The Dark Mod Forums

Needed for Standalone: Animated Skeleton

Springheel

IIRC we already have a newly made skull, can't the skull be made swappable? That way we don't need two?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

True, that would be weird. One quesiton, tho, will the skeleton be disassmeblable (is that even a word?), e.g. you can take the individual parts for crypts and graves and so on?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I'd just as soon see this one finished and replace all the existing bones with these, keep it all consistant.

Not sure where the new skull is from, someone on the team or was it sourced from somewhere? Sucks to have your stuff replaced if it doesn't need to be (who knows they might end up pretty similar anyway). But if it's just sourced from somewhere just kick it to the curb.

---------

here's a pic of the current loose bones. (of course there are right and left legs/arms)

Of course someone will need to scale yours to match the sizes so they don't break any maps.

And we can use ragdolls for full skeletons.

But I'd like to see all the bones broken down. Never hurts to have variety. hands, feet, half legs, rib cage...spine with hip bone, hip bone on it's own.

easy enough to break it up, weld a couple verts and export pieces (said by the one NOT doing it :D )

post-1981-0-76546400-1357924155_thumb.jpg

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

The prop skull was made specifically to replace the D3 one, and it looks great. But it isn't necessarily going to fit on this skeleton, which will likely have different colouring. There's nothing wrong with having different skulls available.

Anyway, up to you folks really I'm pretty keen to move on.

I say leave them as is and continue. :)

The UVs are done, also the image shows a few changes I've made.

post-3592-0-84604300-1358591545_thumb.jpg

With the shadow mesh, does it have to be UV'd? I assume it acts as the LOD model as well. I was planning to maybe do it after the sculpt and texture, get the more important things out of the way and that might allow me to make a more informed and decision and possibly be better equipped.

EDIT:

Just a heads up, this sculpting portion might take a bit of a while because I've decided to try and use Zbrush instead of Mudbox which is what I'm more used to. Recently I've found that out work Zbrush is being used so i though I would try and make myself a bit more relevant in my spare time.

Edited by Mr Lemony Fresh
18588.png

If you can make the shadow box as LOD model, that would be a huge bonus. You could then make the high-res really and I mean really really detailed for close-ups and people with modern machines. 10K tris for a character is basically nothing, if from 20m afar only 5K and from 50m afar only 500 are used.

However, just for the shadow mesh, you don't need an UV AFAIK. Its an uniform texture, and never be "seen" anyway.

The shadowmesh should have a uv-map or it will cause a warning in the console. But it can be as messy as you want...a default atlas uv will do.

The shadowmesh should have a uv-map or it will cause a warning in the console. But it can be as messy as you want...a default atlas uv will do.

We probably should add this info to the wiki, as it seems important.

Would it be possible to detach skull or arm from animated model? I know it not good idea for right arm or for balanced walk animation, but it could not hurt with existing crippled leg skeleton animation, and when undead swings his right arm he simultaneously throw his ribchest forward so it could look like bite attempt. I understand invisible particular ribs are to much to ask, but rigged parts? And crawling (legless) undeads could be fun too.

S2wtMNl.gif

Still a lot of a work as far as i can tell and if the flesh stops suddenly on a limb it'd look weird/comical because that never happens unless you've managed to clean the flesh of that bone (not that i know this from PERSONAL experience) a lot of the time if they have bones exposed it's because of erosion and there fore other smaller and more exposed parts of the bones have fallen off like finger bones. And even then there is usually flesh of the bones if even just a little bit. As far as i can tell it's not a plan. If you see some cool example and the team like it, by all means try convincing them but for me I have no time for specific requests.

18588.png

The close up of the skull makes me think the 'teeth' are a little tall. But in the full view it doesn't seem to bad. I dunno. Could look completely different textured... maybe it's just a fov effect.

----------

Couple ideas.

1- You can make LOD models as we have a system now for it. Of course it means more rigging... Wouldn't hurt to have at least one though, you could decimate the mesh quite a bit and at a distance (or for low end systems) it wouldn't be that noticeable. I always prefer to do it manually though, program decimation is sloppy.

(first dec could be 2500 polys, second could be 1200 first shadow and either not include shadow mesh with lowest, just make the material cast shadow OR decimate again to like 600 for low shadow)

Then the mesh is already uv'ed.

The first decimation could be the shadow mesh for the high poly. Then decimate another mesh a lot more, that could be the shadow mesh for the lowest lod model.

2- making missing bones model would be cool and quite easy. Just make two materials (skeleton_full and skeleton_missing). Both are same material definitions, same texture, just different names.

in 3d apply 'missing' to the entire bone (In case of ribs you might need to throw in a few polys to seal the spine)

Then we can make a skin 'missing_bones'. That would just swap the skeleton_missing texture for nodraw. (of course to make it more complicated the shadow mesh would need the same treatment (don't want a shadow for a missing arm eh?)

That way it's just one mesh and a texture swap. I think one version would be plenty, but someone could get crazy and make 5 versions if they were so inclined.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

There's an endless number of cool things that could be done. It's up to you how many of them you have the time/interest for. All we actually _need_ is a replacement for the existing asset.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Guys It's been a while so I think I'd report to you and let you know what's going on. I'm still chugging away at it in my spare time. Most of the time has been spent learning zbrush and figuring out the kinks in the normals mapping and fixing things. I started sculpting and realised the cheek bone uvs were buggered so I've been trying to fix that. Once I do, sculpting will continue. I should have the uvs fixed really soon. I'm just trying to re-import the base mesh without re-doing the upper divisions, so please bare with me.

EDIT: problem solved.. back to sculpting!!

EDIT: actually there's another problem but i think i can solve it.

18588.png