The Dark Mod Forums

Random video of the day...

Bikerdude

This player winds up rage-quitting one of my favorite wads! The visuals are simple and strictly 1990s (because that's when it was made), but the gameplay is varied, fun with the occasional nasty surprise thrown in (like teleporting you right into the middle of a room full of monsters), and it has a kick-ass soundtrack.

That part with the Cyberdemon at the end of the video is especially tough. You have two choices, fight him down below, suicide because there's no cover (never succeeded at that one myself, or weave in and out in front of the window up top and take pot-shots at him whilst trying not to get pasted by his rockets. This is Doom, after all, so move, move, move! Running away is not an option, because he blocks the teleporter to exit the level, and even if his rockets don't get you while you're navigating the glorified tightrope that leads to the teleporter, he's not likely to let you in.

• Like 1

The interviewer looks like a movie scientist from Independence Day or other movies. Pretty cool answers from the computer.

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Nokia 3310 Destruction Test - Extreme 900 Feet Drop Test!

After the test, although with the screen broken and the housing split, it was still possible to make and receive calls.

Same with iPhone, falling 2 fts from the desk.

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

On 1/1/2022 at 10:44 AM, LDAsh said:

Shhh, don't tell anyone I found this here:-

https://www.moddb.com/games/chasm-the-rift/downloads/chasm-portable

https://piped.kavin.rocks/watch?v=rCjVx1iPOBg

Nice, huge resemblance to Quake

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

So... Why DID this thing fail? It looks like they got everything right while designing it. The only thing they left out, was batteries, which was probably not very practical while driving a CRT. And if you think 23 pounds was heavy, imagine what it would be if there were batteries inside. lol

Somehow I missed this mod. Hilarious and creative.

The plot is as follows. The main villain of the original Shadow Warrior game, Zilla, has caused so much trouble that MI6 (James Bond) is after him now. But the Protagonist of the original Shadow Warrior game (Lo Wang) doesn't take kindly to this, because after all, taking Zilla down is his thing. So, Lo Wang captures and imprisons Bond, and takes his place.

Edited by kano
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some parts of this WAD are artistically an A++ in terms of music and level design. Others suffer from too much copy/paste architecture. The volcano level is especially a treat. BTW I break the rules of most of the musicians and (instead of using the Roland GS soundfont that they would expect/tell you to, use the following one). Because in most cases, it sounds a hundred times better.

Basically, instead of midi files sounding like they are being played on a cheap little keyboard, it sounds like a huge, expensive organ. Of course you pay for it in terms of memory use. 240MB vs 6MB for the standard soundfont that everybody uses, but on a modern computer, who cares?

There are much bigger soundfonts than this one floating around, but I personally would not use them, because in my testing they didn't sound any better, actually worse, than this one. All of the instrument sounds have been perfectly balanced with each other in terms of volume and quality in this soundfont, it was obviously put together by a professional.

Edited by kano