The Dark Mod Forums

Steam: Greenlight

PPoe

Greenlight  

93 members have voted

1. 1. when we shall start presenting TDM on Steam Greenlight?

• Imediately, classified as the "concept". We will change that on "playable" after going standalone. We need to take advantage of the attention drawn to the greenlight.
    • After going standalone. We dont want to present something that cant be playable at the moment (via Steam).
    • Never. The competition is just too strong.
    • Imediately, classified as the "playable" (DOOM 3 Steam version required). We need to take advantage of the attention drawn to the greenlight.

Luckily the loading times after loading a save game when the map once is loaded are really damn quick, but maybe all this should go into a separate thread :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

One thing that should be fixed is the games necessity to quit itself after installing a new FM. I don´t know if this is easy to solve, but it kind of leaves a "this game is not a real game but still some kind of mod" feel and should be fixed for a "professional" release.

Why does everyone complain about the game restart when you change an FM or the options? At least for the options change it is normal for many other games too to do a restart and it only takes about 5 seconds and you got your new FM up and running.

+1

The restart is a requirement that comes from the engine and is needed to handle custom stuff. It may be possible to circumvent it, but it would mean a very high effort imho which is simple not worth to be done.

Automatic detection of screen resolution may be easier to implement, but I do not see a reason to lay focus on this either. If someone steps up to fix it, than fine, but if it does not get fix it does not do much harm.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I don´t know if why comment towards the game restarting after an FM install was misunderstood, but I will go more into detail.

For me personally, it doesn´t matter at all, even the often mentioned long waiting time for a mission to start doesn´t matter, I just mentioned this, because you should remember that a steam release attracts a huge amount of players and many will start nitpicking about everything. So in the interest of every person moderating this forum, it might be the best to fix the obvious "flaws" (most of them won´t even matter for the largest amount of the players, though) of the game if they aren´t too hard to fix or this place will be flooded with complaints all day. On the other hand, it might also be a consideration to ignore all those people from the beginning, as there is a large part of players that won´t even play the game for an hour at all after they installed it. (Interesting side fact: If you take a look at the global player achievements for Skyrim, you will notice that almost 14% of all players never finished the tutorial and almost a third never reached level 10. Even by taking aside people that bought the game and play offline, if you transfer those numbers to a potential TDM release, it might be worth focussing on the ones that show a long term interest towards TDM.)

I don´t know if why comment towards the game restarting after an FM install was misunderstood, but I will go more into detail.

For me personally, it doesn´t matter at all, even the often mentioned long waiting time for a mission to start doesn´t matter, I just mentioned this, because you should remember that a steam release attracts a huge amount of players and many will start nitpicking about everything. So in the interest of every person moderating this forum, it might be the best to fix the obvious "flaws" (most of them won´t even matter for the largest amount of the players, though) of the game if they aren´t too hard to fix or this place will be flooded with complaints all day. On the other hand, it might also be a consideration to ignore all those people from the beginning, as there is a large part of players that won´t even play the game for an hour at all after they installed it. (Interesting side fact: If you take a look at the global player achievements for Skyrim, you will notice that almost 14% of all players never finished the tutorial and almost a third never reached level 10. Even by taking aside people that bought the game and play offline, if you transfer those numbers to a potential TDM release, it might be worth focussing on the ones that show a long term interest towards TDM.)

In the end - those who want to play it wil play it as it is.

Today it's so convenient to push out updates that it will only boost the playerbase's interest to have more updates for TDM in the long run. Both standalone and on Steam.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

In the end - those who want to play it wil play it as it is.

Today it's so convenient to push out updates that it will only boost the playerbase's interest to have more updates for TDM in the long run. Both standalone and on Steam.

That's not necessarily true.

The point of Steam isn't just centralized and worry-free update system. It's the whole ecosystem of Steam. Trading cards is one of the non-invasive and critical features that brings a lot of people to your game. Announcements is another. Video streaming. Not to mention PC gaming for the most part happens on Steam.

if it is greenlighted, will darkradiant be included in that submission, as steam has a separate tools pane for map editing tools.

Greenlight, really? You guys are funny, in a negative way unfortunately :( I've never seen anyone being offered a good thing, ignoring it as if it was never been offered and keep pressing "we will go the hard way".

Edited by motorsep

Exactly what is it you think is being ignored?

I offered to publish The Dark Mod through my account. Get it on Steam, direct. No Greenlight and no hassles associated with it. Twice. And I still see "when TDM gets Greenlit" (unless it's already on Greenlight, in which case I would be able to publish it).

So that makes me think TDM team either not interested or there is no agreement whether to go on Steam or not any time soon.

So that makes me think TDM team either not interested or there is no agreement whether to go on Steam or not any time soon.

