The Dark Mod Forums

Tell me about Doom1 ports and mods

Melan

So I am starting to think I need a little bit of after-work ultraviolence, and came across

, which is the most hilariously ultraviolent thing I have seen lately. I have to play this!

I would also like to play this in some half-decent modern build, so preferably no DosBox and editing weird config files to play. The downloads for Brutal DooM tell me there are versions for ZDooM, GZDoom, Skulltag and Zandrorum. Which of these is the best way to play? I am looking for a single player experience ATM, so multiplay is no issue. But user-friendliness and maybe some neat graphical effects like better light are cool.

Also, what other mods and map packs are recommended for some decent monster-killin' goodness? Recommend away, I have never really played DooM wads, and there must be some great ones (including directly for Brutal DooM, perhaps?)

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

As far as graphical effect are concerned, I don't think it gets better than Doomsday. Been a while since I've played wads though. The only ones I can recall are Final Fantasy Doom, which is absolutely hilarious, and Doom 3, a neat wad that you'll have a hell of a problem finding for obvious reasons (and no, not the one that has doom 3-like assets). Oh, and Eternal Doom (another wad you'll probably have trouble finding for the same obvious reasons)

Edited by Hyeron

"Lie to a liar, for lies are his coin; Steal from a thief, for that is easy; lay a trap for a trickster and catch him at first attempt, but beware of an honest man"

- Arab proverb

Oh damn. I installed GZDoom to try it out, and I get an error message from my monitor (a Samsung LCD):

Not optimum mode

Recommended Mode 1280 x 1024 60 Hz

Right in the centre of the screen. If I dismiss it, my screen goes black in a short amount of time. I can't set my screen to accept GZDoom's resolutions, including the recommended 1280 x 1024. The screen just shuts me off.

WTF?! NO, it is NOT the business of the screen to tell me about the resolution I should be using it, and if I set it to that res, it should not go blank on me! Apparently, this is a common "feature" of this screen type, and apparently, I would have to reboot in VGA mode (!) or hack my own registry to proceed. What. The. Hell?!

I can play in windowed mode, all right - but when did HW start dictating what I am allowed to do with it?!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I havent played Doom since forever, but I if you haven't already, I would suggest Blood 1. It simply is a cool game all around, the shooting is brutal and the sounds very satisfying (been ages since I played it too).

• Like 1

Been playing through Plutonia.wad on skill 4 lately. I'm currently on map 23 or 24. I'm a Skulltag guy myself. Its cross-platform, stable, full of features, etc. I figure after I finish this, I'll (finally) play through the other episodes of Heretic.

For your problem: start the game, press alt-enter to go to windowed mode, set your optimal resolution in the options, and then switch back to fullscreen.

Also, I REALLY love the music on this level.

Especially at 1:04.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I'll throw in another vote for Skulltag, haven't really had any issues with it.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Thanks for the suggestions, folks! I will try these options. Currently, I want to play DooM, and not the other games (though Blood is great). Suggestions for good map packs (entire episodes?) are especially welcome. :)

http://www.doomwadstation.com/mega/index.html Doom Wad Station megawads (min. 8 maps / wad). Combined with the reviews on the main page (http://www.doomwadstation.com/ - on the left, sorted by year between 2000 and 2007)). There should be enough fun in there to last you for a while. :)

"Lie to a liar, for lies are his coin; Steal from a thief, for that is easy; lay a trap for a trickster and catch him at first attempt, but beware of an honest man"

- Arab proverb

Two of my favorite megawads (32-levels packs) are 2002: A Doom Odysey, and Whispers of Satan. One is for Doom 1, the other for Doom 2. 2002 has great music and level design with lots of memorable battles. If you don't have Doom 1 or Doom 2, there is also FreeDoom. which is like a megawad in itsself. It gives compatibility for running user-levels, but also provides a new 32-level game. Even though I have the original Doom games, I use it sometimes just to have "something different".

