The Dark Mod Forums

What's your forum avatar, and why did you choose it?

simplen00b

This may be a non-starter but I'm quite nosey interested in what quite a few of the avatars on display actually are​, and why you've chosen them for this forum. I'll start:

My avatar is: a still from the film Vampyr (1932 German vampire film, IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023649/. I may get round to adding it to Melan's 'Thiefy movies' thread at some point, cos parts of it are quite, er, thiefy).

I chose it because: it totally captures the wide-eyed, peering-over-my-shoulder, "What the heck was that?" feeling I can get from playing TDM.

Anyone else?

Haha, I was always certain your avatar was a simple b&w webcam-shot of yourself and I always thought "that dude is a funny guy". :D

Well I guess, both questions regarding my avatar are unnecessary to answer... :)

Spidernoob is finally back!! :laugh: Welcome! What a nice theme!

I must affiliate STiFU, I thought it was a photo taken by yourself and you made it up to an "old" photo yourself :blush:

My avatar is: Alma in her young age, from the horror shooter F.E.A.R. which had excellent shocking moments, some really bloody scenes and a gripping storyline. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.e.a.r.

I chose it, because: She had a painful life with no single happy moment and was threatened until she got superhuman powers to break out and get revenge on everything and all in life. She's a really broken character who's blind to everything that's good. She reminds me of the story of Alice (who was in a lunatic asylum) or of the little girl from the movie The Ring. I guess what fascinates me in these characters is that I totally feel sorry for what the humans did to them but in the same moment find myself shaking my had by watching what massacres they wreak. I took from them that humanity, even your best friends and yet your own blood - your family - is able to ruin your life and the way you used to life it, but if you're strong enough you can make it through and maybe even get your rightful revenge on everything that harmed you so much. So they'll be a part of me and that's why I chose one of them (Alma) as my avatar who represent me here in this forum.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

My avatar is the letter 'J'. Because that's the first letter of Jay.

Funnily enough though, it's not any old 'J' - it's the illuminated first letter from the Kelmscott Press telling of Jason and the Argonauts. Funny because my real name is Jason. Oh and I happen to be a bit of a fan of Arts and Crafts think, hence the Kelmscott Press thing. And Mr Morris who actually did the actual illuminating (or at least oversaw some minion, Morris always gets credit for everything but it's not clear what any of the many minions he employed were for) was my uncle's great-grandads' sister or something.

None of which has anything to do with anything Dark Moddy. The forum software just latched on to my gravatar from elsewhere. One day I'll work out how to make it a bit smaller so it's crisper and not so blurry about the edges.

Edited by jay pettitt

You are related to THE Willaim Morris? THE Designer?? From THE awesome Kelmscott Manor???

He was one of the coolest dudes in his time for sure :D

--

Yeah I was surprised when you changed your picture, RPG. but it is a cool advertisement and it differs clearly from most of the other avatar pictures.

--

Besides I find in this forum there are many many good looking and different avatars. In most other forums there are only boring ones or bothering ones <_<

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Mine is a main character from my very first adventure game: Betrayal at Krondor. I remember being in 1st grade, hopping on my Dad's 486 machine with the big stack of diskettes. I tryed to figure out how to install the game and configure the soundblaster card, but had to get my dad (software developer) to help me out. It's a heartwarming memory of an old geek teaching the young geek.

I was in high school when I picked up the game again, loved the writing & dialogue, played through to the end, and drove to a bookstore to find some novels made by the same writer -- Raymond E. Feist. At the time it was fascinating that that old video game was in part developed by a critically acclaimed novelist.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I must affiliate STiFU, I thought it was a photo taken by yourself

Well, in a way, it is me - I had messed about with a couple of other avatars, but wasn't really happy with them. Melan's (previous B&W) avatar inspired me to look for some old film pix, and as soon as I saw that Vampyr photo, I thought "That's me! Playing TDM!" But no - in RL, I'm older...jowlier...more grizzled.... :P

Well I guess, both questions regarding my avatar are unnecessary to answer...

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: I don't know what your avatar is.

Sorry STiFU - I'm not a hardened gamer so a lot of the avatars here are completely foreign to me. I genuinely only discovered what Sotha's avatar is last week while watching one of FenPhoenix's System Shock 2 videos :rolleyes:.

Some really great little stories so far (but "I just liked it" is a perfectly valid answer too). And RPG's avatar always gives me a little smile. :)

Sorry STiFU - I'm not a hardened gamer so a lot of the avatars here are completely foreign to me. I genuinely only discovered what Sotha's avatar is last week while watching one of FenPhoenix's System Shock 2 videos

Heretic! :laugh:

It's the Doom's guy, right? looks like a remake though, the original probably doesn't have that resolution and nice details.