I saw your offer, wasn't quite sure what it meant not being familiar with Steam except as a game store, didn't get round to asking sorry because yes people are mulling over the timing. We've missed the publicity window for the 2.03 release, and the next release would give us time to make sure that the friendly newsfeeds have something to talk about other than just the Steam launch itself :ph34r: A launch between updates which would probably warrant only a footnote.

I offered to publish The Dark Mod through my account. Get it on Steam, direct. No Greenlight and no hassles associated with it. Twice. And I still see "when TDM gets Greenlit" (unless it's already on Greenlight, in which case I would be able to publish it).

Don't be obnoxious about it. I never actually saw you directly offer to straight-up publish it, which is probably my fault if it was in this thread. All the same, a stealth release wouldn't do anybody any favors. The whole point of putting it on steam is to garner publicity at the same time to grow the community: the last thing you want is to silently release in an instant and become lost in obscurity. The only people who would hear about it are the people who already know about it, but greenlight is the best way to make yourself known on Steam before releasing, because free games aren't very commonly plastered over the store page.

Really? I don't know if it's just me but I totally missed that part.

Btw. How exactly do free games get advertised on Steam? I mean, there's been a lot of talk, from me included, about how Steam would raise the amount of people playing and getting interested in TDM, but actually, i have no idea how games make it "on the front page", so to say, on Steam, like, how do they show up in the recommendations and stuff. I know there's a lot of "what you could like" on Steam depending on the games you own and stuff. But is that the only factor, or can you, like, pay to get more attention, and stuff like that?

When you're set to release, you'll show up in upcoming for a little while, and also be in new releases for a fair bit afterwards. A lot of people will jump on from that and Greenlight alone, but yeah people who play Thief or Splinter Cell or whatever will end up being recommended TDM, see that it's free and hopefully give it a go!

• Like 1

Steam doesn't really do any advertising per se. A new game gets on the front page and quickly disappears from it due to sheer amount of games released nowadays. So the only way for a free game to get noticed is to get people to review it, with thumb up preferably and have various game press outlets to write about it.

I would certainly release TDM with only a handful of good maps/missions and then shortly after release the best ones as an update. And then release the rest as a series of updates. But that's just my opinion.

Also don't release when anything else big gets released on Steam.

Steam doesn't really do any advertising per se. A new game gets on the front page and quickly disappears from it due to sheer amount of games released nowadays. So the only way for a free game to get noticed is to get people to review it, with thumb up preferably and have various game press outlets to write about it.

I would certainly release TDM with only a handful of good maps/missions and then shortly after release the best ones as an update. And then release the rest as a series of updates. But that's just my opinion.

Also don't release when anything else big gets released on Steam.

The missions can't really be 'released' though. They're available through the ingame downloader. They can be announced.

Post #244 on page 10

Post #244 is by demagogue.

If you're talking about this:

If TDM was cleared by the lawyers, I could inquire Valve about getting AppID and publishing it on Steam.

Then it's not terribly surprising people missed it.

That is the problem right there. Steam doesn't need any extra downloaders. I bet the reason downloader was implemented is to allow storage of all those missions and data on different mirrors. Steam takes care of all of that. If downloader was meant to save HDD space by selectively getting / deleting missions, we are actually in 2015, and HDD space is no issue.

I bet the reason downloader was implemented is to allow storage of all those missions and data on different mirrors

You bet wrong.

The downloader was implemented to allow users to browse available missions, get information about them, and decide which ones they would like to install, without having to leave the game.

• Like 2

It sounds messy. Sure you can leave it there and have people download mission from some servers, but why?! It will be slower, much slower than downloading from Steam.

What is the reason now to bundle the game with all missions? (or some missions)

You gotta understand that TDM and certain of its ways (downloading missions on demand) are obscure. It's not user friendly way. Download on Steam > launch the game > download mission > wait forever for map to load > play. Then if user wants to play another mission, he needs to download it yet again! Sorry, but it's nonsense.

Can someone logically explain why do you have mission downloader and why should it be in Steam version?

You bet wrong.

The downloader was implemented to allow users to browse available missions, get information about them, and decide which ones they would like to install, without having to leave the game.

...and if I recall, it was also a requested feature.

In any case motorsep, Steam is being considered as an additional distribution for the core mod...not as a replacement system.

I don't see how never leaving the game to download missions is messy.

We come from a heritage of Thief fan missions. If you think the in-game downloader is messy, try Garret Loader or even the new FMSel from

newdark. TDM's mission downloader is no more a mystery than iTunes is a mystery to those who collect songs, or even Steam itself... It's

a simplified content delivery menu. They exist everywhere from app stores, to music players, to game collections. Just because Steam, Desura,

etc, want content browsing to happen outside a game doesn't mean we should remove the feature.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)