The Dark Mod Forums

Needed for Standalone: Master Model List

Springheel

This is WIP post just to help me collect some info in one place.

In order to go standalone, TDM needs to replace all existing D3 assets. This is an attempt to catalogue all the models and animated models needed, along with links to briefs when they exist.

If you're interested in replacing any of these, great! It would really help us out. But please get in touch with me first if a brief doesn't exist, since replacements have to follow the originals in things like size, origin, etc.

Animated Characters:

Zombie -- http://forums.thedar...nimated-zombie/

Greebo has created a zombie character, and Arcturus has done a couple animations but we still need:

*anim sleep_2_sit_rgt // zombie starts out lying on ground on back; quickly rises to standing

*anim sleep_idle_rgt // the lying on ground pose. No movement (at least 30 frames for blending)

*anim sit_2_sleep_rgt // starts in standing idle; quickly lies down backwards

Skeleton -- http://forums.thedar...mated-skeleton/

We need an animated skeleton and ragdoll. Like the zombie, this should use our default humanoid animation rig so that it can share animations with the zombie and other characters.

Lemony has created a new skeleton model that Springheel will rig

Werebeast -- http://forums.thedar...ated-werebeast/

The head of the model is ours, but the body and animations come from the D3 imp and will need replacing.

Heads

atdm:ai_head01_commoner series

atdm:ai_head06_commoner series

atdm:ai_head08_commoner series

atdm:ai_head_sykes

Springheel will replace these

Static Models (wip)

The following are modified D3 models we currently ship with the mod:

• dungeon/skull_on_* series -- skull comes from D3 and needs replacing
  • graveyard/bones/skull.lwo
  • graveyard/bones/arm_left/right.lwo -- ? is this from the ragdoll?
  • lights/extinguishable/candlestand_hornedskull* series -- skull from D3
  • lights/extinguishable/candlestand_macabre_small.lwo
  • tools/pickaxe.lwo
  • furniture/beds/mattress.lwo

The following are D3 models referenced directly by existing maps. (Wiki page here: http://wiki.thedarkm...lone_TDM#Models)

(the locations of the models will be different, so it is not as important that the name stay the same).

• models/gibs/brain_2xb.lwo
  • models/gibs/gib_left_arm.lwo
  • models/gibs/gib_left_leg.lwo
  • models/gibs/gib_right_foot.lwo
  • models/gibs/gib_torso.lwo
  • models/gibs/left_waist_pork.lwo
  • models/gibs/lup_leg_pork.lwo
  • models/mapobjects/caves/caverock1.ase
  • models/mapobjects/hell/mancroom/bars.lwo
  • models/mapobjects/lights/cagelight/cagelight.lwo
  • models/mapobjects/tables/bunkbed/mattress.lwo -- this is identical to furniture/beds/mattress.lwo above, I believe

This one is a place holder for a quiver model, so we need a quiver instead this:

• models/items/shells_ammo/shells_large.lwo -- we have a quiver model already; might be a candidate for find/replace, but will need to compare size/origin.

Basic Instructions:

Basically, there are five things that need to stay consistent:

1. The size and orientation

2. The position of the origin

3. The basic "look" of the mesh and texture (if the original has a jaw, the replacement should; if the original is basically bleached white, the original should be too, etc)

4. The types of meshes included (if there is a cm and/or shadowmesh in the original, they need to be included in the replacement as well)

5. The name and format of the model.

General tip: if models can re-use existing textures, so much the better...maps will load faster if there are fewer texture files to load.

=========================================================

The things that can change are:

1. The number of polys (D3 models are rather low-poly...you're probably safe to double them).

2. The names of the material shaders

3. The number of sub-meshes (if you wanted to make the lower jaw a separate submesh so it could be turned off by a skin, for example, or adding strands of hair that could be turned on by a skin)

4. The layout of the uvmap.

5. Shadowmeshes and cms can be added to models that don't have them.

I have to double-check the chain; I'm not sure it needs to be replaced. A skull would be good. The D3 version has a lower jaw, unlike our other .ase skull. Are you able to open the existing .lwo to check out the size and origin?

There is also this list here, which was produced by grayman loading all FMs. It might miss models in FMs that crash during load, because then the missing model was not recorded:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Missing_assets_for_standalone_TDM#Models

But it definitely has some entries that are missing from the first post here. I think it would be better to maintain the list on the wiki, insted of creating new ones.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

There is the one distinction that we might give some priority to D3 models that got modified and actually put into the TDM package over the D3 models the game just calls from the D3 install (that won't be there in a standalone), just because it's a more complicated situation, license-wise, having those derivatives in the release than just having them missing altogether.

That would mean priority to the models in Spring's opening post, and then turning attention to the ones on the wiki list. But if someone can or really wants to make something from the wiki list, that would be welcome too.

