The Dark Mod Forums

Animated 2D-Art

STiFU

I am a sucker for beautiful 2d computer graphics and that is the sole reason why I occasionally read a comic. (Yes, I am actually a little ashamed to admit that :blush: ) Recently I was wondering whether this level of quality can also be met in animated movies or TV-shows, so I did some research. I watched some episodes of "Legend of Korra" and the movie Animatrix. Both had some really cool artworks occasionally, but I would like more. Does anyone of you have any recommendations? I am open to almost anything really...

I should mention that Legend of Korra basically boils down to a kids'-show, but it had a nice steam-punky feel to it, much like Dishonored, and some really beautiful vistas and special effects. Also this show combines 2d- and 3d-art to huge degree.

If you want, you can also recommend graphic novels etc.

Strictly speaking, all animation is computer graphics these days. The work load is just too heavy to do it the old fashioned way (unless it's some diehard indie group). Even Southpark is computer animated. But I guess what you are talking about is animation that has a distinct CG aesthetic, which is a different thing. The movie Renaissance comes to mind, but that's 3D, although there are some nice 2D-ish sequences in there that are very lush. If I think of something else I'll post it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

anime works?

Well, I never really watched anime because most things I saw were just not very beautiful. If it's beautiful, I'll watch it. :) (I guess you could consider both the things above anime with american influence maybe)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6ESjedsFl4 - 2d art brought to the best quality :)

Rayman Origins is definitely fun... :D

But I guess what you are talking about is animation that has a distinct CG aesthetic, which is a different thing.

To be precise, I am basically just looking for animated concept art. Concept drawings look amazing sometimes!! Or just really well drawn cartoons/animes with color gradients, cool lighting and special fx everywhere. :) You know, the stuff that knocks you off your shoes, just because it is done so well. Think about how amazed you were when you peaked at some new Blizzard CG for the first time and translate that to 2d comic like art. :)

The movie Renaissance comes to mind, but that's 3D, although there are some nice 2D-ish sequences in there that are very lush. If I think of something else I'll post it.

Renaissance looks like an interesting noir concept, although the 3d models look rather poor. Still gonna watch it though, thanks.

Regarding anime, I recommend both Ghost in the Shell movies plus both both TV show seasons (Stand Alone Complex and 2nd Gig). Nice to look at and a grown-up story to boot. My all-time favourite.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

These two shorts will only take a few minutes, but put a big grin on my face.

http://io9.com/5755105/what-if-superman-was-a-disney-cartoon

http://io9.com/5922922/this-superman-fan-cartoon-is-good-enough-to-warrant-an-entire-movie

They're inspired by the original Fleischer Superman cartoons from the 40s, which had an absolutely staggering budget for each one made. They used rotoscoping to achieve the fluid character movement. Probably more my thing than yours, but perhaps worth looking for. = )

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

As for anime, Satoshi Kon's animes are usually pretty visually interesting, Millennium Actress, Parika, Paranoid Agent.

Some of Gonzo's anime also, like the Last Exile series is visually fun to watch.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 1 month later...

Have been checking out the Ghost in the shell TV-show. Thanks for the recommendation. It looks quite nice every now and then. So far the story is kinda boring though. Will there be a connected story later?

Hmmm... Never watched the tv show, just the movies. They are brilliant in terms of artistic vision, but the stories might not be everyone's cup of tea. I would highly recommend (both movies) if you like sci-fi in the Blade Runner kind of style.

Yeah, I saw those movies a while back and you're right, not everyone's cup of tea. They weren't boring but really not my thing.

By the way, the third episode of the TV show turned out quite entertaining actually.

But maybe someone of you could help me identify an anime movie. I watched it when I was very young and can hardly remember anything of it. I think it was about a duo much like the one in ghost in the shell, a girl and an older man. I think it was about hunting down cyborgs and in the end it turned out, the girl was a cyborg all along or something like that.

These two aren't 2D, but they are still wonderfully done and visually stunning:

The Gift:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJIxA2RbW2A&feature=colike

Rosa:

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.