The Dark Mod Forums

RPGista's mapping and modeling thread

RPGista

Yeah, I think something got messed up in converting (it was originally a blend file) - I baked a new normal map from the diffuse in Gimp and its not it, its the smoothing groups for sure, but I literally tried every variant possible within Modo (several smooth angles, splitting the model, even adding chanfers), this is a bit too much work for this one in particular, if Xcen wants to upload the corrected LWO conversion he has that would be fine, I can also send him the other textures so we can have a couple more skins for the table.

If those are .ase files, I won't be able to resize or otherwise adjust them, so someone else would have to.

Not sure if they are worth putting into the mod, but might be nice to import them for the community (they might be obj or blend files though).

I finished importing 5 new bush models, just hasn't created the alpha blend "skin" for all of them yet.

Edited by RPGista

Yeah, I think something got messed up in converting (it was originally a blend file) - I baked a new normal map from the diffuse in Gimp and its not it, its the smoothing groups for sure, but I literally tried every variant possible within Modo (several smooth angles, splitting the model, even adding chanfers), this is a bit too much work for this one in particular, if Xcen wants to upload the corrected LWO conversion he has that would be fine, I can also send him the other textures so we can have a couple more skins for the table.

Try applying/freezing transformations (scale, rotaions and translations) (might be called something else in Modo, but that is what both Blender and Maya respectively call it), I think I had a similar issue with one of my old models that got fixed by just doing that.

Bush models

shot00002aq.jpg

Bush 01 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/zx75xf

shot00004l.jpg

Bush 02 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/vx2hrd

shot000022.jpg

Bush 03 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/as47ep

shot00003yp.jpg

Bush 04 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/u6arkq

shot00005vd.jpg

Bush 05 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/ncjyzp

shot00006zpa.jpg

PS: The models include 2 skins, a "normal" one (pictured in the right on the previews) and an animated, alpha blend one (on the left). The default skin is the normal one, because it is suitable on any ambient level; you'll notice the alpha blend models glow in the darkness and even though they are smoother, should only be used in well lit areas.

PS2: I'll edit this post once I find a permanent hosting site for the files.

Forgot to add: thanks to yughues (http://opengameart.org/content/bushes) for making these available.

Edited by RPGista
  • Like 4

Do they include a low-poly LOD model? ;) Nice work!

I can host them on bloodgate.com if they don't go into the mod, anyway.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

RpGista: have you used this for the tables:

http://opengameart.org/content/mortis-and-tenon-table

?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Yep, I have also uploaded the original files here, as I was unable to solve the smoothing probelm (it seems Xcen is having success with it). There are some rock models that might be worth importing too.

Edited by RPGista

I like those bushes. I have been using treetops for dense foliage, and these should provide good alternatives/variety.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

RpGista: have you used this for the tables:

http://opengameart.o...and-tenon-table

?

looks like it

I don't want to spoil your fun, but note that you cannot import these models into TDM a their license is incompatible with TDM (TDM has a no commercial clause, this one has not). Adding these models (or similiar licensed ones) means you either:

* get permission from the original author that you can license them under our license (which is a mess, because if you create derative works, under what license are they now? the NC or the non-NC one?)

* OR explicitely spell the new license in our license FILE and then ist all art assets under which license they fall (and of course, creating derative works is a mess, if you f.i. take the texture from a non-NC work, and apply it to one of our NC models, which license does the resulting object fall under?)

Pretty sure they are free to use; here, this is (part of) the license provided with the original models:

"CC0 1.0 Universal (CC0 1.0)

Public Domain Dedication

No Copyright

This license is acceptable for Free Cultural Works

The person who associated a work with this deed has dedicated the work to the public domain by waiving all of his or her rights to the work worldwide under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights, to the extent allowed by law.

You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.

So absolutely free to use or to modify in any kind of work (personal, commercial or else) =)"

I did send him a message before working on them for courtesy, but hasnt gotten an answer yet (will alert him on the site I guess); to include them in TDM is also not really necessary if that could be problematic - if we can make all model contributions clearly available to the community. I intend on collecting all the models scattered in this thread and put them somewhere appropriate soon, so it will be easier for mappers to find them in the future. Also, thanks for the hosting offer! I'll have to upload new files though because unlike some of my previous things, I forgot to add a readme with some contextual info to identify the models if you download them from somewhere else.

Pretty sure they are free to use; here, this is (part of) the license provided with the original models:

Than this must be a different model than the one I asked about, because the webpage specifies they are under http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

But anyway, if the work is under public domain, thats better.

I am not sure what derivative works fall under, tho? Demagogue could maybe clarify. Do these fall under public domain, too (meaning we would need to specify this in our license file) or are they then under the license TDM uses?

did send him a message before working on them for courtesy, but hasnt gotten an answer yet (will alert him on the site I guess); to include them in TDM is also not really necessary if that could be problematic - if we can make all model contributions clearly available to the community. I intend on collecting all the models scattered in this thread and put them somewhere appropriate soon, so it will be easier for mappers to find them in the future. Also, thanks for the hosting offer! I'll have to upload new files though because unlike some of my previous things, I forgot to add a readme with some contextual info to identify the models if you download them from somewhere else.

Erg, posted too soon. About the hosting, I can give you a login so you can upload stuff yourself. We probably can even make some sort of "model resource". Alternatively, just (or in addition to) adding them to opengameart.org might also work?

(Oh and btw, this is great work! Don't le the license remarks distract you from that, glad to see someone doing this! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Found some more free vegetation models that I might be importing in the future, will focus on trees a bit (this one might need some more resolution to the branch textures).

saintlucia2012102813220.jpg

Edited by RPGista
  • Like 1

Eviltree is evil. (It looks quite good, and very creepy!)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

RPGista, can you plz post the picture directly in the forum? It's not accessible anymore.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.