Edited by lost_soul

About a year ago I wanted to play Hexen, which is really great and complex for a game of that era. After some research I ended up using vavoom as it is supposedly the most advanced source port and it also supports 3d enemy models and such. You can actually get a whole lot of visual and aural improvements on their webpage. Also, there are no issues with resolution or anything.

And if you want to replay Duke Nukem, try eDuke32 with the Polymer engine: 3D Models, "high" resolution textures, parallax mapping, decent shadows and great lighting. Here are some screenshots I made.

post-684-0-28830600-1346499709_thumb.jpgpost-684-0-05796800-1346499712_thumb.jpgpost-684-0-39077700-1346499714_thumb.jpgpost-684-0-35100900-1346499718_thumb.jpg

Wow, the sense of depth is really great in the first shot, and that all from a texture!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

That Duke thing is insane. Wow.

Also, playing Brutal DooM with GZDoom now. I chose the Doom2 campaign because, while the original is better, I unfortunately know it so well by now it has become boring. But Doom2 is just great for the new mod; the difficulty is very challenging but just manageable on Ultra Violence.

Yeah I generally prefer Doom 1 because of the level design, textures, and music, but the new monsters in Doom 2 were awesome. My favorite would be the arch vile because (if the player isn't careful), he can revive lots of monsters. Good mappers use this by strategically placing viles around the level.

About a year ago I wanted to play Hexen, which is really great and complex for a game of that era. After some research I ended up using vavoom as it is supposedly the most advanced source port and it also supports 3d enemy models and such. You can actually get a whole lot of visual and aural improvements on their webpage. Also, there are no issues with resolution or anything.

I would strongly suggest to you the Korax Mod 2.x (2.8 I think was the last official one? http://www.korax-her...od/overview.php); I cant play Hexen without it, it just makes the whole game more challenging, interesting, and rewarding - collecting Exp points makes it worthwhile to hunt down those monsters, which are now a lot more resistant (specially the Heresiarch, always a tough fight), cool stuff like wounds on hurt enemies, awesome and balanced stats progression, making you feel really powerful as the game advances, and very nice new powers that blend very well and distinguish the characters in a good way - new abilities/speels that recharge, new weapons (one of my favourite additions: being able to slash away with the warriors sword, which is hugely powerful as a melee weapon , don't know why they didnt do it in the first place!). Anyway, worth taking a look for sure.

Edited by RPGista

Finished Circle of Death yesterday. Kinda nerve-wracking at the beginning. The other maps tend to do that the other way; I am running out of ammo faster than regularly, so it often comes down to desperate last ditch attempts, or the chainsaw.

Yeah I generally prefer Doom 1 because of the level design, textures, and music, but the new monsters in Doom 2 were awesome. My favorite would be the arch vile because (if the player isn't careful), he can revive lots of monsters. Good mappers use this by strategically placing viles around the level.

Arch viles are just mean - their line of sight damage means you have to kill them fast and keep them from reviving monsters or you are dead. Even worse than the big brown blobs that spit lost souls at you (dunno how they are called). Also, just realised what your user name refers to. :D

• 1 year later...

New version of Brutal Doom is out.

I've played the first episode and am closing the end of the second one (Doom1). I first started playing with the hardest difficulty, but after getting my ass handed to me, I decided to play with the second-hardest.

Very fun stuff: I found myself giggling when I fried an incoming horde with the plasma gun. The brutal effects and modernized graphics and musics certainly brings the Old Classic to the next level.

Video:

Engine (also called "sourceport"):

http://zandronum.com/download

Brutal doom and music pack:

http://www.moddb.com...-doom/downloads

High-resolution texture pack:

http://dhtp.freelanzer.com/

Installation and running instructions:

http://www.moddb.com...troubleshooting

Try it out. It is cool as hell. (Pun intended!)

(You need to have the original doom WADs, or use some free ones.)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I have just recently played Brutal Doom for the first time myself and it is as good as everyone says. This incarnation of Doom is more fun than any other shooter I've played in the last few years. It's much faster than modern games and you have to move and evade instead of wait for your health to regenerate.

F@$# gamepads! :)