19 members have voted

1. 1. What browser do you mainly use?

• Chrome
    • Firefox
    • Opera
    • Internet Explorer
    • Safari
    • Other

I had quite a bit of problems regarding Flash in Opera the last months and I eventually got fed up with it. So I (re-)tried other browsers, specifically Firefox and Chrome. I couldn't get some of the functionality that I got used to through Opera into Firefox via extensions, so I ended up with Chrome for now, which I am actually pretty happy with.

Chrome is fast, has a minimalistic interface and has some great extensions. Among these the recently discussed "NotScripts"-extension, which apparently was discontinued on the Opera platform but not on Chrome. Other great extensions include "Go to IMDb" and "Speed Dial 2", the latter mimicing the Speed Dial in Opera, but better. :) The only things not so good about it in my opinion are the missing tab-groups functionality and the not comfortably toggleable bookmarks toolbar. But I can live with those issues for now.

I am still using Firefox, I like the addons (Echofon, DownThemAll, Easy Youtube VideoDownloader,) they don't exists on Opera/Chrome or don't work the way I like them to. I also prefer the cookie management of FF, I like to set my cookie preferences to each site individually.

Plus Chrome offers no way to open external links from other apps in the background. I fetch my feeds via RSSOwl, and I like to open all the articles I want in FF in the background.

I'm usually using Opera. I don't feel at ease using Chrome, Chromium with extensions doesn't get me the behaviour I like (which is pretty much vanilla Opera), and Firefox with extensions sometimes. I'll usually end up switching back to good ol' Opera though, because tab management in Firefox is a mess, Tab Mix Plus has a tendency to end up with erratic behaviour, and my average number of open tabs is anywhere between 40 and 80, plus memory management is just THAT bad in Firefox, Flash will end up eating 100% CPU (which never happens in Opera for some reason), I've had problems logging in to some Mantis setups in Firefox, and... well, site problems are few and far between now in Opera. :P

Edited by Hyeron

"Lie to a liar, for lies are his coin; Steal from a thief, for that is easy; lay a trap for a trickster and catch him at first attempt, but beware of an honest man"

- Arab proverb

Opera is the technology leader (most of the time), see tabbed browsing, mouse gestures and other features that other browsers copied. So why use a copy when you can have the original? ;-)

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I am exactly of the same opinion regarding Opera. Also proper long-time support for the features is guaranteed which is not necessarily the case with third-party extensions. However, as I just explained, I experienced some really crappy flash problems in opera and also the initial startup of the browser after a reboot is VERY slow if you have many tabs open in your restored session. Then some of my favorite extensions got outdated etc. Hence, my switch to Chrome.

There is a decent replacement for DownThemAll in Chrome by the way: Download Master. The only thing missing is the capability to enter download urls manually with support for wildcards or regexp.

tied google chrome but it ran at 100 percent on all four cores and hogged all the resources so I couldn't do anything and kept running its update program every 30 minutes.

I only use internet explorer to access my router, the drivers written to only use internet explorer to access its settings.

I use firefox.

Still coming across sites on the internet that insist that you use internet explorer only to access them, and wont work if you use another browser, but if you use internet explorer they dump loads of tracking cookies onto your computer. then am going through the popups from my spyware blocker for about 10 minutes manually blocking the spyware, when using internet explorer.

I have been using FF since version 3, although lately since version FF11 and the latest version of flash have been very unreliable. I see a bunch of people are using chrome, which I am surprised about - I say this because google have been caught several time spying on people and harvesting data. I would never use Chrome precisely because GG can't be trusted, but that said FF has way more addons than GC.

I stopped using firefox because it was too slow, but chrome is starting to do the same thing! I have 3ds max, mudbox and other extremely demanding software opened at the same time and occasionally I peek at the task manager to see who's demanding more and, surprise, chrome is eating up my ram! I'm thinking about trying opera. Last time I used was a few years ago and I don't remember why I switched.

I have been using FF since version 3, although lately since version FF11 and the latest version of flash have been very unreliable. I see a bunch of people are using chrome, which I am surprised about - I say this because google have been caught several time spying on people and harvesting data. I would never use Chrome precisely because GG can't be trusted, but that said FF has way more addons than GC.

To my knowledge, the unique ID in the browser and the google search suggestions based on your surfing behavior were the only spyware integrated in Chrome. The first has been removed already and the latter is only active when you log into the browser using your google account. So that shouldn't be an issue.

Well, even then there's still Chromium and SRWare Iron... Though I don't know how compatible the Chrome extensions are with the latter (last time I tried it was a looooong while back, and there were problems, maybe they're all soved for all I know).

Still, according to SRWare, that's far from the only privacy issues with Chrome - and I don't know how many of them are still present in Chromium either. Could be worth investigating.

http://www.srware.ne...ome_vs_iron.php

Edited by Hyeron

"Lie to a liar, for lies are his coin; Steal from a thief, for that is easy; lay a trap for a trickster and catch him at first attempt, but beware of an honest man"

- Arab proverb

I'm using SRware Iron in my Virtual Machine to save resources. So far, the only feature I'm really missing is the auto-update feature. I love that with Opera: just click "search for updates", and everything will go its way. No such thing with SRware Iron, as far as I could find out.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

although lately since version FF11 and the latest version of flash have been very unreliable.

Yes, I've noticed problems with the latest versions...everything I play on Youtube now has little micropauses every ten seconds or so.