The Dark Mod Forums

Music

Loa4ever

This topic is for you guys tell the music style you are listening or you enjoy listen :), give enough examples for reference it doesn't need a specific order.

Personally I like to listen a bite of everything:

Metal

- Dimmu Borgir

- Dethklok (I know I know isn't a real band, but even for an animated series they are cool)

- Linkin Park

- Metalica

- Rammstein

Punk

- The Offspring

- Dope

Pop

- Madona (more her old musics not her recent ones)

- Depeche Mode (again their old ones XD)

Electronic/Tehcno/House

- Scooter (nessaja anyone :P?)

- Combichrist

- Celldweller (this person have some styles mixed but still on this category)

Epic Music

- Two Steps from Hell

- X- Ray Dog

Hip-Hop/Rap

- Eminen

- Mind da Gap (is a portuguese group)

Classic

- All composers

Edited by Loa4ever

I listen mostly to thrash / black / death / heavy / doom metal but I'm also a big fan of good old 70's classic rock. Martial industrial / neo folk are fantastic genres, too! Aaaaand I love soundtracks and ambient songs. Traces of classic and progressive songs can be found in my song list, too.

There are too many bands to list them all up but some stuff is rather extreme while other bands are really quiet. I play guitar, bass guitar and drums and I'm active in one black metal band and in one band called "Staub" which makes some kind of gothic metal / rock.

www.reverbnation.com/staub

I'm the fucked up bass guy in this one. :D

@Loa4ever: Yeeeah! Celldweller is a beast! Love his stuff.. Do you listen to Blue Stahli also? (His buddy and sometimes co-worker.)

But yeah... I used to be a big metal head (with the long hair and black clothes and stuff) but then I discovered that I just can't like one kind of music and ignore the rest (due to genre differences and the usual crap cliques usually complain about) and I started seeing a pattern in other music that I tended to like in metal and I started listening to more and more electro/techno music.

Electro music is pretty much the largest chunk I listen to nowadays. This is usually because the music is monotone (and often lyric-less) so I can easily work to it.

But it doesn't stop there, I listen to pop, RnB, Hiphop, Ambient, Classical(sometimes), Rock, Punk, Black metal, Techno metal, Noise, Dubstep, UK Bass, Moombahton, Death metal, Thrash metal, Heavy metal, Chiptune, 8-Bit, Hardcore, Gabber, Emo, Screamo aaaaaaaand pretty much whatever else there is. Let's just say I listen to everything becaaaause: I think that: If the song is good, the song is good. No need to worry about genre or anything of the sort, can't deny what you like, right? :)

• Like 1

These days I'm getting into indie bands.

Generally I guess I like industrial rock and electronica (also ambient electronic), folk metal or goth metal, some jazz (& some hiphop if it's jazzy. I play jazz piano too), on Pandora I often put it on the Deep House genre station, very chill ... postrock, some folk. I'll listen to almost anything quality though...

NIN, Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Autechre, Air, Orbital, Depeche Mode, Thievery Corporation...

Eluveitie, The Birthday Massacre, Alice in Chains, early Foo Fighters...

Josh Ritter, Sufjan Stevens, Uncle Tupelo & its descendents Wilco & Son Volt

Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, Built to Spill...

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 2 weeks later...

http://modarchive.or...eid&query=58116

Been listening to this track today. Although it was added in 1997, it was made in 1991. (internal texts say so)

I feel he should have done more with the guitar at the end. That's a good sounding sample.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

• 2 weeks later...

@Loa4ever: Yeeeah! Celldweller is a beast! Love his stuff.. Do you listen to Blue Stahli also? (His buddy and sometimes co-worker.)

But yeah... I used to be a big metal head (with the long hair and black clothes and stuff) but then I discovered that I just can't like one kind of music and ignore the rest (due to genre differences and the usual crap cliques usually complain about) and I started seeing a pattern in other music that I tended to like in metal and I started listening to more and more electro/techno music.

Electro music is pretty much the largest chunk I listen to nowadays. This is usually because the music is monotone (and often lyric-less) so I can easily work to it.

But it doesn't stop there, I listen to pop, RnB, Hiphop, Ambient, Classical(sometimes), Rock, Punk, Black metal, Techno metal, Noise, Dubstep, UK Bass, Moombahton, Death metal, Thrash metal, Heavy metal, Chiptune, 8-Bit, Hardcore, Gabber, Emo, Screamo aaaaaaaand pretty much whatever else there is. Let's just say I listen to everything becaaaause: I think that: If the song is good, the song is good. No need to worry about genre or anything of the sort, can't deny what you like, right? :)

Sorry just to respond to you now XD, about Blue Stahli not really but I can give a try :). And yes we shouldn't ignore the otehrs styles and respect others personal likes, but you have to admit nowadays the music isn't in good. A person can be famous very easily not having good voice and like a explosion you alridy famous.

Some soundtracks are good, nice reference guys :).

Edited by Loa4ever

but you have to admit nowadays the music isn't in good. A person can be famous very easily not having good voice and like a explosion you alridy famous.

In England a huge chunk of our saturday night TV is taken up by talent shows that have people singing well known songs. Most of these people sound the same and bring nothing new to the table. The people who win are lucky if they get a No. 1 hit and stay famous for a year. After a year they are forgotten about (and rightly so) and we're on the next flavour of the year. Instead of trying to create a legacy and doing something new in music they just care about being famous. This is the unfortunate state of poular music in the UK. Quite a step down for the country that brought you The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. I can't speak very well for other countires.

For me personally I've been through lots of stages in my life where I listened to various genres of music. I now a have a huge catalog and listen to anything depending on my mood. The last couple of days I have been listening to Rachmaninov, Depeche Mode, Skunk Anansie and Skinny Puppy to name a few.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

In England a huge chunk of our saturday night TV is taken up by talent shows that have people singing well known songs. Most of these people sound the same and bring nothing new to the table. The people who win are lucky if they get a No. 1 hit and stay famous for a year. After a year they are forgotten about (and rightly so) and we're on the next flavour of the year. Instead of trying to create a legacy and doing something new in music they just care about being famous. This is the unfortunate state of poular music in the UK. Quite a step down for the country that brought you The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. I can't speak very well for other countires.

That cases are very rare and I agree with you. That just happen with people with real talent but after a few years or enven months disapear like nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

and here are 26 minutes of "How to give a song a name that really fits!"

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I'm really enjoying Blackgaze at the moment which is a cross betweeen black metal and shoegaze. I'm listening to Alcest and An Autumn for Crippled Children at the moment. I also find that their progressive and atmospheric qualities makes them really good to work to.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

The Joker

Yeah Alcest is some Black Metal from France - and it really sounds like that too xD

How do you mean? Apart from the singer singing in French I can't hear anything that really defines them as French.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85c-P9hbmBg

As a side note the only language that I speak is English and I absolutely love it when a band sings in another language. I get a completely different experience from the music when I cannot understand the lyrics and I wish more non English speaking bands would do this. I guess it's because I can attach my own personal meaning to the song instead of the singers. The singers accent also sounds a lot better when they sing in their mother tongue. Maybe they think they won't be succesful but this was never a problem for Rammstein.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

The Joker

• 2 weeks later...

Its a great remix, but I still say the piano part was better in the original version. This can be found at 2:53. The original had a louder piano with only one note playing at a time, making the melody easier to distinguish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW24BH1_jLo&feature=relmfu

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.