• Like 2

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

There is also this list here, which was produced by grayman loading all FMs. It might miss models in FMs that crash during load, because then the missing model was not recorded:http://wiki.thedarkm...lone_TDM#Models

Hmm I like the idea of collecting free to use sounds from the net to replace a bunch of the ones in this list.

The skull seems to be fairly low on polys. What was the agreed procedure here? If I were to retopo the mesh with snaps to vertex, how would you even be able to tell the original and the remake apart? Am I to make a distinct one, meshing wise?

The skull seems to be fairly low on polys. What was the agreed procedure here? If I were to retopo the mesh with snaps to vertex, how would you even be able to tell the original and the remake apart? Am I to make a distinct one, meshing wise?

Basically, there are five things that need to stay consistent:

1. The size and orientation

2. The position of the origin

3. The basic "look" of the mesh and texture (if the original has a jaw, the replacement should; if the original is basically bleached white, the original should be too, etc)

4. The types of meshes included (if there is a cm and/or shadowmesh in the original, they need to be included in the replacement as well)

5. The name and format of the model.

=========================================================

The things that can change are:

1. The number of polys (D3 models are rather low-poly...you're probably safe to double them).

2. The names of the material shaders

3. The number of sub-meshes (if you wanted to make the lower jaw a separate submesh so it could be turned off by a skin, for example, or adding strands of hair that could be turned on by a skin)

4. The layout of the uvmap.

5. Shadowmeshes and cms can be added to models that don't have them.

pickaxe117.jpg

WIP

Replacement:

108 vertices

318 edges

212 tris

Original:

68 vertices

198 edges

136 tris

Don't panic, the texture isn't final.

Origin, overall size and orientation are the same.

Got ugly artifacts with the first one.

Is the topology ok or do I need to get rid of the tris at the cost of a higher polycount?

• Like 2

If the upper-left one is the original, the replacements look mighty fine to me (and more correct than the upper-left one, which has some strange shapes). And the few more tris will be not a problem at all - although you might make a low-poly version and use this also as shadow mesh (the shadow mesh for the cylinder might even be two rects that cross each other, with two round endcaps - the cast shadow would look almost the same.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Nice! I think it would be good to have the end flair out a bit like the original, rather than just taper off. A tapered handle would more easily slip out of your hand while working. Unless you wanted to add a grip to the texture.

If possible, you should use the actual cm mesh from the original file...if that mesh is identical and unmoved, then we know the model will be in the same position in any maps it was used in. Otherwise, it opens up the possibility of slight clipping that could cause objects to fall through surfaces when bumped.

You might get away with using a few less polys on the handle and instead set the shading to "smooth", or "round" (I forgot how exactly this is done, but you can achieve something that looks round by actually using a cube).

Don't use a cube, tho, as the silouette (esp. at the top) will be all wrong, but instead of a 10-sided cylinder you could use an 8-sidedone. For the lowpoly, you could use a simple cube - from 5m afar nobody will see the difference.

(Tho 260 tris is fine for this model, anyway)

Very nice. Just PM me whenever you're finished and I'll add it to SVN.

Good work indeed, but like Nosslak suggested, if you want to go through a little bit more work, I believe that by simply detaching the lateral faces from the top and botton ones on the metal piece, you could break that smoothing angle that makes it look rounded.

pickaxe1111.jpg

Add modifier -> edge split -> split angle 90 -> apply

In Blender everything looks fine. Ingame the bottom of the head is reversed and two tris are distorted.

Already tried flip direction, recalculate normals and splitting manually.

Any ideas?

Edited by Xcen

Add modifier -> edge split -> split angle 90 -> apply

In Blender everything looks fine. Ingame the bottom of the head is reversed and two tris are distorted.

Already tried flip direction, recalculate normals and splitting manually.

Any ideas?

It should work right off the bat. I'd check the unwrap, if it's just those two triangles it should be possible to restore it to it's original state perfectly.

I think the metal part could look a lot better with some scratches along the edges in the appropriate places (just use a square brush with random rotation and size in Photoshop). Also the wood is way too shiny, especially for older unpolished wood, so make the specular value something very dark for that.

Tried a different exporter, assimp and lightwave.

Both assimp and the exporter killed the edge split and the model is fully smoothed ingame.

Lightwave worked fine. No flipped normals or missing texture problems ingame.

Except this error message:

WARNING: ConvertLWOtoModelSurface: model 'models/darkmod/tools/pickaxe_3' has bad or missing uv data

The texture is there but distorted.

Before exporting the uvmap looked normal. When I reload the exported model in lightwave the texture is tiled and the uvmap just isn't there.

What format did you save in to open it in LW? I've noticed that sometimes exporting to .obj does not save the uvmap.