The Dark Mod Forums

Loa4ever's models

Loa4ever

Thanks once again and sorry :s. I have a screenshot of one of my objects I'm working on the moment: pasteries.

http://desmond.image...png&res=landing

I'm having however a problem to make the texture looking right on the brown parts. I suspect is because of the size of the imagem but I'm not sure.

Edited by Loa4ever
  • Like 1

Heh, those would be good if Christine ever decides to make a TDM FM. (She loves putting pastries in her FMs.)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Cool to see more new models, but you would still have to make this one quite low poly (if you want to have a bunch of them spread over a table), and small objects are quite hard to see inside TDM, so you would probably be better off eliminating tiny details and perhaps focusing on a more generic mesh with several different types of textures, so you could have variety.

Edited by RPGista

Heh, those would be good if Christine ever decides to make a TDM FM. (She loves putting pastries in her FMs.)

Glad someone like pastories :).

Cool to see more new models, but you would still have to make this one quite low poly (if you want to have a bunch of them spread over a table), and small objects are quite hard to see inside TDM, so you would probably be better off eliminating tiny details and perhaps focusing on a more generic mesh with several different types of textures, so you could have variety.

Glad you like to see my exemple, I'll keep in mind your advice :).

To be honest, I think the C model would work the best - its such a small model, the other ones would just be too ambiguous (you wont be able to tell what it is). They are still far to high poly from the look of them, things like some of the almonds could just be placed in the texture with a bump map giving it "volume", instead of a mesh of itself. I would take a look a "low poly models for games" tutorials in order to get a good feel of how simplified they have to be in general and how a lot of the work can be done through textures.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I'm back with something that The Dark Mod doesn't have, hospital stuff. The frist thing I'll post here I call it cleaner table, is a table where the doctors and nurses study the corpses and clean them after to put them in the morgue. Probably isn't the right name so if one of you knows it please tell me to correct.

http://imageshack.us...leanertable.png

Please also tell me your opinions.

Edited by Loa4ever

Looks good and is really something what is missing in TDM! (Make sure to make it fit to an AI character in length.)

What is this green thing? Is it a flexible tube? - Don't know if rubber would fit to the steam punk scenario, but hell, why not.

Btw.: Have you began mapping your hospital map as well?

Edited by Radiant

It certainly wouldn't look out of place in Shalebridge Cradle or the morgue section in Rose Cottage. I like it :smile:

@ Radiant - no it doesn't look very steampunk but I think that hospital sections might be the exception to the rule. When I think of hospitals I think of silver tables for autopsies and operations and silver scalpels as opposed to the typical brass and bronze associated with steampunk. I also think of light colours such as blue, green and grey as opposed to darker shades such as brown and yellow that are again associated with steampunk.

Keep up the good work Loa

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Looks good and is really something what is missing in TDM! (Make sure to make it fit to an AI character in length.)

What is this green thing? Is it a flexible tube? - Don't know if rubber would fit to the steam punk scenario, but hell, why not.

Btw.: Have you began mapping your hospital map as well?

Hello Radiant :),

thank for your fedback and the flexible green something similiar of you said. it's used in gardens as well to water flowers for exemple. No I'm not working in my map yet, I'm with fllood right now helping with some models.

@ Sir Taffsalot- Thank also for your opinion I really apreciate :).

Also guys I start to make some cirugial objects, I will make these ones:

http://c99.e2bn.net/e2bn/leas/c99/schools/cyq/accounts/staff/hunt800/accounts/staff/cromwell/web/Work%20in%20progress/work/17th%20Century%20Medical%20Instruments%20c

http://c99.e2bn.net/e2bn/leas/c99/schools/cyq/accounts/staff/hunt800/accounts/staff/cromwell/web/Work%20in%20progress/work/17th%20Century%20Medical%20Instruments%20b

http://c99.e2bn.net/e2bn/leas/c99/schools/cyq/accounts/staff/hunt800/accounts/staff/cromwell/web/Work%20in%20progress/work/17th%20Century%20Medical%20Instruments%20a

I've got some pointers that could help improve your models:

- Do try to bake some ambient occlusion to your models preferably from a high-poly model along with other maps (such as normals, cavity, curvature, etc), but if not at least bake some directly from the lowpoly as that'll give your models a lot more depth.

- If you have to use photo-textures try to use some that are as flat as possible where you'd preferably get the bigger shapes from a highpoly bake.

- Do use smoothing groups/split polys to make sharper edges where you've got sharp angles (i.e every angle greater than maybe 70 or 80 degrees).

- Do try to add more logical details such as scratches along exposed edges

I'd recommend you take a look at xNormal and try to incorporate that into your workflow. Even if it takes a lot longer to make highpolys the resulting models will often be well worth the extra time invested.

Hello Nosslak,

thank you for your response, sorry however if I'm answering just now.

I'll see what I can do in my models to improve them, about the details I can make examples of the same object. I had in mind making three: one more clean, dirty (which is the case I post) and rusted. Details I can add later in other example of the same object.

• 1 month later...

First time I saw the thread but i'll try and give pointers to important object details for TDM.

Polycount (more importantly Tri count) is pretty important. Doom3 can handle quite a bit more than Thief 2, but still, everything counts.

You haven't posted the counts but they look pretty high. The wireframes you show are mostly bounding boxes, maybe sub division? Things like those pastries should probably be somewhere around 100 tris max per object. You can still get a pretty rounded square at that size/shape.

And you can make a shadowmesh that is around 24 tris.

The whip cream swirl shows the tris and it is VERY high poly.

------

You should be able to find more info on the forums, I've typed it up in detail quite a few times.

You can also look in DR at objects that are similar to compare tri counts. You can also look at the wire frames to see how they were built.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

this is a 19th century copperplate

post-11230-0-96821600-1354644796.jpg

the beds cannot be seen good here but the basic layout seems appropiate to me

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Did you base this on any kind of reference? It looks awfully modern to me.

Yes I did :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrstitustrout/4619596207/in/photostream/

I thought this beds were from this time but guess I'm wrong.

--------------------

Don't worry Obsttorte despite the picture doesn't show in detail I can understand it, and thanks for posting it.

-------------------

Thanks Baddcog for the observation, will keep that in mind.