The Dark Mod Forums

Random video of the day...

Bikerdude

• 2 weeks later...

God-damnit. All those guys are just like "I can still make it!" :D

But jokes aside judging on the speed of the train I wonder how many children die there each year. :/

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

It's amazing that people are patient enough to put up with this. I have train tracks like a kilometer away from my house, and I still get annoyed by train horns. They're so loud, and this is like an uptown rail, so trains go by every 20 minutes, from 6 am to midnight. But that's nothing in comparison to this :o

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 4 weeks later...

daaaaaaaamn, it runs! Somehow I expected better FPS than that, though not by much. But this is an older Pi generation. I mean, the first Xbox was somehow made to run Doom 3, and they say the Pi's GPU is on that level or slitly better, so surely it can pump out more FPS than this?

• 2 weeks later...

Very relevant for every stealth gamer. This is exactly why I try to only reload when I die. Excellent channel BTW, if you don't know it.

I don't care about my stealth score - but if i get a guard into combat mode i most often still reload. TDM does not reward failure at all and neither combat nor hiding until the guard cools down again is fun for me. But blackjacking random people and robbing em blind is - don't know why though...

The reward is that feeling when you get out of a sticky situation and the feeling of satisfaction for not "cheating yourself" out of danger. But whatever, play however you want! :-)

For me, this video actually kind of opened my eyes to something I have been feeling for a long time, but couldn't quite put my finger onto. Challenges in stealth games like "never be seen" are stupid and actually harm your fun in playing, because obviously, you wanna achieve the perfect score and always reload. Boring! Having seen this video now, I will ignore these challenges, unless I got for a second playthrough. It's the fun that counts, not the perfect score.

Challenges in stealth games like "never be seen" are stupid and actually harm your fun in playing, because obviously, you wanna achieve the perfect score and always reload.

Some people enjoy such challenges (not me though) - so their existence is fine (if not used to lock away the good stuff from blackjacks like me). Whether they are more harm or good highly depends on the individual playing the game. So you should always feel free to cherrypick your fun from any game.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wanted an OLED monitor until I saw this video.

Guess I'll be stuck with LCD monitors and their shit black levels for the foreseeable future. That is the big advantage of OLED: it can display 100% black pixels right beside bright ones, and anything in between. Playing Thief and TDM on an LCD monitor still feels like I'm doing some kind of injustice to the games. Anyone who ever played Thief in a pitch-black room on a CRT monitor knows exactly what I'm talking about.

One of the scams that manufacturers of LCD monitors pull is dimming the backlight to simulate black. But then, that limits the maximum brightness of other pixels on the screen. But this enables them to advertise that the monitor has 1,000,000 to 1 contrast ratio!

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 4 weeks later...

I <3 laughing at people like this.

Especially when all else fails and someone puts them in their place, they start shrieking like a caged animal.

EDIT: Quote of the day:

Guy: "You can't shoplift here!"

Girl: "Yeah, why not?"

Edited by kano

For anyone who still doesn't believe that you can get surround sound out of standard headphones, play this video with a pair on.

This is an old, obscure DOS game from 1995 that has been ported to Java and opengl/openal. That is pure bad-ass. Nevermind the occasional civilian stepping out into the way of the van. lol They did that in the original version of the game too. Don't play in the street, kids!

Edited by kano
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...