The Dark Mod Forums

idtech COOP Medieval/Fantasy/Stealth Universe projects

oneofthe8devilz

You cannot seriously try to justify this... I dont think there is anything wrong with my comment, it dont needs to be constructive at all if my mission is just to point something out.

I dont expect in return that someone comes after me personally, i mean he went to far and i now pointed that out.

Can we have more scary Zombie Horror maps?

Your style is mostly aggressive though, at least from what I saw on Discord (contentious or quarrelsome might be a better word). I'm no stranger to criticism, and I am able to extract useful feedback from your messages (when it's there), but I'd expect people to react with aggression to your comments, more often than not.

Edited by Judith

We are expected to tread on egg-shells around people who take criticism of projects and turn it into personal attacks and even explicit threats of violence... that won't turn out good for anyone.

I was going to write a chunk of text, but I will leave it to simple logic - is it more likely that toxic stalkers are hot on his trail and following him around with ready-made sockpuppet accounts, or that he is dragging around this personality and flamewars ignite where he goes. These could be reasons why he is still looking very lonely all by himself here.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/14015-idtech-coop-medievalfantasystealth-universe-projects/?p=437135

This is the best advice he can receive and only he can take it. We can't constantly sit and try to carefully spoon it into his frothing maw.

Edited by LDAsh

This place has been drama-free for a few months now, and I'd like to keep it that way. Snarky comments are one thing (likely to be met in kind), but personal attacks are specifically against the rules.

• Like 4

Attacking me personally in PMs is very professional.

Look who is the Toxic stalker now ^^

Only because i repeated myself yet again you are exploding like this, fragile and toxic is defined by this.

The reason I PMed you was a gesture of courtesy to actually spare you public embarrassment and to reach out a hand. I fear you mistake disappointment with rage (exploding). In fact I actually missed your original post until Destined put my attention to it. Call it natural interest in human psychology but I just tried to make sense out of what makes people post such posts. Imagine my surprise. It's a little disappointing though that you felt the need to first edit your public gofundme.com profile description before coming back at me with more bad intended posts forcing it into public space.

P.S. If the moderators/admins find this reply too personal feel free to delete it for the sake of a friendlier discussion environment.

Edited by oneofthe8devilz

I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

sps_banner_icon.jpg

Check out our mods at

moddb or the SPS Homepage

We are expected to tread on egg-shells...

It shall be up to the mods/admins to decide whether to allow you and your associates to pull off the same devastation as you guys did a few years back.

I for one try to prevent it. It's a fact that I move to new threads and you keep following. You never find me posting in any of your threads it is always the other way around.

And by the way... what is wrong with being a one-man-team ? What are you trying to imply ?

sps_banner_icon.jpg

Check out our mods at

Oh ... then I clearly must be mistaking you with the LDAsh back from those forums being one of the few but ferocious supporters of those forum's biggest troll...

LDAsh.jpg

Surely it must be another user just accidentally bearing the same nickname and couldn't possibly be you ... could it ?

sps_banner_icon.jpg

Check out our mods at

Damn, man, you got me! And check this out:-

oneofthe8devilz: Date Registered: May 19, 2014, 01:09:09 PM
LDAsh: Date Registered: July 19, 2014, 04:27:41 AM

I joined just 2 months after you did!!! You know why I joined? You do, because I was getting way too itchy every night rolling in puddles of sweat thinking about you.

Please get over yourself. I'm not going to keep coming back here because honestly I'm still not even sure what you're trying to say. I'm part of some secret underground troll-brigade whose sole purpose is to destroy the almighty oneofthe8devilz because we're just too damn jealous? Get help. Seriously.

I asked where the textures came from because I assumed you made the map. I then looked back and looked it up and found the map. This was a crime, apparently.

...I'm done here.

I honestly would appreciate your move to cease commenting this thread as I shall stop addressing you as well in case you keep your word (even though your involvement in the escalation of the conflict back then seems to have been conveniently left out in your last statement).

And for anyone that wonders what kind of toxicity I am trying to keep away from this place/thread click here at your own risk...

sps_banner_icon.jpg

Check out our mods at

That point in time was at the peak of toxicity and after years of tolerance (or ignorance on my end) and after observing many valuable members ceasing activity on the forums I admittedly too lost my patience (we're all human after all) which also was the reason why I stopped frequenting the page for almost full 3 years.

Again it was one of my threads (mind the ironic title of it "Growing the community" in a futile attempt to discuss how more users could be acquired) which got once again overrun (those were just the posts that ended up in the "Haunting of Deck 12" area and quite rightly so). IMO frequent events like this were pretty much the deathblow to that community.

And now after almost 3 years of inactivity on my side on those forums, after simply updating my thread with the latest 2019 Venture progress (with only the few trolls remaining in an inactive/idle state) the trash posting seamlessly continued. Goes to show that there simply is no reasoning for me with that kind of unprecedented stubbornness/resilience.

sps_banner_icon.jpg

Check out our mods at

It's sad times when basic conflicts between community users generate more interest, clicks and views than the primary reason why we all decided to come together... namely to discuss, share and cooperate on community based projects.

• Like 1

sps_banner_icon.jpg

Check out our mods at

Yeah, I think those two users from the last page had valid concerns about borrowing and sourcing.

