the more complex details of how to best use them on the Wiki page:

http://wiki.thedarkm...itle=Visportals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy4FIE7BhCQ

• Like 3
shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

That's great, Komag! These kinds of vids are highly desirable and your explanations were very clear.

Very good explanation! Thank you very much, Komag! This is something very difficult to explain without a visual aid, so this will definitely help new mappers.

(You are correct in demonstrating those octagon-shaped portals. The portal face is still a convex shape, so it is a valid visportal. Theoretically, one octagon portal could also be two four-sided portals and still work the same.)

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I was surprised in the last portion of the video that the portal in question did not cause the portal behind to open. I suspect that there is a certain chain of open portals that you must be able to follow through in line of sight to get more portals behind to open.

Like, say, to open a portal 2 rooms away you must: be able to see a portal exiting your own leaf, through that same portal you must be able to see another portal in the adjacent leaf leading to yet another leaf, and then finally through that portal you must be able to see another portal exiting that current leaf. If any of that is out of order, the next available portal in line of sight will not open.

Example, in the video, the last portal in question does not exit the leaf the player is in, therefore any portals behind it will not open even if viewed through that portal. It would need to be seen through a portal exiting the players leaf.

I think I got that right, but I'm still not sure that its even readable.

That sounds about right. That last example portal in question wasn't one you could actually see through, but it was ONLY green because of being able to see into the leaves on both sides of it. So it's not the same situation as usual when a portal is green, therefore it didn't open the one behind it, as you noticed. (it opens at 12:16 when I actually move over to where I can see it)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif