The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Vengeance for a Thief Part 1 by Sir Taffsalot (06/09/2012)

Sir Taffsalot

33 members have voted

1. 1. Appearance

• Poor
    • Could be better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent
  2. 2. Gameplay

• Poor
    • Could be better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent
  3. 3. Story

• Poor
    • Could be better
    • Average
    • Good
    • Excellent

Congrats for the release, man! Gotta start arranging some uninterrupted time to play this...

Thank you to everyone who has helped me in the TDM Editors Guild. A special mention to Sotha and Grayman for their quick responses and never ending patience.

Happy to help a fellow mapper!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Do I spy a new mission? Oh yeah! I do! :D

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

FIRST! (Shit I'm so stupid, now I'm again out of FMs...) Ok:

So I really liked that one! I mean it was a very well done and smooth FM, no problems with understanding of plot or the objectives. Everything very clear and nice. You make your very own kind of city but it get's a little rough and plain sometimes, you should keep up the detail. You should definetly give yourself a pat on the back for that one because it's definetly better then last mission as a whole.

However... I am not here just to glorify you. A fast feedback on the things which I found bad/annoying/sad.

So First of all when I got the knife and got out of mua prison cell I went to grab the prison key. The first thought which went through my mind was to make a prison riot but unfortunately I was unable to because you set me as an enemy for all prisoners who brought guards to kill me. Setting them on the same team would make more sense... and allowing them to run around looking for the way out would work as well. Ofc it's not very stealthy but it adds flavour to the mission.

When I got up to the interogation rooms I really hoped to see an interogation, why didnt you ask someone to record a small thingy for you? It's no big deal and everyone would like it.

Finally, when you give an objective of leaveing the place other way then the front door, then please give me at least 2 optional ways...

When I saw the city and all the wood parts of it, I knew you'll give me rope arrows, and I was glad to be able to climb all the balconies in the district. However there was one balcony which seemed too much lit, it was right on the corner of the alley from which you were starting the walk in the city. I was however quite disappointed to find out that every balcony leads to only 1 room. It seemed kinda dull.

As I was running out of the balconies to visit and I havent found the person who framed, I got a little scared and thought of climbing the windows but then it turned out to be the last balcony on my route. I was really disappointed that it ended there, no twist? I mean the mission was spread in two parts - Get out of prison, climb every balcony, end of mission. You gotta add some random events, something that will make me giggle when I find out that it is not yet the end.

On the sidenote, try to make less monumental and wide alleys, but make more of them and more of opening doors, not only on balconies :).

All in all there is still plenty of space for improvement, but it's always a pleasure to play what you create.

Hey

Nice mission. ;) However, i was a bit lost. I went through the whole prison/interrogation area, finding the evidence room key. However, i didnt found the evidence room. So i went into the sewers (without the possibility to go back ? o.o), finding the way out of it into the city. Then i walked through the whole city, finding a door near your loading screen (which i couldnt open? o.o), then i couldnt found anything more in the city (i walked through every part of it ^^)? I think I missed a big part of the mission? Mb i am just confused? ^^

Hey

Nice mission. ;) However, i was a bit lost. I went through the whole prison/interrogation area, finding the evidence room key. However, i didnt found the evidence room. So i went into the sewers (without the possibility to go back ? o.o), finding the way out of it into the city. Then i walked through the whole city, finding a door near your loading screen (which i couldnt open? o.o), then i couldnt found anything more in the city (i walked through every part of it ^^)? I think I missed a big part of the mission? Mb i am just confused? ^^

get back to area where you found key and look for evidence room or else it might not work I guess...

Well, I looked with noclip, and it dint worked, as i didnt found it. x:

The evidence room is right next to the room where you find the evidence room key. Walk out of the door, turn right, there it is!

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Added a Dropdox mirror:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17706561/VFAT1.pk4

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17706561/VFAT1.pk4

Time to start promoting...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Did a quick play through, and I have to say IMHO this needed at least another round of beta testing before release. Also you forgot to credit all your testers and contributors in the readme.

Overall, ok but could have been better. Spend a little more time on the testing phase for your next mission!

@ Pusianka - Thank you for the feedback. You make some very good points. I will bare them in mind when I start part 2.

@ Biker - I credited everyone in the first post. Crediting people is something I would never forget to do.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Played it through on hardest setting and was a bit annoyed to find that I couldn't complete it because

I missed the high value loot item and a purse in the prison and couldn't go back

One thing surprised me.

I was trying to ghost it and found that when a rope arrow was hanging from a balcony the guards saw it and waited underneath discussing it. I haven't seen this effect before. So I finished up knocking out all the guards except those with the fancy helmets.

Once I caught on to the fact that

the only way into the buildings was via balconies

it became a bit repetitive.

Edited by Oldjim