That and you still haven't apologized for importing off-site drama. I don't particularly care who's in the right here because A) I'm not a mod and it's not my job, and B) you're not exactly coming across as an peaceful angel so far.

And you apparently trash-talked people in PMs instead of contacting the moderators.

Use the report button if you must.

I must say, between this and the lack of a response to my thread in Tech Support I'm less-than-impressed with this forum so far.

Edited by JumpinBlackjackFlash

Yeah, I think those two users from the last page had valid concerns about borrowing and sourcing.

That and you still haven't apologized for importing off-site drama. I don't particularly care who's in the right here because A) I'm not a mod and it's not my job, and B) you're not exactly coming across as an peaceful angel so far.

Would you mind quoting the two users' concerns as I seem to have trouble making out exactly what you refer to. Also do you find it appropriate having to apologize for something that was not initiated by me and that I tried to prevent myself right from the beginning ?

Users here requested clarification about exactly what I was trying to prevent. I can't follow your logic, believing it would be me having to apologize but I'm open for explanations from your point of view (even at the cost of still extending this off-topic discussion far beyond diminishing returns)

sps_banner_icon.jpg

Check out our mods at

Of course we did... countless times actually... but the admin of the page for whatever reason was reluctant to take action against either side which only kept fueling and growing that conflict mess over time.

• Like 1

sps_banner_icon.jpg

Check out our mods at

Hello 1o8,

I am not sure whether I understand this correctly:

"Coop mode" means that you will port Thief 3 as a whole into Doom 3 engine, but you will add a coop mode (something like in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory)?

• Like 1

Hey Jack,

technically multiple options are still on the table to realize a thief themed coop mode project:

Option 1 would be to port everything from Thief3 DS to idtech4 (that includes later replacing all copyright protected assets with free or licensed counter parts to avoid copyright infringement)

Option 2 would be to get in contact with the current Thief3 DS source code and IP copyright owners to implement a coop patch by pulling off something similar to what the Nightdive Studios are currently doing with SystemShock 1 (minus rebuilding the game from scratch but instead focusing on a coop multiplayer and VR output patch)

Option 3 would be somewhat of an hybrid approach where an installer could be released that checks whether the user has genuine copies of Thief: Deadly Shadows and Doom3 installed on his PC. Providing an installer that can extract and copy assets from the "Thief: Deadly Shadows" game folder and place them in the according Doom3 mod folder in an automated fashion to not violate any Copyright as the installer itself would only ship with the mentioned instructions (without any of the copyright protected material included).

Btw... thanks for your question allowing me to steer this thread's discussion content back on track :)

sps_banner_icon.jpg

Check out our mods at

Arguable IMO... Thief 4 sales and its success were bad enough to make Square Enix at least open for discussion. Further more the whole deal could be limited exclusively to the Deadly Shadows brand, source code and assets. Provided enough community interest and/or investors can be mobilized, I don't see Square Enix having much to loose in such a deal about a game and technology released 15 years ago...

Plus we are not really sure what exactly happened to the tech and IP rights (it is something I plan to research/request in the near future). Quite some bizarre cases have happened in the past regarding Game IPs that wound up in similar situations.

sps_banner_icon.jpg

Check out our mods at

That's pure speculation on your end.

Thief reboot sold 3,2 M copies across consoles and PC, which is more than enough to pay the bills, even though it's only 70% on Metacritic. Thief is a cult classic that carries enough weight to be used later, even if only to be used for a completely different game under familiar brand (see Prey). Noone in their sane mind in SE would even think about selling the IP rights. And if you'll contact them while already using their assets in your project, all you'll get in return is a C&D letter.

Not speculation but rather a simple look at the game's wikipedia page.
Especially the sections Reception and Sequel: 5 years after the game's release and the outlook to a sequel has never looked more grim. Especially in today's megalomaniac game industry business not releasing a successor for such a long period of time can be taken as an indicator of a brand's popularity and net-worth. But again those may be just conflicting opinions.

About getting a C&D letter on the other hand: I am virtually certain that as long as I don't make the build that I am currently working on publicly available I could write letters to Square Enix all day long without having to fear to ever receive such a letter as such work/activity is covered by the liberty to do whatever pleases me as a private person in my private time on my private space as long as I don't violate the rights of other individuals and/or organisations. But please feel free to correct me (preferably with empirical proof).

In the case of my current Venture build, replacing the Garrett playermodel with a legally bulletproof one literally is just a mouseclick and a few seconds of re-rigging away... so not really even worth the mentioning.

On a side-note:

It would be interesting to see how such huge and commercially popular projects like Garry's Mod handle the massive Copyright Infringements that are being committed on a dialy basis with the industry's largest Copyright Protected IPs:

I am seeing all kinds of assets from all kinds of games for GMOD made publicly legally available on steam workshops that are clearly much much bigger in terms of value and protection compared to Thief Deadly Shadows while the title itself is being sold commercially in the millions on Steam as well:

(Screenshots of Workshop Assets of Game IPs like Doom3, Gears of War and Halo for GMOD available for download on Steam)

gmod.foreign.ips.jpg

The point I am trying to make is that there obviously seem to be means and ways to legally handle that topic.

sps_banner_icon.jpg

Check out our mods at