• Like 1

I agonized over mine for many hours. Those many hours turned into days. And nights. I thought I'd do something original like use something from some "classic" game... something "classic" yet obscure, esoteric, arcane!

And then. I thought better of it. It was all a dream. No hours or days or nights a'tall! Just a blipping blip as a blip is what is to be expected. Until tomorrow.

Or the next day.

Or.

My first avatar on this forum for a long time was Spike from Cowboy Bebop.

Since around TDM's release (late 2009), it's been Andre Breton.

I picked him because I like the idea of creating and leading an artistic movement, especially one like surrealism that had a lot of fascinating and influential concepts, and because it tapped into human imagination so deeply.

I think we're in the middle of a movement now that doesn't really have a name for itself yet... Modding is one thing that does it, but it's not what it is. I was going to try to codify it under the banner of cyberealism, the modern way we think about tapping into human imagination. Anyway, Breton is an inspirational model for me.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Mine is self-explanatory, based on my username, if you've read The Silmarillion. There are some tie-ins inside the LoTR books and movies if you haven't though. Ungoliant is the parent of Shelob, and at Minas Morgul, the secret stair leading to Shelob's lair is named "Cirith Ungol", and theres a few other related bits scattered here and there.

Basically, a great big greedy spider of ungodly power. To give you an idea of the greed of Ungoliant, after poisoning and consuming the light of the two trees (the predecessors of the sun and moon), eating the silmarils (the most expensive and radiant jewels in existence), and then laying the smackdown on Sauron's master Morgoth, Ungoliant's hunger became so great that she eventually consumed herself. Seems appropriate for a game about stealing everything not nailed down.

My avatar should be self-explanatory too. "Nothing can go wrong with this simple chore, right?"

"Lie to a liar, for lies are his coin; Steal from a thief, for that is easy; lay a trap for a trickster and catch him at first attempt, but beware of an honest man"

- Arab proverb

"This is Xerxes. Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. An extra work cycle just twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one."

"Why do you persist in your loneliness?"

"Remember, a smooth operation is everyone's responsibility."

"Thank you for your cooperation, citizen."

"Attention. Aidakeeley detection has occurred. Adjust forum anxiety index to FIVE."

I've always found totalitarian well meaning, but insane AI's interesting. The Computer from Alpha Complex is my favourite, yet the mental image of Xerxes suits me better. There are similarities, but that's above your security clearance.

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Since around TDM's release (late 2009), it's been Andre Breton.

To be honest, it shocked me when I saw it first, because I thought it was a photo of the shot president Kennedy. Really! :o

As I explored it a bit and then saw that it's now a corpse but I find it still very creepy :unsure:

@Hyeron: Is this the Postal dude?

It is indeed. I'm a huge fan. x)

"Lie to a liar, for lies are his coin; Steal from a thief, for that is easy; lay a trap for a trickster and catch him at first attempt, but beware of an honest man"

- Arab proverb

I played Postal 2 plus A.W. - it was very crazy and cool somehow. Haha - those possibilities!! xD And all those barby dolls running around ^^

Never tried Postal 3 though because I saw a test video where they say it would be totally lame and the AI is totally dumb and the whole game experience is pointless. Don't know if it really is that way. What are your thoughts? Do you give your recommendation? Is Postal 2 better than Postal 3?

Did you hear that Carmageddon 3 is being developed? Bad ass racing massacres coming back B)

Easy enough: just check the RWS forums, they're calling it a debacle, and call Postal 3 "the Russian Postal"... 5 minutes there should give you all the enlightenment and bile you'll need for this lifetime.

- Arab proverb

Loving all the little (and not-so-little) insights into people's choices here.

My avatar should be self-explanatory

Heh. Not to me it ain't. (See my reply to STiFU above.) Fortunately there's always Tineye to fall back on. :P

Heretic! :laugh:

Ooh, believe me, not knowing SS is one of the least of my gaming heresies... :ph34r:

@Sotha: Yeah, I like those would-be reassuring but actually sinister (in a funny kind of way) 'all powerful' AI's too. My current fave is the one in Portal. Utterly deranged, in a 'please like me and you'll get some cake even though I intend to destroy you' kind of way.

I'm a big fan of the industrial metal band Ministry and I think they do cool album covers. So I chose the front cover of The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste as my avatar.

@SeriousToni - I always thought your avatar was that little keeper girl that did the translating in TDS

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker