The Dark Mod Forums

Steam: Greenlight

PPoe

Greenlight  

93 members have voted

1. 1. when we shall start presenting TDM on Steam Greenlight?

• Imediately, classified as the "concept". We will change that on "playable" after going standalone. We need to take advantage of the attention drawn to the greenlight.
    • After going standalone. We dont want to present something that cant be playable at the moment (via Steam).
    • Never. The competition is just too strong.
    • Imediately, classified as the "playable" (DOOM 3 Steam version required). We need to take advantage of the attention drawn to the greenlight.

Alright, this say is coming from the perspective of a guy who is a big fan of Steam/Valve and is fairly new to this community, but im predictably going to say yes to this.

This is a very very good idea to put this up on steam greenlight, whether we do it now or later it will attract at least a decent amount of people to take a look at it and (if/once it gets a steam release) play it compared to anywhere else thanks to how many people use steam, and likely some people with talent may find it as well. There are a good amount of talented modelers/mappers within the steam community and that should show through the Steam Workshop that is available for some games, mainly in this case through Team Fortress 2 and DOTA 2. Getting on steam would also mean the game would have a new platform for people to be able to receive the game and it could possibly lead to new features being implemented to it such as achievements or possibly even a stat tracking system of some sort through the steam version that could possibly be able to be done without steam as well to make sure every version of the game has access to those features. Along with that, the fact that so many people use and trust steam as a platform for PC Gaming means that once/if it gets greenlit and released on steam it would probably get even more attention than simply being put on greenlight, mainly because of the fact that they always announce what games are greenlit every time they greenlight a batch of games to go onto steam.

But although I think putting this up on Steam Greenlight would be a great idea, I do think looking for alternatives is a good idea as well. Desura is another great option and that GoG system would definitely be something that should be considered if it did allow F2P/Just-Plain-Free games, but since thats not possible at the moment then I guess it will take some waiting for it to be possible, if it ever will be. And of course just simply bringing up the mod in other places than here and TTLG would help, im sure there are other websites out there that would be interested in hearing about The Dark Mod.

All in all, I think its a good idea to put TDM up on greenlight, but I think it would be a good idea to just simply get the word of this mod out as well, which greenlight would quite possibly help with alot.

To spread the word is something anyone can do.. Write to the game websites, offer them a rewiev of TDM 2.0 (standalone) or at least inform them abouth it, write abouth TDM on forums etc.. I cant do the coding or other stuff like that, that is why I helped by translating TDM to my language and by spreading the word, by suggestin that I can be the one taking care abouth greenlight. Everyone can help, even if it will be just a small task..

Edited by PPoe
  • Like 2

He was sneeking silently in the night, moonlight was his enemy.

(Im not a native speaker, sorry for all miscleanous caused by my english..)

I am definitely planning to do a review of standalone TDM at LFG.HU, a major gaming website (well... major by local standards :rolleyes:).

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Another thing I´d like to know is, if games, that got released with greenlight can receive a workshop page like bigger ones (skyrim for example). Was searching for an answer, but didn´t really find anything that would be 100% helpful so far.

If this is possible, it would be an awesome way to link new missions to the mod and let people rate them/make it easier for new players to choose. And like it was mentioned before, new modders/mappers might also join to create content.

Edited by Cookie

Let's also not forget the history of the game industry. Money ruins everything when its fast and furious. Its the long term slow earner that always profits and, in the end, profits more.

If we're in for donating to mappers or developers for supporting the community on a private basis, I am all about it and I'm ready to donate now.

If we're trying to gain more recognition through the use of services by large paid companies, I'm not.

There will be no good that comes of it other than "more money!" yippie. Everything else will suffer.

The best advertisement that was and ever will be is, word-of-mouth. Word-of-mouth works because if something isn't good, it doesn't garner people's respect and attention. If something is good however, people are more than happy to share their interest with others and that is worth way more in the end. Granted, word-of-mouth takes longer than conventional business methods but its irrefutable the results offered by it. Word-of-mouth's long term results are real, individually offered, emotional, and monumental. That's more where I'd see something like TDM, personally. It takes longer but the dividends pay much better and longer term.

Not grabbing some limelight for some short period of time only to cash in. Just saying that makes me feel ill.

Whoever initially suggested this I would take a long hard look at their profile, post count, contributions, etc. I certainly wouldn't suggest this type of attention; and don't get me wrong attention is good and nothing personal. I'm just not sure this was thought out.

In this age, anything worthy of attention garners it. Its the nature of the internet. Don't be anxious.

Edited by Lux

I don't think anyone is suggesting grabbing the limelight and charging people for the mod. There are plenty of games on Steam that are 'Free To Play' (Ok, they earn money by DLC but that's something else) and I think the majority of us who have pledged (myself included) have pledged to get TDM onto Greenlight so we can get more publicity, get a widespread platform to host and support the distribution and encourage more prople to play and add to the content available. This naturally leads to the mod getting Greenlit and put onto Steam for easy access for all (and easy updates too) - free of charge!

• 5 weeks later...

I had to register just for this thread. I don't currently play TDM cause the requirements are just too steep for my machine. However, as a longtime Thief fan who is appalled at how EM is treating the brand, I'd love nothing more than to see TDM compete with it. Now that it has gone standalone, Greenlight is a very exiting possibility, that I couldn't support more strongly!

I'll confess to not being a regular Greeenlight user, but it is my thinking that with the sheer number of Steam users, there really is no better platform available to promote this great game. According to this article, Greenlight has 15.000 regular users. The article itself is about how devs feel this is too little, but for TDM I doubt that is the case. People with access to the download servers can correct me if I'm wrong, but that is a damn big amount of potential users right there. With its obvious outstanding quality, sure to be noticed among other indies, especially now that Thief (2014) is on the way, I don't see how it couldn't get Greenlit. And if it is...whoho, that is over 40 million user accounts, exposed to this nice-looking, completely free, full 3D stealth game closely inspired by beloved classics!

Considering that, I can't believe the lukewarm response this idea has gotten here. I support having waited until the project was standalone, as first impressions do matter, but now that it is, I can't think of a single thing the dev team could do to garner exposure for their baby that would be more important than Steam Greenlight! I hear some complain about disliking Valve and stuff, but honestly, how much could you dislike them, that your pride would prevent you from letting them provide exposure for this project? How could any dislike be more important than bringing TDM to the masses?

I mean, for crying out loud, even in the extremely unlikely scenario that it doesn't get Greenlit, when these puny games did, that is still 15.000 new potential users just among the regular voters. Greenlight is a no-brainer for TDM if I ever saw one.

I mean, come on guys! It would be so frakking awesome to see TDM on Steam! I almost can't contain myself, and I don't even regularly play the game. You devs and fans should be shaking in excitement.

Edited by IHaveReturned

I wondered that myself, so I went to check their Free-To-Play section, and found a few titles that were both free to play and carried no obvious microtransations or paid DLC. I haven't determined which of those were indies (Greenlit) and which were professional, but I don't see why there would be a difference in that regard. It stands to reason most indie devs want money, which explains the trend you have seen. Broken Glass are a respectable exception.

Apparently Valve, knowing the importance of consumer goodwill, is willing to provide a service just to keep people happy, and to encourage people to sign up an account with them. Once you do, getting ensnared by ridicilously good offers is all too easy, as I can attest to even as a notoriously cheap gamer. It's worth it to them.

Hell, what I would be most worried about is Valve seeing the quality of the product, getting dollar signs in their eyes, and refusing to let it be completely free, haha! :laugh:

As for FOSS, I am no good with the technicalities. All I know is that it would be madness to not at least investigate the details. Does DOTA 2 not qualify as a precedent? Sequel to a mod, so popular the devs worried about server crashes, yet no cash involved that I know of, and free on Steam.

Edited by IHaveReturned

What incentive is there for Valve? From what I can tell, all the games on Greenlight are for profit. I don't know of a single FOSS game being distributed on Steam.

Warsow, a FOSS competitive online FPS based off of Quake 3 is going to be distributed on steam, and was able to do so through Greenlight.

EDIT: And as far as other games that are on there that will recieve no reimbursement money wise but arent FOSS, Toribashi, No More Room in Hell, Operation: Black Mesa (OP4 Remake), Neotokyo, Lost Story: The Last Days of Earth, and Black Mesa: Source (HL1 Remake) will also be distributed through steam.

Edited by MacD11

Seeing as the main site is down, presumably because of the press coverage, another benefit to Steam occurred to me: Hosting. It can't be cheap to begin with, much less to improve it to the point where TDM can support this newfound popularity. But if Steam was involved, they would host the game.

Edited by IHaveReturned

Seeing as the main site is down, presumably because of the press coverage, another benefit to Steam occurred to me: Hosting. It can't be cheap to begin with, much less to improve it to the point where TDM can support this newfound popularity. But if Steam was involved, they would host the game.

Yeah, they would host an easily accessible and easily downloadable version of the game for those who either like or dont mind using the steam software, however greenlighting it doesnt mean the game would have to switch to steam completely. For example, the other FOSS game I was talking about, Warsow, has a non-steam download on their site, and they said once the steam version of their game is up that they will still have that download up.

I just registered but I have been following TDM for a long time, as a huge fan of the original Thief games, and just wanted to throw my two cents in on Steam Greenlight.

Do it.

You can thank me later. But given the surge in popularity and momentum from going standalone, you would be crazy not to take advantage of that and get the game hosted on a platform with as much market penetration as Steam. I have no doubts at all that TDM would make the vote, provided its pitch page is designed in a professional manner, and carefully attuned to the expectations of Steam users.

Keep the name. It has recognition, and if Garry's Mod is anything to go by, no one cares if it has the word "Mod" in it, if it's a compelling and unique game (which TDM most certainly is).

But you need to act soon, get organized, nominate a chairperson and get volunteers to start putting together a pitch page.

Good luck and thank you for all your dedication! Keep the momentum going guys!

P.S. If you have a donation page, either for the Greenlight submission or general development, let me know, you guys deserve it!

Edited by Blahman
  • Like 2

problem with steams greenlight is that steam would have to be running in the background and if it can't connect to the internet then it would stop you from playing thedarkmod if it were a greenlighted game, it would say cannot play in offline mode or something like that.

problem with steams greenlight is that steam would have to be running in the background and if it can't connect to the internet then it would stop you from playing thedarkmod if it were a greenlighted game, it would say cannot play in offline mode or something like that.

True, but you don't have to make TDM Steam exclusive, it would just be an additional distribution platform. You could still download it from the official site (or ModDB/torrent) and play without internet connection.

I'd love to see TDM on Steam and will certainly chip in for the submission fee, if donations are needed.

Edited by Reman