The Dark Mod Forums

Random video of the day...

Bikerdude

Interesting... An enclosure with a full color screen on it. I wonder how it knows how full the file system on the installed drive is? I didn't think enclosures were "smart" enough to know that; how is it supposed to know if I'm using Btrfs or Ext4? And how long before someone hacks one of these to play Doom?

2 hours ago, kano said:

Interesting... An enclosure with a full color screen on it. I wonder how it knows how full the file system on the installed drive is? I didn't think enclosures were "smart" enough to know that; how is it supposed to know if I'm using Btrfs or Ext4? And how long before someone hacks one of these to play Doom?

Something like this strikes me as a better idea, but it's hard to know who to trust because so many hubs/electronics are cheap junk:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acuce-A10-Pro-14-in-1-portable-hub-with-M-2-SSD-enclosure-now-crowdfunding-on-Kickstarter.665621.0.html

Been using one of these for a wile and am very happy with it Especially so because it has a lanyard attachment point, a cover for the connector to keep stuff out of it, and also support for both protocols; Nvme and SATA. Most enclosures lack these features. Adding a screen to one of these enclosures is just something that didn't cross my mind.

Edited by kano

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Guess there is more gaming-fight left in these old PCIe3.0 motherboards than initially expected. In theory, as long as you have enough video memory, the impact on performance should be very minimal. But as soon as it gets exhausted though, look out, frame rates will probably tank, as it has to push and pull textures from system memory. This is (another) reason why having graphics cards with lots of memory is important. E.g. the Rx6500XT with 4GB and only 4 lanes at PCIe 3.0, is like going into a boxing match with a broken arm and a broken leg.

I feel kind of stupid now for replacing a PCIe 3.0 motherboard with a PCIe 4.0 motherboard. But I wanted to make sure I can get as much life out of a 5950x system as possible. And the new platform from AMD is so attractively priced, that they have had to slash the cost less than three months after launching it. In other words, nobody wants to pay exorbitantly for motherboards during a recession!

Edited by kano
  • Like 1

I'm wondering what a 7500 XT will look like if AMD makes one. RDNA 3 on monolithic 6nm, maybe 6 GB of VRAM, 4-8 PCIe 4.0 lanes (4 lanes only sucks), hopefully not nerfed decode/encode support. But market conditions may not be there for them to want to make it. The first one could be seen as a lucky cash grab that used a mobile-focused die, and discrete RDNA 2 in laptops was not popular with OEMs AFAIK, so they had the dies to shift to desktop.

If there is something that is superior to my GTX 970 in every way at a bargain bin price point, I might snatch it up. But I'm using PCIe 3.0 (x16) from the 5700G, and I don't really care about high-end gaming right now that isn't TDM missions at 1080p/60FPS. So I can wait this market out forever.

• 2 weeks later...

Superbly crafted FM, probably my all-time favorite. Nailed the atmosphere perfectly and feels like it belongs in the actual game; doesn't try to transform the game into something that it was not meant to be, and is free from bugs.

Just a shame that this player didn't have 3D sound enabled.

Edited by kano

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit, so this is real. This is actually real. Nobody would contest the notion that all of your devices emit EM radiation, and even that the emitted EM signals are directly tied to what the device is actually doing. Any AM radio near something from a Game Boy to a desktop PC, can confirm this.

But I always found the idea that someone could actually use the emissions to determine what is on the screen from a distance and/or through walls, to be unlikely at best. But too many people have demonstrated it for it to be fake or a hoax.

One must also consider that, if they can observe a non-networked machine from a distance, then they could probably also manipulate it in a similar way; by using EM/radio waves. A strong enough radio will induce a current in a circuit; the old "hearing some HAM radio or extremely naughty CB operator with an amp through your stereo even when you're not listening to an audio CD/record is an example of this.

Edited by kano

• 2 weeks later...

• Haha 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 3 weeks later...

No worries. We have two tiers of justice in America. As such, someone will pay a trivial and laughable fine and then they will promptly go right back to lobbying the government to dismantle and tear down more safety regulations. Probably not even five minutes later!

Not only have they failed to make trains safer by modernizing the breaks, they actually made them less safe, by making them longer.

Edited by kano

• 2 weeks later...